PDA

View Full Version : Best Free CAD Program

Toadz400
07-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Just wanted to get some opinions on what everyone believes is the best free CAD Program out there? The reason why I ask free is because I'm having surgery done in a few days and I'm going to be unable to do anything for a couple weeks. I figured this would be a good time to get some time in on a simple CAD program just to get the hang of it as I'm going to be taking some courses for it soon. I'm looking for good Mechanical Engineering CAD programs.

Here's a list of some free ones I found.
http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cad.htm#2D3DCADSystems

YFZ450Ridr
07-29-2007, 12:19 PM
i used autoCAD last year in my engineering class, its pretty cool and easy to use. im not sure what the cost is but you might want to check it out!

mx825
07-29-2007, 12:37 PM
that's a nice list, but i use none of them.

i'm still hooked on auto cadd;)

Quad18star
07-29-2007, 12:42 PM
I've played around with Solidworks , aCAD, and LDD ( Land Development Desktop) when I took my Civil Engineering program.

All are good programs , but my suggestion is to get the program book at follow the step by step lessons and complete the excercises (tests) or else you will develop bad habits. It's quite easy once you get the hang of it, but it's tough to start off with.

Groves187
07-29-2007, 12:44 PM
If you can find autoCad free I would go with that. Its a prety good program. But if you want a good program try to get SolidWorks. I know its not free but it has a lot of nice features like strength testing and some other nice things, It also has tutorials (spelling).

Nick

Quad18star
07-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Groves187
If you can find autoCad free I would go with that.
Nick

I'd do the same ...... but it's so damn expensive. Autodesk AutoCAD 2008 will run you over $1000.

And to think , I had a burnt copy of it on my old computer but forgot to transfer it when I switched computers . :(

Groves187
07-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I'd do the same ...... but it's so damn expensive. Autodesk AutoCAD 2008 will run you over $1000.

And to think , I had a burnt copy of it on my old computer but forgot to transfer it when I switched computers . :(

HAH, yeah... Its prety nice but after using SolidWorks and GibbsCam I dont think I could go back to AutoCAD unless I had to...

infantry317
07-29-2007, 02:21 PM
SolidWorks is really fun, I used it for 6yrs when I worked at a couple other companies. I just have Acad at my business now. :(

Groves187
07-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Yeah I wish I had the money to buy the programs we have at work, The CNC program at work is like 5K....

Toadz400
07-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Alright, I'll keep looking around for those programs, but are there none on that list that anyone would recommend or have any experience with? I guess I could just try out each of them and see what they have to offer. Thanks guys for the input.

400exrider707
07-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Autocad is closer to $3k. I've used autocad, solidworks, inventor, pro-E, Ansys and a few other FEA type programs. You can generally find any of these for free or get 30 day free trials right from the companies. Try that, that way you can use the good programs to learn on. Just make sure if you have a "borrowed" copy to not submit any work anywhere or you will be sued!!!

quadracer505
07-30-2007, 12:26 PM
sketch up is free and you can't get in trouble with it. this is a very easy progam to goof off on. I have used rhino and it is a good program to learn on if you download the tutorial book with it.

mod440ex
07-30-2007, 12:35 PM
have you thought about downloading it off of limewire or something like that, it costs you like 20 bucks for a year but its better than paying whatever it costs somewhere else