PDA

View Full Version : clutch cable melting

f150mann
07-29-2007, 09:55 AM
i broke my clutch cable so i put a new one on.. now 2 weeks later i noticed its getting melted on one side, and cant keep it off the exhaust, how do you guys have yours routed or what? i dont understnd whats wrong

zrpilot
07-29-2007, 10:49 AM
most people use a 300EX cable as it is longer.

Ruby Soho
07-29-2007, 11:23 AM
yeah the 300ex clutch cable is longer, so you can run it around the headers instead of between.

mine had melted, but didn't damage the cable itself just the housing. so i put a larger cable housing around that and taped it, the tape bubbled but it was fine

j450rking
07-29-2007, 12:52 PM
i tryed useing a 300ex cable and it didn't work what year did you guys use? i tryed a 2002 cable

f150mann
07-29-2007, 02:52 PM
there must be a way to keep it off the exhaust, honda wouldnt make it so the 400ex melts a cable every month

miller821
07-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Make sure you have the black piece that holds it in the middle on correctly.

f150mann
07-29-2007, 03:27 PM
i dont think i do.. which peice is this? could someone show me a picture.. thanks!!

Ruby Soho
07-29-2007, 03:50 PM
its alittle peice of metal that holds the cable in place

http://images.powersportsnetwork.com/fiche/images/Honda/1999/ATVs/2851_FRAME.gif

# 21 in that photo

f150mann
07-29-2007, 05:33 PM
thanks for the help guys.. that peice of missing, so i zip tied it to the coil, and it seems to be held tightly right in the middle :)

i think the problem was when i turned, it pressed against the header.

REPOMAN
07-29-2007, 08:38 PM
look on motosport.com or in a rocky mountain catalog. you can get +2 or +3 i think for use generally with extended stems. i burn mine all the time i always carry a couple extra in my trailer and when i run out i am getting the extended cable

EX LONERIDER
07-30-2007, 05:45 AM
i had the same problem happen this weekend when i put my duncan exhaust on too. i simply bent the little bracket ring back some untill it stopped resting so close on the pipe. i also made sure it wouldnt rub by turning it full each way. seemed to do just fine there after.

j450rking
07-30-2007, 06:04 AM
streamline makes braided clutch cables that come 2'' longer i think bolth motosport and rockymountain have them

svahle
07-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Here is a little trick to help keep the clutch cable from melting on the head pipe.

Under the tank is a white tray. Near the front of the white tray is a nipple that is a bit smaller than a dime. It hangs down about 3/8 to 1/2 inch. Drill a hole in the nipple. Then run a zip tie through the hole and tightly zip tie it around the cable. This helps stabalize the clutch cable when the bars are turned. Since I have done this I have yet to have a cable melt. Use a pretty heavy duty zip tie so that it does break.

Also, you can use a 300ex/250x clutch cable and route it along the frame. Then you don't even have to have the clutch cable near the head pipes.

project400ex19
07-30-2007, 09:18 PM
i had the same problem...so i turned the black angled pice...and tightened that 10 mm bolt so it was pointed in a way that would not rub on the head pipe...and i wrapped the cable with a couple pieces of Lexx Heat Tile. Seems to be working for me.

EX LONERIDER
07-31-2007, 06:00 AM
yea. most from what i can tell is not where the cable is routed through but more the angle it swoops out at near the header.... it just needs that small holding bracket bent back in order to keep it away from the header.

this past weekend when i placed my new headers on there was the first time ive had an issue with the cable touching.

svahle
07-31-2007, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
yea. most from what i can tell is not where the cable is routed through but more the angle it swoops out at near the header.... it just needs that small holding bracket bent back in order to keep it away from the header.

this past weekend when i placed my new headers on there was the first time ive had an issue with the cable touching.

In my experience, the aftermarket headers usually complicate the problem. I guess it is the difference in bend as compared to the stock headers. Also, aftermarket head pipes are sometimes larger in diameter which allows for less space between the headers.

EX LONERIDER
07-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by svahle
In my experience, the aftermarket headers usually complicate the problem. I guess it is the difference in bend as compared to the stock headers. Also, aftermarket head pipes are sometimes larger in diameter which allows for less space between the headers.

exactly. so its obvious you'll need to do some minor adjustments to compensate for the situation.

lucky for me, i caught it just in time for me to hold the cable out of the way till the headers cooled back down. i got a small pry bar and bent the tab back to where it has pleanty of clearance now. you'll also wanna check the cables movement when you turn your bars from full lock to lock. making sure the cable wont move into the header again.