PDA

View Full Version : has anyone else done this?

mod440ex
07-29-2007, 06:59 AM
i am wanting to know if anybody on here has ever added a basement under an existing house. if so how much did it cost you? where you happy with the end result?

cdrookie
07-29-2007, 07:28 AM
when i bought my house the house inspector was saying about a guy getting a basement put under his house. said it was around $19,000.

mod440ex
07-29-2007, 08:54 AM
how long ago was that, and how big was the main floor, sq ft. ours is about 1300-1400sq ft.

cdrookie
07-29-2007, 09:32 AM
i guess it was pretty recent and have no idea how big the house was. i never saw it, or knew the home owner or contractor, just repeating what the home inspector told me.

450rJam
07-29-2007, 09:40 AM
priced putting a basement under my existing 1800 sq. ft. ranch about 5 years ago, right at 25,000. That was including moving my hvac, laundry, and hot water heater down. (this was with a finished hight of 8' floor to existing joists of house)
9' option was a little more

im in kansas, I would guess your location would have a bearing on the cost as well.

mod440ex
07-29-2007, 12:26 PM
thats not to much more than haveing a foundation pored for a new house. thanks for your replies. we are trying to decide what to do to our house, add a basement or add on to the back.

mod440ex
07-29-2007, 12:27 PM
where you able to still live in your house while they did this or did you have to move out

450rJam
07-29-2007, 01:24 PM
I didnt have it done, my wife wanted to stay in town and let this be the last house we live in...........I wanted to sell it and get a place in the country with some land
well we still live in town but I spent the money on a small 13 acre piece outside of town.
pretty sure ill never build on it but I have my hopes

they where going to need us to leave the house for 3 weeks
to do the work

mod440ex
07-29-2007, 02:38 PM
thats cool we are wanting to do something to our house so when we do sell it later on we can get some decent money out of it. did you have any problems with the house settling or water leaking in, just trying to convince my wife over adding on to the back of the house. thanks for your input

Rip_Tear
07-29-2007, 07:09 PM
My dad is a house lifter here in Canada, I'd suggest putting the basement in over putting an addition on. For 1 you double your floor space and don't loose any of your lot. 2 if you decided to lift it after the addition it will cost even more. 3 if your house isn't all square and level now, after an addition try getting the whole house straight/level (it'll never happen without sub floors).

Rip_Tear
07-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Oh, and we usually let the people live in their house well the work is being done. Although some times the hydro/water/plumbing has to be disconnected, but you can put temp stuff in.

Ace Sixx
07-30-2007, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by mod440ex
thats cool we are wanting to do something to our house so when we do sell it later on we can get some decent money out of it. did you have any problems with the house settling or water leaking in, just trying to convince my wife over adding on to the back of the house. thanks for your input

The thing you have to take into consideration when adding onto or remodeling your house is that you have to be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you will recoup the cost of the project when you do end up selling it. And remember to factor in what you would pay in interest should you finance your project is some fashion. And should you pay cash for the project, you need to make sure that you would again make more than if you invested that cash some other way, i.e. money market account, certificate of deposit, bonds, etc. Many home improvement projects don't always pay for themselves in the long run.

BTW, your PM box is full.

mod440ex
07-30-2007, 07:03 AM
yeah i am trying to get all of my options and different point of views on this before jump head first into a brick wall.

i will celan it out today

RidinRed420
07-30-2007, 07:16 AM
how many floors is it? have you considered raising the roof? I dont know much about the subject, but it seems like lifting the roof would be easier/cheaper than lifting the whole house. I don't know, just another thing to think about unless you already have.