PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Surgery

Toadz400
07-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Has anyone else had shoulder surgery before? They're going to be putting anchors into my humerus to keep it connected to the socket. Unfortunately they said that the scars are going to be very minimal (was hoping I'd have a nice battle scar).

I'm going under the knife on Tuesday after dislocating my shoulder for the second time after trying to my ride my Banshee like it was my YFZ on a race track!
I was hitting a double when my left leg slipped off the foot pegs (no nerfs or heel guards) and got it caught in the axle. When I landed I was hanging off to the side with only my left arm on the handlebars and the force ripped my arm out of the socket.
Wish I had copies of my X-Rays but unfortunately the doctors took them from me. My arm was completely out of the socket and up into my arm pit above the socket.
Unfortunately I cannot work for at least two weeks after the surgery so I'm selling my YFZ to help pay for bills. If anyone is interested in it or knows of anyone that is let me know, it's in the For Sale section for $3500.

Ghost-Rider
07-28-2007, 08:19 PM
That sucks.

suzukigirl
07-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Unfortunately they said that the scars are going to be very minimal (was hoping I'd have a nice battle scar).

most people would say thats a good thing

sucks about your shoulder though...hope it heals quickly after surgery

BlaineKaiser450
07-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
That sucks.

mx825
07-28-2007, 10:57 PM
i dislocated my elbow late last year, had to have surgery on that!

I was it therapy for many, many months and the it still doesn't bend all the way.

good luck, and heal up!

Toadz400
07-29-2007, 02:04 AM
I'm guessing I will be going through some extensive physical therapy. They said it was an option to do no surgery and just have physical therapy but I would forever have a "weak shoulder" meaning there's a very high chance it will happen again (50+% chance). Since there is no way I can give up quads and I plan on racing next year I figure might as well get the surgery over with and take the better chances. I'm just hoping it will heal quicker than they say because I tend to heal faster than others. If I'm unable to race next year I'm going to be one unhappy camper.:(

I think what sucks the most about this is I won't be able to try out my DeRisi shocks until next spring....And sadly this wouldn't have happened if the shocks weren't blown when they first shipped them to me, ha.

Toadz400
07-31-2007, 11:28 PM
Well guys I had the surgery today and it went well. The pain afterwards was completely unbearable and it took about 10 mins for them to give me anything for it and for it to kick in. The surgeon told us that when he opened up my shoulder it was worse than they expected. There was nothing holding my bone in the socket and he was able to move it freely. Without surgery it would've happened again very easily and cause more damage.

I'm just glad I got it over with and I can't wait until I'm able to ride again. Unfortunately I'm out of work for a month...

quadwanter
08-01-2007, 12:41 AM
glad to hear it went well. My brother has the same problems with his shoulder, it always comes out of the socket so he is going under the knife aug 23. hopefully it will go well.

firefighterjosh
08-01-2007, 04:13 AM
I broke my shoulder and had a steel plate installed. I have a huge scar. And its been 4 years!

I also hurt my self on my banshee.

I was in physical therapy 2 months and I still only have 90% rotation

400exrider707
08-01-2007, 06:34 AM
My buddy popped his shoulder out same like you, then had surgery after, he was out of work for more than 4 weeks, and not by choice, he hates being out of work. I would expect to be out longer than 2 weeks if I was you.

Raptor68
08-01-2007, 08:18 AM
My shoulder dislocates on me every few weeks, and the more it does it, the longer it takes to get it back in. It's honestly the worst pain I have ever felt. I have yet to go have it looked at though...it's been like this for about 2 and a half years.

400exrider707
08-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Raptor68
My shoulder dislocates on me every few weeks, and the more it does it, the longer it takes to get it back in. It's honestly the worst pain I have ever felt. I have yet to go have it looked at though...it's been like this for about 2 and a half years.

It's not often I say this, and when I do its hardly justified, but I think in your case.....

you're an idiot!:rolleyes:

Why haven't you had it looked at?:confused:

Raptor68
08-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
It's not often I say this, and when I do its hardly justified, but I think in your case.....

you're an idiot!:rolleyes:

Why haven't you had it looked at?:confused:

Everyone tells me I need to get it looked at and I know I do, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. 95% of the time it feels fine and doesn't bother me at all. It's that other 5% that makes me realize I need to have it checked out...one of these days i'll get around to it.

DVXchic
08-01-2007, 09:23 AM
I had surgury on my shoulder 4 years ago, When i was 14 i slipped on ice and dislocated my shoulder, thought nothing of it, well over the years it started popping out all the time and when i was 24 i decided to have surgery. doctors couldnt figure it out all those years. anyway, they found out the muscle had torn off the bone and nothing was holding my shoulder in the front. they drilled a hole and plugged the muscle in place, WORST pain ever, i was out of work for 4 months, and it took a full 2 years to get all movement back, now 4 years later i have pulled my shoulder out of the socket again, so its not a guarenteed fix. but i wish you a speedy recovery and hope all is better afterwards.

Toadz400
08-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys, they now told me it'd be around 4+ weeks that I'm in a sling and out of work. I am one of those people that NEVER miss work and I don't think I've ever called in sick. I hate missing work and this just kills me. I'm starting school again in a few weeks and I'm going to have to take out some extra school loans just to cover my bills.

As for anyone else who's having shoulder problems, get it checked out as soon as possible. I was kinda like you Raptor68 where I kinda just shrugged it off and didn't want to think about it. I dislocated my shoulder by slipping on the ice when I was 16 and was able to put it back in myself. It hurt for a few weeks but after that it's been perfectly fine. This second time dislocating it was much, much worse and was brought to the ER to have it put back in. The only reason I decided to go ahead and see doctor's and have surgery is because I would be missing more work and possibly never be able to ride quads again without surgery. Go get your shoulder checked out, get an MRI, and get your shoulder fixed ASAP. The pain afterwards is horrible but I think it'll definitely be worth it after physical therapy and my shoulder will be back to normal (they said around 90-95% full rotation and use). If I would've had complete open arm surgery I would have less rotation but I had the microsurgery done.

Unfortunately I was unable to get any pictures of the surgery as they said they don't do that. I wasn't able to get any pictures afterwards because I was in so much pain and out of it that I forgot to ask to get some pictures of me. I'll try and get some whenever I am able to take the bandages off as I have yet to see what it looks like myself. They supposedly made four small incisions and drilled four holes into the ball end of my humerus. They then inserted anchors and then put threads through them with which they sewed it into my socket to keep it in place.

WhiteYFZ
08-01-2007, 12:56 PM
i didnt read the whole thread. but you guys dont need to tell him it "sucks" im sure he knows that already. no need to rub it in. I know how he feels. I just had surgery, and you dont need ppl saying ohh that sucks.

on another note, hope you heal up asap!

Aceman
08-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Everyone tells me I need to get it looked at and I know I do, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. 95% of the time it feels fine and doesn't bother me at all. It's that other 5% that makes me realize I need to have it checked out...one of these days i'll get around to it.

I'll bet you'll make time when it decides to pop out and it doesn't go back in..........this isn't the common cold dip****, go see a doctor!:rolleyes:

Raptor68
08-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
I'll bet you'll make time when it decides to pop out and it doesn't go back in..........this isn't the common cold dip****, go see a doctor!:rolleyes:

Dude, what's it to you? You need to calm the F down. When it gets to that point, i'll go. It has not once affected my riding and I prefer not to be laid up for months while it heals unless it's absolutely necessary.

Aceman
08-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Dude, what's it to you? You need to calm the F down. When it gets to that point, i'll go. It has not once affected my riding and I prefer not to be laid up for months while it heals unless it's absolutely necessary.

It's clear we have different definitions of what is "absolutely necessary."

What's it to me you ask? I'm just pointing out an idiot for who he really is, nothing more. If you don't like it, don't post your stupidity for others to read in a public forum.

Ghost-Rider
08-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
It's clear we have different definitions of what is "absolutely necessary."

What's it to me you ask? I'm just pointing out an idiot for who he really is, nothing more. If you don't like it, don't post your stupidity for others to read in a public forum.

His body, his injury, not your right to call him an idiot.

Toadz400
08-03-2007, 07:47 AM
I'd appreciate it if there were no fighting and name calling in this thread.

An update on today, I woke up this morning in extreme pain. I'm not quite sure if it's just because the pain meds wore off or what but it sure felt similar to after surgery. I'm going in for physical therapy today at 5pm so I'm hoping I'll feel better afterwards. I also haven't been able to take a shower since the morning of the surgery so I'm definitely looking forward to physical therapy today as I should have all my bandages removed and given the OK to shower, haha.

bwamos
08-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Shoulder injuries suck. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I have 2 bum shoulders myself. Left has a torn rotator cuff from my wrestling days. Right has a full seperation from an accident on a makeshift MX track. (the embarasing one). Was clearing the big jumps all day.. wrecked on a little whoop. Just a single 2ft tall double as it were.. LOL. Of all the things to wreck on and end up at the county emergency room on. LOL. I was 25 at the time, and I remember vividly that my first thought (even though I was 25 and had been out on my own for years) was naturally "my mother's gonna kill me". Still cracks me up.

Toadz400
08-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Shoulder injuries suck. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I have 2 bum shoulders myself. Left has a torn rotator cuff from my wrestling days. Right has a full seperation from an accident on a makeshift MX track. (the embarasing one). Was clearing the big jumps all day.. wrecked on a little whoop. Just a single 2ft tall double as it were.. LOL. Of all the things to wreck on and end up at the county emergency room on. LOL. I was 25 at the time, and I remember vividly that my first thought (even though I was 25 and had been out on my own for years) was naturally "my mother's gonna kill me". Still cracks me up.

Haha, yea my injury was embarrassing also because I didn't even crash. I wasn't too worried about what my parent's were going to think because of the pain I was in. I actually didn't call them until I was halfway home after going to the ER.