PDA

View Full Version : Please Read.

atvmaster0927
07-28-2007, 04:28 PM
OK,

Today i was supposed go and pick up my 03 400 ex. Anyway my dad didnt let me go and buy from this guy who was selling it because he didn't if anything was wrong with it(he doesnt know much about motors and stuff).

Anyway i was wondering if someone could tell me what i could look at or check on the quad to see if it runs right. Like i dont want to buy the quad and then have to bring it to a shop in like a month because the engien blew.

So can someone tell me what to look at or check on the quad to see that the quad is in good condition and will last me a long time? What parts should i look at?

Thanks,
AJ

hondaman440ex
07-28-2007, 04:33 PM
One thing you could check is the oil, is it new or not. If it isn't see how low it is, and see if you can tell if there is metal shavings in it at all. If possible just ride it. If you know anything about motors just listen to it to see if it sounds right. There will be a little bit of a ticking noise but that is normal on a 400.

atvmaster0927
07-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by hondaman440ex
One thing you could check is the oil, is it new or not. If it isn't see how low it is, and see if you can tell if there is metal shavings in it at all. If possible just ride it. If you know anything about motors just listen to it to see if it sounds right. There will be a little bit of a ticking noise but that is normal on a 400.

I know barely anything about motors. I am kinda dumb when it comes to motors. =/ Anything else though?

400exrapes
07-28-2007, 05:20 PM
well aj, besides that im your neighbor and i know everything you'll need to know about 400ex's.

1.Pull the Dipstick out and check the oil, it should be between the lower and upper part and make sure its like a light green-clear color which means its new.

2. Start it, if its already started, kill it and start it yourself. See how it starts if theres a problem then theres something wrong.

3. See how it idles is there any smoke? Does it backfire?

4. Take it for a spin, a full throttle spin and if it hesitates, backfires or is not pulling you through the entire gear then somethings wrong.

5. Check the tires,rims, arms, axle, swingarm and frame to see if theres any bends, breaks , tears or plugs around there.

6. Ask if he has the title and registration and check just before the bumper on the frame there should be a vin number and above it to the left the atv year number.

If all 6 of these look good then check the plastics in good condition but otherwise if those come back posotive its a good quad

miller821
07-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Just remember... Continuous blue smoke=Bad.

Ruby Soho
07-28-2007, 06:11 PM
if theres any work to the motor ask for receipts so he can prove to you that it was done and if hes lying about anything

atvmaster0927
07-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Evrything on the quad is stock. Except it has nerf bars, front bumper, and renthal handelbars.

xc_racer1
07-28-2007, 07:26 PM
another thing u wanna check is the clutch plates. put the quad in second and ease off the clutch and give it little gas. it u can hear something wining or grinding they are bad