PDA

View Full Version : Crank collar??? HOW DO U REMOVE??

440challenger
07-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Got the quad all apart, replacing the right hand side crank seal. Honda throws the seal in the bag with the updated crank when you buy it new. And in shipping the crank likes to bounce around and crush the seal...i did what i could with the buggered seal and hoped for the best but with a few rides noticed the quad was transfering oil. long story short... I got a new seal, but how the heck am i going to get the collar off the crank so i can install the new seal. Its got a small lip on the edge of the collar, but i never seen a puller small enough to get in there. Any suggestions??? THANKS!!!

370kingR
07-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Even though you already knew this im going to say it. Why in the hell would you trust a banged up seal on one of the most critical spots on the motor???

OK now that thats said, i dont see why you need to remove the collar to replace the seal. The collar is pressed on if its an updated crank or if its still stock, it just slides on and off. You can only remove it if its not the pressed on one but either way you have to split the cases to do so.

Just carefully dig the old seal out of the case without damaging the case or the collar and fit in the new one. Mayby use a very small flat head screw driver and a hammer and dig it out of there, again VERY CAREFULLY.

Best of luck. Next time though dont be in such a rush and get a new seal!

chad502ex
07-29-2007, 12:39 PM
sounds backwards to me...

I have a sticky thread in this section referring to the kit and instalaltion...

400exrider707
07-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah exactly what chad said, sounds like someone put the crank collar on backwards. You shouldn't have to remove anything but the outer case cover. No need to split cases, and the collar should NOT have to come off.

440challenger
07-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Well i did get the collar off with some heat and a rear end bearing puller. I guess the collar is on backwards?? It works fine, have about 20 hours on the quad. Finished the motor up saturday and it runs like a top. No more oil transfer etc.

I dont think the collar being on backwards can hurt anything???

370kingR
07-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Just check over everything closely and make sure nothing else has been damaged. You may have got'n away with one there but be sure....

400exrider707
07-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by 440challenger
Well i did get the collar off with some heat and a rear end bearing puller. I guess the collar is on backwards?? It works fine, have about 20 hours on the quad. Finished the motor up saturday and it runs like a top. No more oil transfer etc.

I dont think the collar being on backwards can hurt anything???

It being on backwards would probably make the seal not "seal"