PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a '99, have some questions

Gasman
07-28-2007, 08:18 AM
I just picked up a '99 250EX in mint, showroom condition with maybe 15-20 hours on it. Got it for $1800. I just dropped about $1200 in mods to get it ready for S-class XC racing here in Michigan. I have a few questions.

My '99 has hydro front brakes, but they're drums instead of discs. Since EVERYTHING I look up for parts for 250ex's shows for '01 and up, I assume the '99's and '00's were unique. Are the front drums the only difference between my '99 and the '01 and up? I know about the plastic and sport clutch on the '06-'07. If I found some spindles, hubs, rotors, and calipers from a later model, will the spindles fit my a-arms? Will any other spindle/hub setups fit (like 300ex) or would they have to be 250ex?

Also, since our XC races are dead-engine start, I need to be able to start in gear. I assume there is just some kind of neutral safety switch involved here, meaning there should be some wires I can cut/disconnect/bypass to get around the neutral deal. Anyone know how I can do that?

Gasman
07-28-2007, 03:12 PM
After some web investigation, I just found out that there was no 250ex in '99. Turns out I must have a Recon with 250ex plastics and seat. Oh well, the questions still apply.

Gasman
07-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Does anyone know how to bypass the neutral safety switch????

m.h.s.c.#527
07-31-2007, 02:25 PM
someone put a rev limiter and they can start in an gear

Gasman
07-31-2007, 05:45 PM
I don't want/need a different CDI box. I put one on my old 400ex and it wasn't worth the $$. Since I race in the woods, I'd prefer low-end power over an extra 1500 RPM, especially with some of the running problems I'm reading about with the rev boxes on 250ex's.

There's gotta be a way to get around the neutral safety switch. It's gotta just be a wire coming from a switch or sensor in the tranny. Without a service manual I don't know what wire(s) I'm after, and if it should be grounded or hooked to hot to defeat the safety switch.

I also need to know what wires you guys are using to tie in your tether switches. Maybe you know since you run XC too and probably have one?

450rJam
08-01-2007, 04:58 AM
try to find a service manual, I dont have one or I would look it up for you. after dropping 1200 in mods the book will be cheap help.

Gasman
08-01-2007, 06:28 PM
True, but free advice is cheaper. :D I suppose I should have one anyway for when/if I get around to putting a cam in.

Gasman
08-01-2007, 08:05 PM
I don't need no stinkin' manual. I figured it out myself. Here's the scoop:

On the rear of the tranny case underneath, right around the swingarm pivot, there is a small steel guard held on with two 10mm-headed bolts. Take the bolts out and remove the guard to expose two rubber wire plugs. One is labeled "R", the other "N". Obviously, one is the neutral indicator, the other for reverse. Those wires are hot, meaning they have current whenever the key is on. When you put it in neutral or reverse, something metal in the tranny makes contact with the post that the corresponding wire is connected to. Since the motor and tranny are grounded, the contact grounds the wire. If you take the wire off the "N" terminal and touch it to the frame while in gear with the key on, the neutral light will come on. This fools the ignition into "thinking" it's in neutral, thus allowing it to start even though it's in gear. The easy way to do the bypass would be to put a ring terminal on the end of this wire and connect it right to a ground. I'm going to tap into the wire with another wire in a "T". I'll leave the plug connected to the tranny, and run the other wire up to a small toggle switch I'll mount in the side panel where I moved the key switch to. Then I'll run a small wire from the other side of the toggle switch straight to ground. That way I can leave the toggle "off" and the neutral safety will operate normal, or I can flip the toggle "on", grounding the circuit, turning the neutral light on, and it will start in gear.

Hope that's clear as mud. You're welcome. :D

honda300EXtreme
08-01-2007, 08:39 PM
if your just trying to set it up so you can start it in gear why dont you just splice the saftey wires to gether on the clutch perch?

450rJam
08-01-2007, 09:19 PM
you just dropped 3 grand into a 1999 250 recon and your going to start penney pinching now ? lol j/k
you may be able to download it off the net to save some $$

im looking forward to seeing some pictures of the monster your creating

hint hint