PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Jet Question......

Ry007
07-28-2007, 01:56 AM
Hey everyone.... Quick question. I have an 04 400ex with no airbox lid, K&N W/Outerwear, Stock Muffler/header, Just installed a DynoJet Kit Stage2 with 165main and 190needle 3rd clip. I ride at about 1000ft to 2000ft elevation. I installed it exactly to DynoJet specs. My question is why would dynoJet not have pilot jets with their kit, Or do I even need to worry about it? I read the forums on jetting but I was needing a lil' more insight. The thing rips compared to stock now and My jetting is perfecto.... Would I see an increase in bottom end with the pilot jet upgrade? what is the stock pilot jet and what should I upgrade to? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

casey_lamm
07-28-2007, 10:09 AM
for me I would only touch the pilot if you are having trouble starting.

I put a size 40 in and it starts 1st time...everytime... and idle better in my opinion.

Originally posted by Ry007
Hey everyone.... Quick question. I have an 04 400ex with no airbox lid, K&N W/Outerwear, Stock Muffler/header, Just installed a DynoJet Kit Stage2 with 165main and 190needle 3rd clip. I ride at about 1000ft to 2000ft elevation. I installed it exactly to DynoJet specs. My question is why would dynoJet not have pilot jets with their kit, Or do I even need to worry about it? I read the forums on jetting but I was needing a lil' more insight. The thing rips compared to stock now and My jetting is perfecto.... Would I see an increase in bottom end with the pilot jet upgrade? what is the stock pilot jet and what should I upgrade to? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dariusld
07-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Dynojet says that there is enough adjustment in the pilot screw, to not need a bigger pilot jet. I read somewhere the equivalent of adjusting the screw to a certain size jet, but I don't remember. Like 3 1/2 turns = 40 pilot jet , this is just an example not a true number.

hondaman440ex
07-28-2007, 12:46 PM
If I am having troubles with it idling when it is warm do I have to change the pilot jet? When it is cold it starts kinda hard but then it will idle until warm then I cannot start it unless I keep the throttle wide open.

honda300EXtreme
07-28-2007, 12:52 PM
i would suggest a 42 pilot, it really helps with cold starts and should eliminate any popping on decel.
it will idle better also.

casey_lamm
07-28-2007, 07:56 PM
humm...i went with a 40 and am at 3.5 turns out...maybe thats why i didn't need the 42...oh well...I didn't know that though.

Originally posted by dariusld
Dynojet says that there is enough adjustment in the pilot screw, to not need a bigger pilot jet. I read somewhere the equivalent of adjusting the screw to a certain size jet, but I don't remember. Like 3 1/2 turns = 40 pilot jet , this is just an example not a true number.

CarGuy7a
07-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by dariusld

don't know where they get that from but from my experience that is the falsest statement. but there is enough with a stock pilot for the stock lid on. i believe the stage 2 jet kit is for running with the lid off. at least that's what my kit says.

i had mine at 3 1/2 turns on the stock pilot and it was soo lean when i put my vented lid on it wouldn't even start. i put a 40 in it at 1 1/2 turns and no problemo.

i also heard that once you get past 3 1/2 turns it doesn't do anything more for fuel flow.

Ry007
07-28-2007, 08:36 PM
I opted not to change the pilot jet unless starting becomes a problem, wich it isn't. As for now, I am running just right at 3 3/4 turns out. That qtr. turn made a big difference in bottom end acceleration. I have been fooling around with it all day. So 165main 190 needle 3rd clip, Stock pilot, and 3 3/4 turns out and I am golden! DynoJet Instructions Rock! It's all up to you to get er' done right! Hands down the least expensive HP increase!Thanks for all the info guys.... This is really the best site...