PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

95300exrida
07-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Ok i got serious trouble with my 1999 400EX. I took a link out of the chain to shorten it but ended up makin it too short but i tried to make it work anyway so when i got my chain on it was stupidly tight. So i decided to putt around my yard to try and stretch it a bit and i was going along in second gear when it started grinding inside the tranny so i shifted into first and the grinding continued so i shut it off and now its jammed in gear and the gear shifter doesnt do anything anymore, the sprocket wont turn and when the engine is run the grinding continues. I know its all cuz i tried to salvage my chain and now its going to cost me so save your comments please but what do you guys think is the problem?How hard is it to work on your tranny?i know you have to split the cases and everything and ive never done that but there is a first for everything right?id like to not pay for labour costs if at all possible. but any help from you guys on what is broken or what you guys think would be greatly appreciated thanks:)

JOEX
07-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by 95300exrida
Ok i got serious trouble with my 1999 400EX. I took a link out of the chain to shorten it but ended up makin it too short but i tried to make it work anyway so when i got my chain on it was stupidly tight. So i decided to putt around my yard to try and stretch it a bit and i was going along in second gear when it started grinding inside the tranny so i shifted into first and the grinding continued so i shut it off and now its jammed in gear and the gear shifter doesnt do anything anymore, the sprocket wont turn and when the engine is run the grinding continues. I know its all cuz i tried to salvage my chain and now its going to cost me so save your comments please but what do you guys think is the problem?How hard is it to work on your tranny?i know you have to split the cases and everything and ive never done that but there is a first for everything right?id like to not pay for labour costs if at all possible. but any help from you guys on what is broken or what you guys think would be greatly appreciated thanks:)
I've never done this so it may or may not work....

Disconnect the chain, remove the hex bolt on the left case. With a ratchet and socket that fits on the bolt turn the ratchet counter clockwise and try shifting gears. If everything feels smooth then you should be good to go with the correct chain.

No guarantees though...

gojk
07-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by 95300exrida

THere is no telling what damage could have incurred while doing this. I would pull the chain off and see if the the grinding noise continues without the chain. I have bent the main transmission shaft and it made a horrible grinding noise.

Also, working on the tranny is by far the most complicated part of the 400ex engine.

95300exrida
08-01-2007, 09:05 PM
yeah i took the chain off and tried it and the sprocket didnt move at all and the grinding continued...any ideas what it could be?