PDA

View Full Version : Honda's Sport Clutch

flybub
07-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Hey all I'm looking for a quad for my wife and I've had my eye on the 250ex for a couple months. The only thing I'm not sure about is the sport clutch. What is it? How does it work? She has never ridden a manual atv. I thought about getting her an automatic but she does not want a utility. She really likes the look of the 250ex. Can someone explain to me how this clutch works? Thanks.

07250ex
07-27-2007, 08:50 PM
exactly like a regular one except it does not stall... personally i would not get her this =/ id get her a 400ex and teach her how to use a clutch

flybub
07-27-2007, 08:55 PM
I have an 05 400ex but for some reason she just can't get the hang of using the clutch (going up hills, slow corners, etc.), plus she has also made it clear she doesn' want that much power. She will only be riding maybe a weekend a month so I don't want to spend alot of money.

However thanks for the input, much appreciated.

bigconig
07-27-2007, 09:02 PM
I think the sport clutch is a great idea. If she wants to ride using the auto clutch she can ignore the manual clutch altogether, all she will need to do is let off the throttle and shift. If at any point she decides she wants to learn how to use a manual it's there and feels just like a manual except it won't stall.

I've been riding bikes for years and am very used to a manual clutch but I have to admit even though I shift manually 90% of the time on my ex the auto feature is nice on tricky trails while I get used to the whole off road thing. (plus ya gotta love $3200 out the door) :D

07250ex
07-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by flybub
I have an 05 400ex but for some reason she just can't get the hang of using the clutch (going up hills, slow corners, etc.), plus she has also made it clear she doesn' want that much power. She will only be riding maybe a weekend a month so I don't want to spend alot of money.

However thanks for the input, much appreciated.

no problemo if she really cant get used to the clutch maybe the 250ex is the way to go if she still wants gears, maybe you could opt for a 300ex

450rJam
07-28-2007, 02:52 PM
I had same problem, I gave my wife my old 250r so we could spend some quality time riding, it was too much for her and she hated the clutch. I got her an 05 250ex (not sport clutch)
and she loves it, she is pretty addicted now and wants to go every weekend. I thought she would want more power but she is 100% content to cruse around taking pictures etc.

dont get me wrong the little thing is fun and almost too easy to drive (3rd gear wheelies are easy)

outlaw450r
07-28-2007, 02:57 PM
My wife has one and loves it. Basicly if you want to use the clutch you can and if you don't want to you don't have to. It's a great way to learn in my opinion. Here's a pic of my wifes.

smokinwrench
07-28-2007, 10:49 PM
We just got a 250ex for my boy, we love it. BUT for my wife we have tried a couple quads. We had an old trx250ute, it was perfect but she upshifts really well but never seems to down shift correctly, so she never has enough power to climb anything.

We have owned a 500 scrambler for her for a few years now, it is by far the best quad a non agressive person could ever own. Easy to ride looks sporty(requirment of the wifes)power out the wazzoo, never have to shift.

JBacon
07-29-2007, 03:41 PM
well, if she wants no clutch at all, just get an 05 or older model thats semi auto, it may not look as cool but it doesnt have that sportclutch at all.

flybub
07-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Took the wife to the local dealership yesterday (Sunday 7/29) and she rode an 06 250ex but felt uncomfortable on it. So we pulled out a used 2000 Polaris Scrambler they had and she liked that much better.

However, this afternoon (Monday 7/30) she found out at work she was getting a promotion which required her to work every other weekend with Wednesdays off. She decided there would only be time maybe once a month, if that, to ride so we are putting her quad on hold for now. I still appreciate all the help everyone gave and will keep it in mind for when the time comes again. thanks.

JBacon
07-31-2007, 12:32 PM
oh no, not crapolaris.....:rolleyes: get ready for problems