PDA

View Full Version : I have an axel problem!!! Only reply if you know what your talkin about.

DantheEXman
10-24-2002, 05:47 PM
I have a problem with my axel. I think that it is SLIGHTLY bent on the right side. When i jack the quad up and put it in first to look at the wheeles... I see the right wheel wobbel verry little, like the hub us bent or something. Will It hurt me or my machine to continue riding like this? Because i ca only notice it when going slow. Anybody with experience in this before I would like to hear what happned. AM a looking at a new swingarm or carrier and axel? Or am I ok? Thanks alot guys. And Please, no stupid answers.;)

terribleone28
10-24-2002, 05:54 PM
Hey, I had the same problem with my stock axle or so i thought. But it was actually my stock rim was slightly bent. So if you have stock rims that could be your problem. It is also very easy to tightin your hub so you could try that too. To check what it is you should switch the tires around on the axle that makes it eaiser to determine the problem.

Ex'r Marlin
10-24-2002, 06:06 PM
With the rear wheels off the ground, start your atv up and put it in 2nd or 3rd gear. Observe the center of the wheel where the axle comes through it. Looking at the axle, does the axle wobble? If the axle does not wobble, then most likely you have a bent rim. If the axle wobbles a little... I would make sure the axle is properly tight to the axle carrier. Obviously, if everything else checks out ok, then most likely the axle is bent.

As for being ok to ride it with a slight bend in the axle... I would think it would be "ok". It may start to wear your tires some, but other than that, it shouldn't hurt anything. If you have a very noticeable bend... It will definetly affect your riding, and possibly cause your axle bearing to fail sooner.

Good luck!

Pappy
10-24-2002, 06:16 PM
sounds like good advice dan....try them....

10-24-2002, 06:19 PM
the best thing to do is take the wheel on that side off and look at the end of the axle if thats straight then its your wheel, you ever think your eyes might be playing tricks on you? it happens..... i have a stock axle thats straight if urs is bent

DantheEXman
10-24-2002, 06:49 PM
Thanks ALOT guys. Great stuff to try. Ill be switching mu wheels tomorrow. thanks. Oh, and if something did happen to the carrier, it would JUST be the carrier, axel, and berrings right? or would this affect the swingarm

redrider ex
10-24-2002, 07:07 PM
it shouldn't hurt any thing

tprender
10-24-2002, 10:11 PM
If you are riding on dirt a slight bend in the axle will not hurt anything. The reason for this is that the ground is not flat. This is the same reason that we don't balance our tires if you ride only on dirt. If you do most of you riding on the street or on very flat ground like a TT track you will notice the wobble.
I have a slight wobble on my axle and I have been riding with it for almost a full year and have no problems with the bearing or anything else. But, just incase keep and eye on the bearing anyway.

10-24-2002, 10:19 PM
or just put up on jack...set up dial indicator ..turn slowly read indicator ...this is alil extreme but you compare one side to other
..it works ...

DantheEXman
10-25-2002, 06:59 PM
Good news guys. Its not the axel... But! I believe the rim is bent but im not worried about this at all. Thoes little fin things are bent on the rim, causing it to do "the wave." ALSO when i was comparing my wheels, I noticed my other wheel's hub is loose. The axel nut that goes on the outside of the spindel with the cottor pin is a little loose. In other words, if the axel is locked up, I can spin the wheel like 1 mm. THere is a little gap inbetween the inside of the hub where it touches the axel and the axel. All this needs is a little tightining. The only problem is that i dont know about cottor pins and i didnt want to mess it up. So how do I remove the cottor pin to get to the axel nut? Thanks

10-26-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by DantheEXman
Good news guys. Its not the axel... But! I believe the rim is bent but im not worried about this at all. Thoes little fin things are bent on the rim, causing it to do "the wave." ALSO when i was comparing my wheels, I noticed my other wheel's hub is loose. The axel nut that goes on the outside of the spindel with the cottor pin is a little loose. In other words, if the axel is locked up, I can spin the wheel like 1 mm. THere is a little gap inbetween the inside of the hub where it touches the axel and the axel. All this needs is a little tightining. The only problem is that i dont know about cottor pins and i didnt want to mess it up. So how do I remove the cottor pin to get to the axel nut? Thanks

I just did this on my quad cuz the same thing happened. Just bend the cotter pin untill it is straight and then pull it out(its not that easy but thats the idea) unscrew the castle nut and pull off the whole wheel and hub. Clean the splines and inside the hub amd put some grease on it then slide it back on. Take the nut and put some blue loctite on it then tighten the castle nut. Make sure when you tighten it that the holes in the nut line up with the hole in the axle so the pin could fit through. Mine was a little off so i had to jam the pin back in a little crooked and bent. Then bend the pin back out over the nut and u should be done. its not that hard. The size of the nut is 27mm but u can use a 1 1/16. Also make sure u have an extension to fit in the rim.

jaspurx
10-26-2002, 02:19 PM
i had a problem like that when a banshee t-boned me!!! thats right!! he was trying to catch up to me!! when i turned he t-boned me. perfect case scenarrio. bent both of my wheels. they wobbled fast or slow. i thought it might be hubs or axle , so i put the back end up , took off the wheels , got out the ruler , and started it iu , put it in gear. held the ruler next to the rotating hub , and i had my answer. the wheel studs were all coming up to the same helght on both sides. you can also take the hubs off to check for bent axle this way. not too tricky at all!!!!

mcmike
10-26-2002, 08:09 PM
The easiest way to check to see if its the wheel, or the axle, is put your quad swingarm on a jack stand, start it up, put it in second gear, watch the wheels and the axle. Then just pull the wheels off, and watch your hubs. If they don't wobble, its your wheels, not your axle.:D