PDA

View Full Version : Head Lights for Racing

MossboysRacing
07-26-2007, 09:15 PM
My brothers and I are planning to run the Maxxis 12 hour race in Texas later this year. We will be running his 450r and taking my good old 250r as back up. The problem is that i have no lights at all ! I have a complete, un-cut, wiring harness with all connections, but no stock on/off/light switch. I have a Ricky Stator 100 watt stator and was looking for ideas about aftermarket lights. Putting on an 86-87 model light or an 88-89 hood mounted light isn't an option. I have seet the trail tech lights advertised with 2 35watt lights but was wondering if that was going too be enough light to race at night? Also, I have seen truck/suv driving lights for pretty cheap and i am smart enough at wiring, but most of these lights are DC. Arent 250r's AC? Any opinions or experiences with diffenet set-ups will be appricated... sorry for the long post

svahle
07-27-2007, 06:33 AM
Do you have the voltage regulator? If not, you'll need one. You can do a search for the wiring diagram. They are pretty cheap on ebay. Also, if you post that you need a voltage regulator someone will likely chime in.

As for lights, I have both a Ricky Stator set up and the trail techs. Both work well. I think the Ricky Stator set up looks a little better and is probably a little more durable. But either would probably be fine. For that type of a race I would stay away from the automotive lights. I've tried some of them with fair results. Over time they tend to burn out from all the bouncing around and the beating they take when mounted on a quad. Lazer Star also makes a set up similar to the Ricky Stator and Trail Tech set ups. I think any of those three would be your best option.

With a 100 watt stator, you really can't go any higher than a total of 70 watts. Anything more and you risk damage to the stator. Not something you want to happen at night in the middle of a 12 hour race. If you want more wattage you will need a different stator. Ricky Stator makes a 200 watt stator that would support more wattage.

wishmasstir
07-28-2007, 06:15 AM
this is a baja designs setup