PDA

View Full Version : Question about my old 50cc motorcycle...

AtvRider02
10-24-2002, 05:26 PM
Okay, I have a 1978 Honda 50cc motorcycle. It has been setting for quite some time now, and I decide I wanted to get it running again. Well, the first thing I wanted to check out was the gas tank. I took it off and looked inside it and it has quite a bit of rust in it. It was also rusted on the bottom (on the outside). I started spraying it out with the water hose and noticed 2 holes in the bottom. What should I do to plug these holes?

It doesnt have an air filter either so, what kinda motor damage could it have? It wasnt ridden far without one but still. I know I should get a plug and clean the carb, but is there anything else I should do? You all know your stuff so, please help!

Oh yea, Im only 15. :(

4punksdad
10-24-2002, 06:14 PM
buy an aftermarket tank. I have seen jb weld work in this situation before, but its not a long term fix.

for the rust inside the tank,,,,,,,,,,,,fill it about 1/2 way with coca cola & throw in about 200 BB's, then shake well. This should clean it up a little.

then do the obvious tune up stuff & try to fire her up. good luck

Taco
10-24-2002, 06:27 PM
pour some motor oil in the sparkplug hole and let it set in for a few days then kick it over with the sparkplug still out.

AtvRider02
10-24-2002, 06:34 PM
I would buy a new tank, but I just wanted to fix it up with the least $$ possible. I may try jb weld. Would you be able to put a spot of weld over the two holes? Would this work? and What about the rest of the rust under the tank that doesnt have holes (yet)? Just leave it alone or what?

Is there anything else I could try besides the coca cola?

What would the motoroil in the spark plug hole do? So, I pour it in, leave it for a few days, kick it a couple times, then put the plug in?

thanks alot for the tips!!

TheX1992
10-24-2002, 06:44 PM
you couuld spot weld but you wouldnt be alive to ride it. welding + ANYTHING thats had gas in it = explosion. some guy that lived by me was welding a 55gallon barrel that had gas at one time in it. he cleaned it out many tiems but it still blew up. it soaks in the metal i guess. i used jb weld on mine or something similar to it. they say it works good up to 1/2".

AtvRider02
10-24-2002, 06:49 PM
I guess your right. I never really thought. Since it hasnt had gas in it for such a long time, I guess it just slipped my mind. Ill just have to try JB Weld then. Thanks for your help.

10-24-2002, 06:58 PM
jb weld will only work for a lil while, go to the automotive store they have gas tank repair thier that will do the trick perfectly, they also have a cleaner to get the rust out, u do it in multiple steps and all the rust is gone, oh yeah, that tank is gonna be diff than anything u can purchase now, i think the 78-79 had sam style and there have been alot of diff ones, try doing the repair first, it will cost u 30 bucks at the max, be patient and take yer time and it will come out good, i beleive your z 50 has the fold down bars and adjustable seat height etc? the newer tanks will not fit that.

redrider ex
10-24-2002, 07:03 PM
the tank repair stuff is called tank cream it forms a plastic type coating in the inside of the tank good stuff

EricB
10-24-2002, 07:07 PM
yeah you could def use JB weld. maybe a more peminate fix would be to somehow get a thin metal plate over the holes and JB weld that on. or just fill the hole with JB weld. keep in mind it takes about 16 hours to totaly setup. i'd let it sit for about 24 hours before putting any gas in it though.

AtvRider02
10-24-2002, 07:25 PM
Ill go to Advance Auto sometime soon, and see if i can find anything. If not, or its alot of $$, then Ill probably just JB Weld it. The holes arent that big at all. Id hate to ride it and all my gas come out though!

Any one know of a air filter that I could "rig" up, it doesnt have a box or anything. lol. This bike maybe more trouble than its worth. Thanks for the tips guys!!!

10-24-2002, 07:44 PM
well...u should do it right the first time, do the gas tanke repaier as the first cover then run small coat of jb weld, there can be no gas in the tank and the cap has ot be off...you can buy like "pod"filter from uni, just measure the opening on the carb, i think dennis kirk sells them , those still go fro 300 or 400 bucks around here if they look and run good

AtvRider02
10-24-2002, 07:55 PM
Ill have to look and see what I can find. How would the gas tank repair work? Do you pour it in tank or apply from the outside? So, Ill need to pick up a plug, some more motor oil, some "gas tank repair", and some JB Weld.

I have had several people see it and ask if its for sale. :D It is in decent shape, you know rust here and there. Im gonna fix it up a little though. Ill have to go outside and look tomorrow, but I think i also need a kill switch. Would a simple little toggle switch work?

When me and my bro get a quad, we will probably sell it and use the $$ for some mods. Thanks alot for your help.

Also, where do u live, freeride132?

10-24-2002, 08:16 PM
i live in upstate new york about 45 minutes west of albany by cobleskill...

here is what ull need

gas tank repair ( to fix the hole)

gas tank cream or the cream the guy said in the one post

a lil jb weld

use the cream until u have the tank rust free , then patch the hole, then mix some jb weld over the gas tank repair, you can sand it a lil, then paint the tank up wait til the gas tank repair has cured before u put the jb weld over it,

the filter you can get from dennis kirk , its uni i think, meausre the diameter of the opening of the carb

the gas tank repair mixes kinda like jb weld ithink

AtvRider02
10-24-2002, 08:25 PM
Okay, Ill tell you what I find for the gas tank. Thanks for the info.

I am looking on Dennis Kirk's site right now, and cant seem to find what you are talking about. When it asks for the model, It doesnt have a Z50. I guess Im outta luck, unless you can find it. But seriously, thanks for your help.

10-24-2002, 08:27 PM
no problem, you wont find it on his site, order his catalog or go to the local shop they will hook u up with what im talkin about

AtvRider02
10-24-2002, 08:32 PM
I have the catalog. I am looking at it now, do you have MSN Messenger or AIM, so we dont have to keep posting back and forth?

10-24-2002, 08:48 PM
yeah im gettin off now, go to the air filter section it will say universal or pod filters