PDA

View Full Version : need help?

hawaiikfx400
07-26-2007, 03:49 PM
ok i have an 06kfx400 with low hrs on it.i just moved from hawaii to WA, i had the bike shipped so it sat on a barge fo about a mounth in a half.i put more oil in it and coolant connected the batery ect and went out to ride.it staurted fine idled fine then i got to the trails.it was hard to staurt then when riding it would jerk allitle and backfired (poped) a few times and kept dieing.and getting harder to staurt.it would only staurte on prime with choke on and it was hot outside.i cleaned the air filter.should i check the carb to see if its getting gas spark plug?im not sure.also is this covered to be checked under extended warrinty?well thanks ahead of time.i finally have better places to ride and my bike running like sh1t.thanks again

yellowzo3
07-26-2007, 04:18 PM
well, thats a HUGE change in climate and elevation... your probably going to have to reject. if it would only run with the choke on and on prime i think you need to get bigger jets (not sure which ones, depends on when it will sputter...1/2 throttle, 3/4 throttle, idle? and yes, clean your carb while your in there and drain the gas if its been sitting, as all the dirt will settle to the bottom and clog your jets. try cleaning it all out first before changing jets, it might be just that and might save you a few bucks. im not 100% sure on the jetting so if im wrong someone is sure to chime in and lend a hand.

drzoo2
07-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Good point on altitude. What is the difference between the two? Is the bike stock? What do you have for a main jet?

z

hawaiikfx400
07-27-2007, 12:01 AM
stock bike.not sure on the jetting what ever came in the bike from the dealer.i went to a local shop the guy said it sounded like dirt clogging a jet or somthing in the carb?dont rember exactly.he said i should clean the carb and that should fix it.is their a book to learn how to do this like a mechanic manual, i remeber reading a post about one but i dont remeber the name.well the guy said it would take him 2hrs and cost 140$.he said it was not the jetting causeing this?i dont know.i just want some advise before paying for somthing that might not help.thanks