PDA

View Full Version : Tight Brake Hose

Rancher2005
07-25-2007, 10:12 PM
I installed msr high bends on the 400ex the other day. I like the positioning a lot but noticed that the front brake hose is pretty tight when i turn the bars all the way either direction. Doing a search, I read that someone had a similar problem and gently bent the hard line below the union where it meets the brake hose next to the steering stem. I was wondering if this seems to be legit and what other people have done. I have mechanical ability but am too lazy to want to flare new ends and make the line longer. I also don't have the tool to do it.

JOEX
07-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Rancher2005
I installed msr high bends on the 400ex the other day. I like the positioning a lot but noticed that the front brake hose is pretty tight when i turn the bars all the way either direction. Doing a search, I read that someone had a similar problem and gently bent the hard line below the union where it meets the brake hose next to the steering stem. I was wondering if this seems to be legit and what other people have done. I have mechanical ability but am too lazy to want to flare new ends and make the line longer. I also don't have the tool to do it.
I haven't done this but I don't think there will be a problem as long as the line doesn't get kinked or collapses. You may want to use some sort of mandrel.

Rancher2005
07-26-2007, 10:02 PM
what do others think? What were to happen if I bought an extended stem? Do they make aftermarket hoses from the reservoir to the hard line in extended lengths?

svahle
07-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Rancher2005
what do others think? What were to happen if I bought an extended stem? Do they make aftermarket hoses from the reservoir to the hard line in extended lengths?

I am sure someone makes an extended brake line for that application.

If I were you, I would just by new steel braided brake lines and replace everything from the reservoir to the calipers. They are about $50. The steel braided lines are a great improvement over the stock rubber lines. If you watch ebay and have some patience, you can pick them up cheap. On three seperate occasions I have purchased stell braided brake lines on ebay for $.99. All in good shape.

I you do add an extended stem, it will make your issue of a tight brake line worse.

NacsMXer
07-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Try removing the upper brake hose mount that comes off the steering stem if you already haven't. Should allow you another inch or two of hose. Could do like above and get some stainless steel brake lines as well.