PDA

View Full Version : 04' or 07'?

bayou boy
07-25-2007, 06:33 PM
basicly what it says....its time to pass the ol 416 on to my wife and get an R heres the deal...I know a guy that has an 04' very nice quad well taken care of and very low hrs...maybe 30 at the most. he works offshore and is gone alot so it never gets ridden. it has pipe, nerfs etc. he wants 3500 for it. or i can buy an 07' i really dont care if the quad is used i know its history. my thing is....i can buy the 04' and take the other 3000 and use it for suspension and motor work and have a sweet quad or buy an 07' and start saving for mods. the only issue that i have with buying an 04' 05' is the crank bearing issue. i know a few people with the earlier model R and theirs seems to be fine but dumping a good bit of cash in the motor and have it go would make me sick...lol. I have read where people did the bearing/seal "upgrade" and still had problems so that has me leery. this particular quad has had no issues but increasing the hp a good bit may make it happen. I know modding motors decreases reliabilty in some ways so that is not the issue. i just dont want a time bomb. any input on this dilemma?

BlaineKaiser450
07-25-2007, 06:49 PM
check the serial #'s. The crank bearings only go sometimes on late model 04's. So if its clear get the 04

CHEVYZ
07-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Going with the R, eh? lol

Well, you get to hear our side of it quite a bit I would guess, but I am gonna give my opinion on the matter anyway....

I am sure that you already know the story between the newer and older 450rs...you have seen enough of them run. It takes alot of work to make the older models up to par in power and speed-it isn't like it won't happen, because they are definately capable, I am just saying that you are going to have to go change out alot more for the same power and reliability. But if you want to do it...and I know that you want to and can....start at the crank and then work up. Put in one of the Hotrods +3 cranks or something of that nature, and then build from there.

The problem with those bikes is that they really are a time bomb with that engine in it, because you really don't know if or when it is going to give out on you. So that is pretty much why I would start at the crank...eliminate all doubt and the real weak point of those engines.

So, for the price it makes it a tough decision. Personally, I think that the newer bikes are a better platform to start off with-the engines seem to be more solid (at least with ours), and make more power...plus they come a tad bit longer which helps in alot of the places where we ride and race. But like I said, you can make them a solid bike, and with the money saved it would be kind of hard to pass it up.

Also, just to add....I have heard where some people have had problems with the transmission on the newer bikes, but I don't see that as a common problem anything like what is going on with the 05. We race the piss out of ours, and it runs as good and smooth as ever. The older bikes have a problem catching false neutrals after a while, so if anything I would consider them to have more transmission problems.

rollie
07-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
check the serial #'s. The crank bearings only go sometimes on late model 04's. So if its clear get the 04

my friend had the first 450R that entered CT in 04, and his went the 05 season.

400exrider707
07-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Id rather have bearing problems than tranny problems like those found in the 06+ motors. I would buy the 04, install the new crank/bearings, and do the suspension. JMO.

250r4life
07-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
Going with the R, eh? lol

Well, you get to hear our side of it quite a bit I would guess, but I am gonna give my opinion on the matter anyway....

I am sure that you already know the story between the newer and older 450rs...you have seen enough of them run. It takes alot of work to make the older models up to par in power and speed-it isn't like it won't happen, because they are definately capable, I am just saying that you are going to have to go change out alot more for the same power and reliability. But if you want to do it...and I know that you want to and can....start at the crank and then work up. Put in one of the Hotrods +3 cranks or something of that nature, and then build from there.

The problem with those bikes is that they really are a time bomb with that engine in it, because you really don't know if or when it is going to give out on you. So that is pretty much why I would start at the crank...eliminate all doubt and the real weak point of those engines.

So, for the price it makes it a tough decision. Personally, I think that the newer bikes are a better platform to start off with-the engines seem to be more solid (at least with ours), and make more power...plus they come a tad bit longer which helps in alot of the places where we ride and race. But like I said, you can make them a solid bike, and with the money saved it would be kind of hard to pass it up.

i m with you... i would go post 06 or 07... you start out with a much better bike, and i think you would regret going with the 04 in the long run...

450R_lover
07-26-2007, 11:23 AM
I have an 04' that i bought in april of 04' and have yet to have an issue with anything. I modded it only because i wanted more power. Everything has held up on mine. Honestly, i think when modding these engines, the 04-05 motors take mods better from what i have heard. I'd get the 04'. JMO

sunco
07-29-2007, 09:04 AM
I have an 04 & 38 months later it blew up - bearings - I have extended warranty & it turns out to be a joke along with the dealer. My bike has been there 2 months. I bought an 07 so I could keep riding - they are redoing my 04 & I'll give it to my son. I don't want to be w/o a ride during the riding season. Get what works for you but I like new w/ less time in the shop - Riding is what I wanta be doing.

hendershot106
07-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by sunco
I have an 04 & 38 months later it blew up - bearings - I have extended warranty & it turns out to be a joke along with the dealer. My bike has been there 2 months. I bought an 07 so I could keep riding - they are redoing my 04 & I'll give it to my son. I don't want to be w/o a ride during the riding season. Get what works for you but I like new w/ less time in the shop - Riding is what I wanta be doing.

:huh u ran a 450r for over THREE YEARS and u are complaining???

are u kidding us????????????????? thats nothing to complain for.

250r4life
07-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by hendershot106
:huh u ran a 450r for over THREE YEARS and u are complaining???

are u kidding us????????????????? thats nothing to complain for.

i didnt see him complaining... he was saying that the 07 is 3 years newer and should require less maintenance... might cost more money, but he will be out riding more as opposed to having it in the shop

450rJam
07-30-2007, 04:07 PM
get the 07 and add the hrc kit, e start is nice when it works (they have a replacement gear supose to hold up)
I would still rather pull a side case off for a gear and be down for a few hours than have crank bearing failure that will be down for ????????? and cost $$$$$$$$$$$$
the 08 has not changed much so the 06/07 are still basically the best atv out there (holding resale value) the 04/05 well........3500 for a like new 450r is cheap (how much you going to get for it if you want to upgrade in a few years?)

Vade
07-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Get a 06-08 kicker if you find one there a lil bit cheaper i remember reading somewhere they weight about 6 pounds less and put out at least 1 hp more then the er version a buddy of mine had the starter problem on his and wasn't on the recall list

exrider44
07-30-2007, 06:13 PM
I have an 04 first one at the dealership and no issues yet. I think you have the chance of any year bike, any brand having an issue. If your racing and think the 06 for more power would be better for you then go for it. But if you are a trail rider I think the 04 is plenty. I dont know about you but I barely get in 5th wide open in the trails I ride. All depends on where you riding I guess.

450rJam
07-30-2007, 06:20 PM
power is not top speed, the 06+ have 13 tooth counter sprocket and better geared to use all the extra power.

04/05 require alot of clutch work in tight tech. trails
but its an easy fix to drop to the 13

bayou boy
07-30-2007, 06:32 PM
i have decided to shy away from the 04'. and look for a nice 06' 07'. I already know what i want to do as far as mods go and have decided that the newer models are my better option. already have the fcr etc. thanks for yall's input. some of the opinions stated here helped me decide which way to go. I dont mind digging in the motor in fact i enjoy it, but if i ride a time bomb i want it to be because of a choice i made on mods not a silly bearing issue that i have no control over....not to say the 04' is bad as some people never had problems yet but as far as me i decided not to chance it.

TRX450RACER174
07-30-2007, 06:40 PM
I have an 06er and have had zero problems with it, I race once a month and practice twice a month and have had no probs,but i also change my oil and trans fluid before every race as well as other routine maintenance, If you buy used just try to find something that has been taken care of and not to beat, you can tell if someone takes pride in what they own.

Vade
07-30-2007, 06:52 PM
06s have there disvantages also
1 weaker trannys
2 starter problems
3 handling is not as good at the 05s
4 balljoint recalls
5 thumb throttle recalls

only thing i like on the 06s are the engines

450rJam
07-30-2007, 07:06 PM
weak trany (only with highly modded motors)
starter (they make kickers too)
handleing (edge to 04/05)
recals are a sign that they are taking care of the customer

I have ALOT of friends that wish like hell honda would have put out a recall on the bearing problem.

only thing I like on the 04/05 are the spindle/hubs

just my opinion

exrider44
07-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Honda should repair all the crank bearing issues whether under warranty or not. If this is a defect they should take care of the customer. I am suprised they dont do this. :confused: