PDA

View Full Version : 4 mill stroker help

250rman
07-25-2007, 05:06 PM
i have a stock 86 cylinder and head. i am using the 86 piston and i am going to put in the hotrod stroker kit. i am also going to be using the stock 86 head gasket. any ideas on what combination of base gaskets/ spacer ill need to use?

wilkin250r
07-26-2007, 02:23 AM
A stroker isn't like a pipe or an air filter. It's not really a "bolt-on" upgrade. It changes all the port timing.

The port timing has a dramatic effect on power delivery. It determines whether the engine comes on strong in low RPM, or if it is a high-rev screaming drag racer. Putting a stroker crank in throws everything out-of-whack.

Stroker engines can be very powerful and very fast, but they need to be set up special. The head, the porting, and the pipe ALL need to be set up around the stroker crank. You can't just throw a stroker inside any old engine, it won't run properly.

You need the help of a professional engine builder. If it's too expensive to have them do the whole engine, you'll at least need to send in the top end to port it for the stroker crank.

86 Quad R
07-26-2007, 09:42 AM
wilkin is correct. it's not just a bolt on and go mod. there are many different ways to set things up. you'll need to decide who you want to do the port work. dicuss which porting you want to go with ans which piston is best suited for that port and whether or not your requirements need a spacer plate or not.

ideally the person doing the porting needs the crank, piston, cylinder, head and spacer plate (if required).