PDA

View Full Version : Regular or Long Travel setup ?

quad janern
07-25-2007, 12:04 PM
hi
im saving up for better mx suspension for my 05 450r.
i am going for +2 A-arms

the thing is that i have never tried any long travel quads or standard travel quads.
i do not know how much the difference is between them.

if im going long travel im going with:
elka long travel shocks
+2 A-arms long travel
stock rear shock re-valved with mx link.

if im going standard travel im going with:
stock 450r shocks re-sprung and re-valved shocks
+2 a-arms standard
stock rear shock re-valved with mx link.

im not at all a pro rider :P but im starting racing and i want some good stuff for mx.

can anyone tell me what i should save up to and buy?
can anyone tell me the performance between mx standard and mx long travel front-ends? if anyone have had them both ?

i see theres pretty bad-a** quads out there with standard front-ends, like this:
http://i15.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/ab/df/4a5e_1.JPG

thank you:)

400exrider707
07-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Go with the rebuilds I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

The only real difference between a LT setup and ST is that LT would be easier to fine tune, which most people who own them cant do correctly either way.

ryanowarrior
07-25-2007, 03:14 PM
if you go with the long travel, dont go with elkas, go with fox,pep or axis!!! you getting started and all i'd go the the stock rebuilds!!!

mojohoits
07-25-2007, 03:37 PM
the whole reason for long travel is so your tires stay on the ground more and you can get a longer shock to take out more of the small bumps and take a bigger hit better. when i raced i just raced +2 with tcs and elka standart travel tripple rate. i did just fine with them. but i have talked to alot of people with lt. and it is smoother and faster. if you dont want to spend the money go with +2.

stallionrr
07-30-2007, 08:09 AM
i have some long travel quad rate elka's for sale cheap.. need the money bad for school.. pm me if interested

400exrider707
07-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by mojohoits
the whole reason for long travel is so your tires stay on the ground more and you can get a longer shock to take out more of the small bumps and take a bigger hit better. when i raced i just raced +2 with tcs and elka standart travel tripple rate. i did just fine with them. but i have talked to alot of people with lt. and it is smoother and faster. if you dont want to spend the money go with +2.

Can you explain how it keeps the tires on the ground more? There are some ST setups that pull the same travel numbers as LT setups. I dont see how they will take a bigger hit better either... a properly built ST setup will work great. I've seen where some guys have pulled off LT setups to go back to ST rebuilds. LT is definitely a sweet setup and can be fine tuned more, but I wouldn't say its better performing. Depends on setup I guess.