PDA

View Full Version : Who do i have do my stock shocks?

flowmasterz
07-25-2007, 06:20 AM
Hey guys I was looking around on here and have seen that a lot of people are gettin there stock 450r shocks redone to perform better. What is the best place to have this done at? I have looked at GT Thunder and it seems like they do pretty good work and most people on here seem pretty happy with them. What are my other choices? How do they compare to after market shock (fox, elka, axis)? Is it worth the money or is it better to just pay more and buy aftermarket ones? Im a big guy about 6'8" and just shy of 300 and me and my buddies ride very hard andv I would like to upgrade my suspension. Thanks for the help in advance.

Rulz
07-25-2007, 06:50 AM
JH Racing is the best! He'll also have the best prices.

http://j-hracing.com/

Flynbryan19
07-25-2007, 08:23 AM
You had the right first idea. Send them to GT Thunder. I'm very happy with the work they've done for me. ;)

Colby@C&DRacing
07-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Just because someone is cheaper doesn't mean you are getting a better deal. You should do some calling and see what you really get for you money. New springs? spring retainers? crossovers? valve bodies? travel extenders?. Al lot of the conversion may look similar but can perform very different.

400exrider707
07-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
Just because someone is cheaper doesn't mean you are getting a better deal. You should do some calling and see what you really get for you money. New springs? spring retainers? crossovers? valve bodies? travel extenders?. Al lot of the conversion may look similar but can perform very different.

Agreed.

I will only speak of the companies I have personally used. I have C&D rebuild fronts and GT Thunder rear with his mx linkage. I loved my setup, both front and back performed very well. I recently sent all three of those shocks back to C&D for some refreshening and got new pistons installed in the fronts and a different spring for the rear, I will give a ride report hopefully tomorrow, but expect it to be even better!

450R_lover
07-25-2007, 10:39 AM
I've got Derisi Racing's revalve and respring w/ mx link and I think they work great. I figured that no matter what i was going to get bucked by the rear shock, but i have come up short on alot of doubles and it soaks it up every time. Anything from anyone should be better than stock... I think its all preference of where you want to spend your money.

Rulz
07-25-2007, 11:05 AM
I think Johnny's (JH Racing) shock work speaks for itself! Seeing how he does probably 1/2 of the entire TQRA riders shocks and, ssssshhhhhhhhhh, no one is suppose to know this but also "team green's" shocks too! And in case you haven't noticed, the WPSA is being dominated this year by TQRA riders!

TRX450RACER174
07-25-2007, 11:57 AM
I just got mine back from Derisi and will be taking them to test this weekend.:D

Flyin-Low
07-25-2007, 05:05 PM
I just bought a set of JH revalves off of 86ryders 450r and will be testing them as soon as I recover from my crash and have my quad together! :D I hope they're everything rulz says about them!

Sjorge450R
07-25-2007, 05:13 PM
derisi did mine. I did one race on them. Needless to say. He will always have my word for his work. Here they are. mine are set up for XC. He does a dual rate fron with single rate rear for Xc. For MX he does a triple and dual. I rode one race so far, and I never felt faster.

pro-rider46
07-25-2007, 08:30 PM
how would i know what to pick from. i think i will be doing xc racing. and i dont know whether single rate, dual rate? wich is better.

ss440ex
07-25-2007, 08:58 PM
No one but Johnny at jh racing!!!

Sjorge450R
07-26-2007, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
how would i know what to pick from. i think i will be doing xc racing. and i dont know whether single rate, dual rate? wich is better.
no no no. Derisi does Dual Rate fronts and single rears for XC. for MX he does Triple rate fronts and a dual rate rear. Just tell him your specs, and he'll work his magic.

pro-rider46
07-26-2007, 04:48 AM
well whats the difference? i know alot bout atvs except suspension, and want to know more cause i might be racing next spring

400exrider707
07-26-2007, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
well whats the difference? i know alot bout atvs except suspension, and want to know more cause i might be racing next spring

Go to steering and suspension and read the sticky at the top of the page... read it all the way through, then if you have any questions left after that, post them in there.:cool:

09-26-2007, 08:12 AM
400exrider707, i'm anxiously waiting for your ride report!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:ermm:

09-28-2007, 07:58 AM
where in the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks is your ride report!?

i'm getting very impatient here.
:(

400exrider707
09-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Sorry! I forgot all about this! I've got about 3 races and probably 3 hours on top of that of ride time now... New stuff performs excellent! I got new hi-flo hard coated pistons in the front shocks, and a new rear spring on my rear shock. All three were freshened up, not sure what that includes exactly but I would guess seals and fluids.

I love this setup even better than before. It rode great before and has since improved, not a ton, but did improve none the less. I am definitely satisfied. Seems to have some more resistance as it skims over rough stuff easier, yet still feels plush on landings. I love it. It handes great as well, though it always did that, I am having more of an issue with my rear tires right now, I seem to find traction even when I dont want it..... thats not a bad thing I suppose though. Anyways, I overall am very pleased with the ride now.

09-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Thank you for the report!! Were they set up for xc or mx? if xc, how would you rate the plushness?

400exrider707
09-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by force
Thank you for the report!! Were they set up for xc or mx? if xc, how would you rate the plushness?

They're set up for MX and I still love the plushness... the first time I rode on these I will never forget how amazed I was at the plushness. Before this I had a 400ex with elka recs on the front and an elka rebuild rear. I thought it was great at the time, but as well all know the best you've ridden is the best you know. Once I put my rebuilds on my 450 and hit a jump that I regularly came up short on, it was like I landed on air... I couldn't believe how plush it was, I didn't get anywhere near as tired as I did on my elka setup 400ex. I did like the handling of my 400 better, but I think that was more of a frame design kind of thing. Once I got extended arms on my 450 however, the handling destroys the 400ex.