PDA

View Full Version : What jets to use with this setup?

Scott400EX
10-24-2002, 02:44 PM
With the mods i have listed below what pilot, needle setting, and main jets should i use, and how many turns out on the pilot screw??

Texan32
10-24-2002, 02:58 PM
i would start with a 170 main, needle in the stock position (3rd notch down) a 40 or 42 pilot @ 2-1/2 turns out. This is just a starting point. Good luck...at can get frustrating.

luvmyex
10-24-2002, 07:21 PM
hey Scott<i see you live in Danville.Im down in greensboro.Do you have some good trails up that way?I do most of my riding just below martinsville.There tons of trails there,but always looking for a new place.Wouldnt mind riding up that way sometime.

eldoexrider01
10-24-2002, 07:32 PM
id do like he said with the 170 but wit the airbox lid off.

2qk4u
10-24-2002, 07:56 PM
are you using a jet kit or just going to the bike shop and buying your jets? i would not start with a 170. if you are using the jets from the shop i WOULD NOT use a 170. I guarentee it will be too rich. i would start at no bigger than a 160 main. ride it for a few with a new plug and check it out. i started big like that and it took me longer to jet my bike than it should have. with the mods i got iam running a 152 main and it has a great color to the plug. the jet kits you buy are different sizes than the jets you get at your local shop for your carbs. so dont try to compare to everyones jet kit sizes unless you are going that route. too me i think jet kits are a waste of money because you dont end up using the extra stuff after you get the bike tuned in anyway. just go to your local shop and get a 160 at the most and start there. most shops will just swap with you if you need to go down in size or up.
As for the pilot i would just go to a 42. thats all you need. its not all that necessary to even change your needle setting. its all up too you. mine runs great the way it is and i didnt have to spend all that money on a jet kit to sit around and collect dust in my garage.

good luck

Scott400EX
10-24-2002, 07:57 PM
I was thinking 165 or 170 main but what about a pilot jet. will the stock 38 work? or will that be too lean?

About trails here imnot sure. I ride mostly in the Raleigh area. There is a pretty cool place called Buckleberrys about 1 hr south eash of raleigh. Pretty big and wide open with some jumps ans a 9 lane wide drag strip!!!! pretty awesome!! anybody interested ill be there with some peeps on sunday!

2qk4u
10-24-2002, 08:14 PM
i think the 38 will be fine. if it back fires on decellaration then you need to bump up the pilot some. i only did it so it would start a little easier when its cold out.