PDA

View Full Version : what kind of front rotors are best? stainless or carbon steel

cbr929rr
07-25-2007, 04:59 AM
My front rotors are warped, and I have added stainless brake lines and new pads and completely disassembled the caliper and brake feel is not even close to dirt bikes(i want it all) Rocky mountain has tusk(their generic name) typhoon stainless brake rotors but as I look at galfer wave rotors and ebc rotors they both use high carbon steel. I don't care about a little rust on the rotor as it burns off instantly, but I do want better braking performance and maybe stainless isn't the right material, although the typhoon rotors do look pretty trick. I do not want the rotors to overheat and warp again. So does stainless have a higher heat tolerance or does high carbon steel.
Thanks for any help

CarGuy7a
07-25-2007, 06:00 PM
just from my welding experience stainless steel is actually a harder material than just regular carbon steel. and actually seems (to me at least) to cool down quicker than regular steel. i would think that the stainless would hold up longer than steel as far as wear on the rotor just because the sheer fact that it is harder.

as far as heat disipation i would think the design of the rotor would also come into play. as long as it's cross drilled it will disipate heat better than one that is not. a cross drilled rotor will have a higher anti-fade factor no matter what material.

Old Dirtbiker
07-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Go with the Stainless.
Its harder, won't rust, disipates heat quicker,
(thats why they use s.s. for radiators in vettes)
You won't be sorry that you chose s.s.