PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons of xc racing

pro-rider46
07-24-2007, 08:23 PM
well i am thinking of getting in to xc racing, and my dad doesnt like that idea of mine. can somebody give me some pro and cons of xc racing. i will bring up ideas to my dad and perhaps be allowed to race.

Pappy
07-24-2007, 08:29 PM
1) Cheaper if you dont build a full on XC race quad

2) Safer after the first turn

3) Up to 2 hours of racing versus 2 moto's and standing around all day

4) More family type enviroment

5) Many race oppertunities close to home and held at more venues then local mx

6) Your quad isnt regulated to just one form of racing

7) Chicks dig guys with mud in their teeth

8) You get to really piss off the local car wash

9) Not as much trackside hype about what is better or who is better

10) One of the fastest growing segments of our sport!

Ghost-Rider
07-24-2007, 08:31 PM
As a trail rider i think XC is better, as pappy said it has less hype and the quads are more realistic to what you and others might have i just enjoy watching / reading about XC way more than MX.

67mopar
07-24-2007, 08:34 PM
^ what they said

pro-rider46
07-24-2007, 09:18 PM
yeah i really enjoy reading and watching xc racing, and it really isnt that much different than the type of riding i do now. i go as fast as i can on the trails i love to climb and hit jumps and is preety much the same. except i compete with more people and get to hop up my quad a lot:D

pro-rider46
07-24-2007, 09:21 PM
is there a site i can refer to for rules and regulations.
and can you guys try to help me out with the mods i will need and i want to stay on pump gas(cause i did buy race gas the other day and costs 33 bucks for 5 gal. and it cost 15 for 93)

Ghost-Rider
07-24-2007, 09:24 PM
The pumps by me put out 93 high octane

don't run race gas unless you need it(100 + octane) it will actually hurt you.

CRich[814]
07-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
and can you guys try to help me out with the mods i will need and i want to stay on pump gas(cause i did buy race gas the other day and costs 33 bucks for 5 gal. and it cost 15 for 93)

check out your local series. but gncc.com has the major regulations.

pro-rider46
07-24-2007, 10:05 PM
crich your not that far from me what are the regulations around there?

m.h.s.c.#527
07-25-2007, 01:48 AM

skid plates, hanguards, razr iis, and u have plenty go fast mods, nerfs

firefighterjosh
07-25-2007, 02:42 AM
Are you located in Indiana or PA? Or is there a city named indiana in PA?:confused: :confused:

If you live in indiana I can help you find some places to race here. I race all quite a bit here in Indiana. PA also has some great racing.

Pros:
#1 WILL NEVER GET RAINED OUT!!!!
#2: You can take a stock quad and be competitive
#3: Make alot of friends
#4: Its just a big fast pace trail ride with a bunch of friends
#5: Less dangerous to a extent IMO
#6: Easier to pratice
#7: More riding time for your money
Cons:
#1: Not spectatur friendly most the time.
#2: Depending on conditions it can really beat your quad up

As for mods
#1: Skids plates. At minimum a belly and swing arm skid.
#2: I like nerf bars to keep the crap from ripping my leggs off.
#3: Once you race a few races you will know what you want/need.

jcv400ex
07-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Racing is expensive. A quad that goes through a full season of XC racing will be pretty beat up. You really beat the heck out of the machine racing. Bring extra tie rods, steering stem, spare front/spare back tire on a rim, tether switch, and googles. It's a blast, don't get me wrong and way worth the money, but it is hard on the machine.

My break in ride on my old Cannondale was the Millville race in Ohio! :D

pro-rider46
07-25-2007, 10:03 AM
thanks guys, what kind of goggles to you recomend tearoffs, rolloffs?

Scro
07-25-2007, 10:35 AM

I prefer the rolloffs, just because it seems easier to pull a string than fumble for the end of the tearoff. For me, I could never feel the end of the tearoffs through my gloves. That's why I switched. But most people that use tearoffs, like them because it cleans the entire goggles instead of the strip that the rolloffs clean.

It's all personal preference.

pro-rider46
07-25-2007, 10:51 AM
i live in a small area called indiana and its in pennsylvania.

theres also washington county and another couple state named countys

bradley300
07-25-2007, 05:14 PM
overall, i think running a full season of GNCC is cheaper than a full season of GNC MX. not to mention, you get 2 hours of racing, its on 1 day so you wont burn thru as many vacation and sick days, its safer in the woods than an mx track, and all you really need is a good suspension set up and good skid plates to be competitve, some people build the motors, but really thats pretty useless.

firefighterjosh
07-25-2007, 05:54 PM

BOTH!:D

I have a pair of spy goggles that have the roll off system and I put 2 tear offs over that. I use the tear offs for the starts mainly.

Sjorge450R
07-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
BOTH!:D

I have a pair of spy goggles that have the roll off system and I put 2 tear offs over that. I use the tear offs for the starts mainly.

same here. I love having both. I try to use the 2 tear offs for the first lap or two so that way, when i pull them. its like getting new goggles. I just got my spy goggles today and I can wait to use them. definetly better than ANY pair of Scott or Smith goggles that i have used.

As for doing XC. I can only think of one con. If you get hurt, you can be very far away from help. I know some tracks I race at, if you hurt yourself half way through a lap, it could take rescue crews about 30 min to get to you. But hey, i dont like to think about getting hurt.

pro-rider46
07-25-2007, 07:24 PM
yeah i think i will be racing next spring, and will be buying new google, new skid and maybe a piston jsut for a my enjoyment. oh and a tether switch

07-25-2007, 08:23 PM
I'd have to disagree with Pappy's #5. There's more MX around me then XC. The average MX track is 45 mins- 2 hrs away. While the nearest XC race is probably Unadilla, which is 4 plus hours.
But that all matters where you live. It could be different for you.

krt400ex
07-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
1) Cheaper if you dont build a full on XC race quad

2) Safer after the first turn

3) Up to 2 hours of racing versus 2 moto's and standing around all day

4) More family type enviroment

5) Many race oppertunities close to home and held at more venues then local mx

6) Your quad isnt regulated to just one form of racing

7) Chicks dig guys with mud in their teeth

8) You get to really piss off the local car wash

9) Not as much trackside hype about what is better or who is better

10) One of the fastest growing segments of our sport!

i disagree, i dont think it is safer after the first turn. i havent reaced yet, but i have had too many close calls in the woods and it can only get worse when you throw other racers into the mix

firefighterjosh
07-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
i disagree, i dont think it is safer after the first turn. i havent reaced yet, but i have had too many close calls in the woods and it can only get worse when you throw other racers into the mix

So trail riding is moer dangerous then mX?:confused:

krt400ex
07-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
So trail riding is moer dangerous then mX?:confused:

if you are riding at racing speeds i see it easier to hurt yourself clipping a tree, but then again i am a pretty controlled jumper and i feel secure in the air so it would seem safer on an mx track to me

pro-rider46
07-25-2007, 09:14 PM
i know what you mean when you say that its safer after the first turn
when you say that, the racers get spread out enough it is not as crowded.

firefighterjosh
07-25-2007, 09:33 PM
if you are riding at racing speeds i see it easier to hurt yourself clipping a tree, but then again i am a pretty controlled jumper and i feel secure in the air so it would seem safer on an mx track to me

racing speeds in XC is alot diffrent then MX racing speeds.

MX if your slow you get landed on, or cause others to wreck

XC if your slow you move over and let them by

Pappy
07-25-2007, 09:43 PM

maybe actually try it before commenting:p ive been to every round (less 1) of the gncc's, 4 gnc's and tons of local HS and MX races just this year and ive seen far more carried out on mx then xc....WAY MORE. if you make it through the first turn unscathed in a XC race, from then on its no more dangerous then trail riding. and if you trail ride like most of the folks we ride with, you are at race pace.

bradley300
07-26-2007, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
[B] if you make it through the first turn unscathed in a XC race, from then on its no more dangerous then trail riding. and if you trail ride like most of the folks we ride with, you are at race pace.

got to agree with that

mod440ex
07-26-2007, 06:31 AM
got to your local airport and see if they have 100 low lead, its alot cheaper because there is no road taxes on it and it really performs well.

flauge
07-26-2007, 08:06 AM
i disagree, i dont think it is safer after the first turn. i havent reaced yet, but i have had too many close calls in the woods and it can only get worse when you throw other racers into the mix I agree with Pappy about the first turn... Right after the start of my last race two riders wrecked right infront of me and I had to zig and zag in between them to keep from running them over and wrecking myself!:eek2: This could've turned out looking kinda nasty if I wasn't on my toes. :scary: ..You really have to be alert at the start, unless youre in front.:p

red2004 TRX450R
07-26-2007, 01:41 PM
hay pro-rider46 check out www.awrcs.com I am not a XC racer but i try to race one or two of them a year.

Most of them are in western pa.

condition of the rider is more important than condition of the quad!!!!
and watch out for the first couple of turns.

Sjorge450R
07-26-2007, 02:36 PM
the holeshot is definetly the most dangerous part of the race. I actually got in an accident in my past race. I took off and another race cut in front of me. Wasn't bad, but it could have been worse.

pro-rider46
07-26-2007, 06:46 PM
i think i screwed my quad alittle, maybe not. since regular turbo blue has lead in it. and my valves seats are made for unleaded, it makes a very loud knocking noise, and i think its cause of turbo blue, all the pros run race gas and i think most of it has lead in it. can this really hurt the seats. cause i might be needing a valve job

mod440ex
07-26-2007, 09:08 PM
is all the lead in fuel is doing is adding extra lubrication whish in turn makes it run a little cooler. all race gas has lead in it. that is the first i have heard of valve seats that are made for unleaded.

pro-rider46
07-26-2007, 09:18 PM
well this is what a engine builder told me

he has over 40 years experiance with engine building but i guess not a lot of experiance with a 450r

pro-rider46
07-26-2007, 09:20 PM
he said that a leaded fuel type engine (1964 Ford falcon) has very hard seats made for the lead to hit it hard. and the unleaded fuel has softer seats for not having any lead

allstock
07-26-2007, 09:33 PM
imo both xc and mx are equally as dangerous in different ways not just because i hit every tree i see but mx is alot more dangerous for a short period of time while xc is not as dangers but for the whole time... in mx the holeshot and the first couple of laps tend to be very bad but after that the pack seems to spread apart and everybody is riding on their own and then it becomes much safer... in xc your racing in the woods most of the time so theres always trees you can hit..

pro-rider46
07-26-2007, 09:55 PM
yeah had hit a tree before and now i have a new bumper!:D but that was two weeks after owning it and i bought it july 25 2006

Dave400ex
07-27-2007, 12:14 PM
One word comes to my mind when I think of GNCC, Suspension, Suspension, Suspension. Spend the money and get a good setup. There is nothing like hearing, Teennnn Seconds....

MO-EX-RIDER
07-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
One word comes to my mind when I think of GNCC, Suspension, Suspension, Suspension. Spend the money and get a good setup. There is nothing like hearing, Teennnn Seconds....

this is true....you can only use so much power in the woods..hipers would be the second mod!

but my pros-
hour and a half race
its not always the guy with the deepest pockets winning
race no matter the conditions
many local events around me

cons-
beats the hell out of your quad (and yourself!)
after every race i usually spend 1-250.00 for parts so it takes a toll on the bank account
TREES LARGER THAN 4" DO NOT MOVE

MX MaNiAc 06
07-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Pros-
-You have to go to a track to practice for MX. You can practice XC anywhere!
-Wrecks arent as serious in xc.
-Usually when u screw up.. theres nobody watching. hehe
-More race time than mx.
-More people in ur class.

Cons-
-It seems to add up quick. Bearings, tie rods, bumpers, wheels replaced more often than mx.
-I hate to see my quad dirty. haha
-Wrecking is more likely to happen with more time and so many damn trees.
-When the track gets mucky n beat ppl faster ppl could get held up by slower riders that get stuck.
-Theres no jumps. :ermm:

Sjorge450R
07-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by MO-EX-RIDER
[B
TREES LARGER THAN 4" DO NOT MOVE [/B]

thats the truth right there. I have run down some decent sized trees tho. Especially during GNCC races at Bottlenecks. I hate when i get stopped and I do what ever it takes to get around the crash.

krt400ex
08-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
thats the truth right there. I have run down some decent sized trees tho. Especially during GNCC races at Bottlenecks. I hate when i get stopped and I do what ever it takes to get around the crash.

i took one out at my grandparents house on friday last week that was damn near 4 inches. i couldnt believe it cuz i have hit trees like that b4 and nearly gone over the bars...i wheelied it this time though and i think that is what made the difference

161xchonda
08-02-2007, 07:44 PM
another series to check out if you are located in western pa is koontzadventures.com about all of his races are in west virginia or maryland. this is the series i run. if you can i would definitley try to fit in some gnccs too

wvspeedfreak
08-02-2007, 07:58 PM
he said that a leaded fuel type engine (1964 Ford falcon) has very hard seats made for the lead to hit it hard. and the unleaded fuel has softer seats for not having any lead

Actually the exact opposite is true.The older(leaded) engines had softer valve seats because the lead is actually a lubricant and acted as a cushion between the valves and the seats.
Unleaded engines have harder valve seats due to no cushioning effect with the unleaded fuel.You may have just misunderstood your mechanic.

pro-rider46
08-02-2007, 08:05 PM
thanks i am a little slow so i probably did misunderstand him. as for mods, here is a list i came up with, a arm skids, belly skids, swinger skids, a tether switch, c&d rebuilds, some new boots and goggles. sound good to you guys. thanks for the responses

flauge
08-03-2007, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
One word comes to my mind when I think of GNCC, Suspension, Suspension, Suspension. Spend the money and get a good setup. There is nothing like hearing, Teennnn Seconds.... Man i think thats my favorite part of the race, sitting there waiting for that green to drop. Ahh! gotta love that adrenaline rush!:D

pro-rider46
08-04-2007, 05:44 AM
thanks i am a little slow so i probably did misunderstand him. as for mods, here is a list i came up with, a arm skids, belly skids, swinger skids, a tether switch, c&d rebuilds, some new boots and goggles. sound good to you guys. thanks for the responses
any takers?

ZSNOW
08-04-2007, 06:56 AM
when i got into racing my dad barely even would drive me there, now hes takin my lap times and making me better em , HE UP BEFORE ME ON RACE DAYS!lol

Sjorge450R
08-04-2007, 08:09 AM
you can even end up with a quad like me in xc racing. I don't mind having to pay for things. Im kinda beat up from the crash but the quad isnt doing too well either. worst part was, i had to ride the rest of the track like 3 miles back to my truck since there was no access roads.

pro-rider46
08-04-2007, 11:16 PM
looks like a bent steering stem, that sucks

Ghost-Rider
08-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Pros- fast, fun...common

Cons-Crashing, fees,over hype.

Personally i trail ride and so i love the XC stuff,i don't mind MX but i can relate to XC much better.

procircuit406ex
08-04-2007, 11:23 PM
I wouldnt waste my money on the aarms skids...

Tyler

pro-rider46
08-04-2007, 11:25 PM
why, it just extra protechtion

procircuit406ex
08-04-2007, 11:28 PM
And extra money you could spend on something else.

Tyler

Ghost-Rider
08-04-2007, 11:29 PM
You think its a waste till you catch a big rock / stick in there.

procircuit406ex
08-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Ive been there many times, and I still think they are a waste.

Tyler

Ghost-Rider
08-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Wait, if were talking MX i don't see the points of skids at all, well maybe a swinger skid.

procircuit406ex
08-04-2007, 11:37 PM
We are talking about XC. Ive rode rocks, big and small. I've had them stuck in my aarms, tierods, swinger, everything. Same thing goes for sticks. Personally I wouldn't waste my money on aarms skids, but its your money.

Tyler

Ghost-Rider
08-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Woa sorry guys i was messed up, thought this was a different thread about MX racing.

so on the topic of XC

Pros-Fun,More skill based,more laid back/less pressure i would think less hype.

Cons-Beats on your machine.

firefighterjosh
08-05-2007, 10:57 PM
What it comes down to. You shouldnt need a arms skids. You never want to hit a log or rock with you a arm. You always hit them with the center of your quad or the tire of your quad.