PDA

View Full Version : Want to be on TV?

Ben
10-24-2002, 01:36 PM
I have been in contact with the producer of an international reality TV show who is interested in obtaining good quality videos of spectacular ATV and dirtbike crashes. They can't contain fatalities but other than that anything goes :) If anyone has such footage, and it is TV quality stuff (i.e. not all fuzzy) drop me a line. EXriders will go global! :D

QuadTrix6
10-24-2002, 01:38 PM
thats awsome let us know when it airs :D

10-24-2002, 01:38 PM
Well were definitly taken a cam corder to hatfield the next trip,,they could run a complete show with what all goes on down there.:eek:

Ben
10-24-2002, 01:41 PM
It can actually be footage of anything that is really crazy so if you guys have some insane home footage let me know. And Rico, I don't think they can publish the stuff I have heard about going on at HM! :eek: :D

86atc250r
10-24-2002, 01:46 PM
Please do not provide these people with crash footage....

This gets used against us on programs showcasing how "dangerous" our sport is, which is then used to sway public opinion and ultimately pass regulations either legally or thru agencies like the CPSC. Anyone that went thru the late 80's knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Our sport gets plenty of bad publicity as it is. No publicity is better than bad.

Tell these people you'll provide footage of riders racing, duning, jumping, etc (with all safety gear only), but no footage of people crashing or getting injured....

I would not trust this person's intentions. If he truly wants to shocase ATV riding/racing, there are much better ways to do it than showing crash footage to the general public and "proving" how "dangerous and irresponsible" we are.

I know this may sound like conspiracy theory stuff to many of you (especially the younger members), but it HAS happened in the past and it took over 10 years for the sport to heel, and we still feel the effects today.

GT300
10-24-2002, 02:02 PM
What is the name of the show?

DGR Designs
10-24-2002, 02:03 PM
EXACTLY exriders may go global but in turn, we get dumb rules that benifit the irresponsible riders but we (the responsible guys) get the short end of the stick and then they would banish MX and quad racing altogeather and we would be stuck riding around in power wheels toys wearing full gear or on lawnmowers like the guy in the raptor commercial. Now Real TV however, they have crash vids in there all the time if you send anything to this guy make it interesting like some of those crazy death bringing banshee's that drag in the dunes.

TC17
10-24-2002, 02:06 PM
well...i've wrecked everytime that i have gone to a track and it was good footage but my dad missed it. so i can almost promise that i'll have a really good wreck in the spring. i'll probably break something. :devil

redrider808
10-24-2002, 02:06 PM
do not do this it sounds like a way to make atv look bad .
all you younger kids did not go thought what we older riders did .
agan do not send them a thing

this is just a way for us to get burned.

TC17
10-24-2002, 02:11 PM
yeah i know what your saying. do you think they're trying to do it on purpose to put down quads, cause if that what they're doing then that should be stopped!:grr.

phatswinn
10-24-2002, 02:25 PM
yea what they said about the bad stuff! sorry ben just doesent seem like a good ider to give people reasons to hate quads

10-24-2002, 02:40 PM
bad idea guys, how do u know barbra walter wont get her hands on it and use it against us, keep the crashes to are buddies, if they want some quad footage send em some of people riding not crashing

DGR Designs
10-24-2002, 02:48 PM
if you send them something, send the one of that craptor rolling down the hill lmao. Helment: $140.00, Riding Gloves: $40.00 Goggles: $40.00, Watching a Raptor tumble down a hill?.... Priceless....

Ben
10-24-2002, 03:02 PM
lol, this turned into a blood bath! :D I don't have much time to talk but I had no idea you guys felt so strongly about this! I'll tell them no thanks - I wasn't get any of the glory anyways, it was just something I was going to pass on to you guys. The show was "You've Gotta to See This" which is just like Real TV. You've convinced me! :D

330exracer122
10-24-2002, 03:04 PM
ill see if i can get my friend who hit the red bull finish line arch vid but would that be bad for our sport?

Juggalo
10-24-2002, 03:21 PM
me and my friends have a ton of video of us riding..its mostly dirtbikes but theres a lot of me on my quad too..theres a couple crashes but their bike crashes. i have the video of me hydroplaning that pond too...we have lots of video..we were actually in touch with the show "you gotta see this" to get some of our footage aired a while back. let me know if your interested.

Juggalo
10-27-2002, 10:17 AM
bump

hey ben..anymore on this? or have you decided to scrap the idea?

CHAUNCY
10-27-2002, 10:47 AM
I think its a bad idea cuzz it can be used against our favorite sport. You Gotta See This is an awsome show and has crashes that are unbeleivable.

infantry317
10-27-2002, 11:02 AM
BAD IDEA! Please don't send in videos.

Rip_Tear
10-27-2002, 12:49 PM
I think they decided not too, I can see why too. I mean I can see that it would be pretty cool, but it is also bad for the sport.... I just have to say Beerocks crash too though, it was pretty good, no one got hurt really...

Nausty
10-27-2002, 12:58 PM
do they pay you money? I got a nasty crash vid of me crashing my dirt bike into our garage 4th gear pinned when my throttle stuck on my yz80. Would of died if there wasn't a window there. Sept my mom dropped the camera right before I hit the house:grr then you hear her say JESUS CHRIST as if she had seen me die hehe it sends a shiver down my back.

mrusk
10-27-2002, 02:08 PM
BEN YOU MUST SCRAP THIS IDEA!!! I dont care what they say the footage will be used for. Sometime later this footage could be used as negative press. All we need is for barbara walters to see this reality show and we are done!

matt

TheX1992
10-27-2002, 04:15 PM
i like watching racing. a few wrecks like bumpin into each other and spinouts on a dirt track with stock cars is something to giggle at or whatever. i dont take pleasure in seeing people get hurt.

beerock
10-27-2002, 04:56 PM
you guys are buggin. a show like that entertains people with crazy action, its not bad press......

none of you have ever seen those spectacular crash videos?

everyone knows people crash bikes, atv's, boats, snowmobiles, planes and cars.....

doesnt sound like a trouble some deal, but you should find out what it is being used for and let us know.....

I have a good quality video of my crash which is on 8mm video tape.

trx400ex
10-27-2002, 05:07 PM
yeah, but is it really worht it to take the chance of it maybe used in a negative manner down the road? personnaly i could care less if i saw myself crashign on TV...id rather watch a race on ESPN2..anyone see the one today where larocco took home 100K that is nuts!!!

Juggalo
10-27-2002, 06:28 PM
ben i am wonderin where you stand on this..please respond to this...i don't really have any crash footage anyways. just ridin the track, doin freestyle, hydroplanin, ridin wheelies ect.

Rip_Tear
10-27-2002, 06:32 PM
How deep is that pond? My mechanic friend did 16' long and it was 32' deep... in the winter... It was pretty sweet!

cheetah
10-27-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by beerock
you guys are buggin. a show like that entertains people with crazy action, its not bad press......

none of you have ever seen those spectacular crash videos?

everyone knows people crash bikes, atv's, boats, snowmobiles, planes and cars.....

doesnt sound like a trouble some deal, but you should find out what it is being used for and let us know.....

I have a good quality video of my crash which is on 8mm video tape.

I totally agree with you, but the government is already trying to crack down on quads again and we will just give them more stuff to close it down with. Then some crazy little kid will wreck his quad and his stupid parents will sue the company for making the bike and claim that he got the idea to do stupid stuff on a tv show called you gotta see this then barbara walters will get a hold of it and BAM!, we're back to riding bicycles.:grr :huh

ChadEXer
10-28-2002, 01:08 PM
I think "You Gotta See This" is a cool show and i watch it often, but I dont know what to say on this, I agree with most thats its bad for our sport, but I also agree with Beerock that those shows show EVERYTHING being crashed and wrecked and I dont think its bad press?????:confused:

86atc250r
10-28-2002, 01:47 PM
It's easy to over simplify things and say "yeah, but everyone knows these things get crashed" or "all the footage on the show is of stuff getting crashed"

- but the fact of the matter is, it's bad publicity for us, this footage has already been used against us, and if you don't think that those that would like to see ATVs go away won't use it against us in a public relations campaign - you are VERY niave.

Do you think that if a news/expose show contacted "you gotta see this" and offered them a little cash they wouldn't release the video to them.

You think if Joe Sixpack saw Barbra Walters spouting how "dangerous" ATVs are, he wouldn't remember seeing crash footage all over his favorite "reality" shows and it wouldn't re-inforce what they were saying in his mind?

You think we're "buggin", check history - they say it repeats itself. Ever wonder why you can't buy a shiny new 250R off your dealer's showroom floor, Beerock?

BTW, what's up with all the 80's slang Bee? Word out homie...

upstate rider
10-28-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Ben
EXriders will go global! :D :D

Ben
10-28-2002, 03:32 PM
The producer of You Gotta See This called me again today and I told him that the majority of you guys were against it so no deal. :)

Pappy
10-28-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Ben
The producer of You Gotta See This called me again today and I told him that the majority of you guys were against it so no deal. :)

good call ben;)

i would be in favor of them airing tape of some of the stuff these kids can do on quads tho......

atvdad36
10-28-2002, 03:57 PM
If you want to see what we are talking about, go to www.bluewaternetwork.org. click on off road vehicles,see what they are trying to do and what they have already done.There are also allot of other places like that,trying to do the same thing.

PhResTyL28
10-28-2002, 04:12 PM
stupid tree huggers.

atvdad36
10-28-2002, 04:22 PM
These people are more then just tree huggers,If you search thier site you will see all what they have done.And they are very proud of what they do.

Leo
10-28-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r

Our sport gets plenty of bad publicity as it is. No publicity is better than bad.....

I know this may sound like conspiracy theory stuff to many of you (especially the younger members), but it HAS happened in the past and it took over 10 years for the sport to heel, and we still feel the effects today.....

Amen....

I still remember sitting and watching the 60 minutes episode that pretty much was the start of the end for high-performance ATV's for about 10 years or so....

It showed an assortment of spills / wrecks / injury's that happened to a few unskilled, 3/4 drunk, FOOLS tearing around with no helmets..

Really all they did was head to the dunes and find the one group of 3/4 trashed know-nothings and egged them on in front of the camera untill they crashed..

The general publics perception of ATV's in general is still deeply scarred by this (IMHO)..

Leo

Leo
10-28-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by beerock

it's not bad press until some 60 minutes / dateline / etc.. type show (prime-time enquirer type TV).. get's ahold of the tape.. That's when the bad things happen.. It's all in what perspective they show the tape..

See my above post about the 60 minutes epsiode that killed trikes and all but killed the sport ATV market for 10+ years..

Leo

TheX1992
10-28-2002, 05:27 PM
i agree. just gotta quit while your ahead. we're struggling for riding areas as it is. as of right now if i were to be riding in the woods behind my house and a cop see's me thats a ticket. i have other things i would like to spend 150 on than give it to the city. i just dont like the idea of letting people see "look at me crash my atv" because we get worse reps and they start using the tapes as examples. just my .02

jaspurx
10-29-2002, 09:33 PM
thats a good idea ben