PDA

View Full Version : 250R Vs. 450R

c450Razy
07-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Okay i have a 450r with pipe and jet motor wise, how would a 250r with a 265 or 310 compare in power?

The reason i ask is i dont have much exper with 250rs and have always wanted one, and as of late ive been shoping around and would like to know what the power is like.

Acid Motorsport
07-24-2007, 07:12 PM
250R's are pretty fast with a 310 kit. I had one, but still no match for a new R in the power department anyway. Throw in a cam and port the head, your 450 will be very powerful.

250r4life
07-25-2007, 01:41 AM
i disagree... a 265R is pretty comparable to an 06 450r with the HRC kit...

with a 310 kit youre going to need to go aggresive on the cam, and probably on the piston t0o for the 450r to keep up...

450rJam
07-25-2007, 04:53 AM
would be close race, the 250r is going to spin alot while the 450r is going to put power to the ground (what year 450r)
once the 250r hooks it may be able to close on the 450r

just a pipe on the older 450r isnt going to be a rocket ship.

best rider wins this one

07-25-2007, 08:13 AM
The 450 will kill it.

flowmasterz
07-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Ive owned both, I have an 07 450r with the HRC kit and i had a 1988 250r with a ton of stuff done to it. In my opinion it would be a good race if you know how to ride the 250R. My new 450 is really fast for being pretty much stock, but there is still something about that old 250 and man that thing freakin ripped. Sometimes i wish i would have kept it and not got the 450.

MossboysRacing
07-25-2007, 04:00 PM
owning and racing my 06 450r compared to racing my younger brother on his 265r we are pretty even. it really comes down to the rider when comparing these to. in a xc race I usually dont dust him and he doesnt dust me. we have dragged and did some top speed runs and basically whoever got the better holeshot just edged out the other. i dont have any experience with a 310 kit, could be a different story.:eek2:

sandmanblue
07-25-2007, 04:41 PM
You can always spend more and make whichever one you want to ride faster.....

Ride what YOU like, not what us faceless posters on the net tell you is better......

c450Razy
07-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by sandmanblue
You can always spend more and make whichever one you want to ride faster.....

Ride what YOU like, not what us faceless posters on the net tell you is better......

lol yea, i would just like to know how the power is on one...

450rJam
07-25-2007, 06:28 PM
well...........................

the 250r is prob. the best handleing atv ever mass produced
the power in stock form is mild but with a few bolt-ons to make it breath better it has power that comes on quick, keep it in the band and it screams.

the 450r is taller and heavier but has the torque most 2 strokes cant give, the power in stock form is ok but add a cam/exhaust/lid off and it will try to crawl out from under you, the 4 stroke is easier to ride due to its more predictable power delivery

you are choosing between the best two atv's honda has ever offered, with skilled riders both can and have won races in every venue at every level and both are a ton of fun to play on.

you cant make a bad pick on this one

x rider1291
07-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
well...........................

the 250r is prob. the best handleing atv ever mass produced
the power in stock form is mild but with a few bolt-ons to make it breath better it has power that comes on quick, keep it in the band and it screams.

the 450r is taller and heavier but has the torque most 2 strokes cant give, the power in stock form is ok but add a cam/exhaust/lid off and it will try to crawl out from under you, the 4 stroke is easier to ride due to its more predictable power delivery

you are choosing between the best two atv's honda has ever offered, with skilled riders both can and have won races in every venue at every level and both are a ton of fun to play on.

you cant make a bad pick on this one

couldnt have said it any better

sandmanblue
07-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by c450Razy
lol yea, i would just like to know how the power is on one...

I know - but you don't realize how much variation there is in the way the motors CAN be built.

You can build each of these motors (250/265/310 and 450/470/490...+) to any state of tune you want. Comparing a bolt on 310 with no porting and a woods pipe to a 520 thumper meant for drag racing is apples and oranges.

For the two strokes, porting can make the power come on anywhere in the powerband. Cams can do a similar thing to the 4 strokes.

My post about how fast do you want to spend is a brief way to say that you can build these motors to do whatever you want if you spend the money.

I've ridden Banshee motors set up for MX that were amazing on the low end and had very little "hit" when they revved out. They built it to be more like a 4 stroke. I've also ridden 4 strokes that felt more like a 125cc 2 stroke and had nothing but top end.

About the only thing consistent is that the 4 strokes have a wider usable rpm range. They can make good power from 4000 - 10,000 rpm (on a 450 for example). 2 strokes have a much more narrow rpm range where they make power. A 250 - 310cc is only going to make decent power from 5500 - 9000 rpm. That means more shifting and a harder to control powerband.

Now, this has the potential to go into a 2 stroke vs 4 stroke thread, and I don't want to go there at all.

That's why I said "get what YOU want" before I posted all this stuff. If you don't know what you want, just pick one and make it what you want it to be.

250r4life
07-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by sandmanblue
I know - but you don't realize how much variation there is in the way the motors CAN be built.

You can build each of these motors (250/265/310 and 450/470/490...+) to any state of tune you want. Comparing a bolt on 310 with no porting and a woods pipe to a 520 thumper meant for drag racing is apples and oranges.

For the two strokes, porting can make the power come on anywhere in the powerband. Cams can do a similar thing to the 4 strokes.

My post about how fast do you want to spend is a brief way to say that you can build these motors to do whatever you want if you spend the money.

I've ridden Banshee motors set up for MX that were amazing on the low end and had very little "hit" when they revved out. They built it to be more like a 4 stroke. I've also ridden 4 strokes that felt more like a 125cc 2 stroke and had nothing but top end.

About the only thing consistent is that the 4 strokes have a wider usable rpm range. They can make good power from 4000 - 10,000 rpm (on a 450 for example). 2 strokes have a much more narrow rpm range where they make power. A 250 - 310cc is only going to make decent power from 5500 - 9000 rpm. That means more shifting and a harder to control powerband.

Now, this has the potential to go into a 2 stroke vs 4 stroke thread, and I don't want to go there at all.

That's why I said "get what YOU want" before I posted all this stuff. If you don't know what you want, just pick one and make it what you want it to be.

what you said is accurate... it shouldnt turn into a 2 stroke vs 4 stroke pissing match...