PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cock Question, Kasea Skyhawk 50

SLWott
07-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Hello Community,
First post with a cry for help. The Fuel Cock which is between the gas tank & carb does not want to allow fuel to flow. Looks like it has never worked. When I by-passed it with the hose from the tank directly to the carb, the atv wants to run at high speed only. The throttle has no effect. Does the fuel cock control flow with a float valve? If so, this one must be stuck. Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks.

Scott

wvspeedfreak
07-25-2007, 05:44 PM
The fuel petcock on the Kaseas are operated by engine vacuum.When the engine is cranking or running it allows fuel to flow through it.Check to see that the vacuum hose going to it is connected and doesn't have a hole in it.A vacuum leak on this hose could cause both of your problems.....no fuel flow and engine high idle like you described when you bypassed the petcock.

SLWott
07-27-2007, 09:11 AM
wvspeedfreak,
Many thanks for yor reply! When I first looked at the vacuume line I thought it was a breather. I checked to make sure the fuel petcock would work with vacuume applied and it does. Now when I hooked up the line from the petcock to the to the carb, there seems to be no vacuume and I'm back to square one. Can you think of a reason that there is no vacuume from the carb? Thanks again.
Scott

wvspeedfreak
07-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Check to make sure there is not a restriction in the carb.You may need to take the carb off and clean the vacuum port.
When you applied vacuum to the petcock hose did you start the engine?If so,did it seem to idle ok then?

SLWott
07-27-2007, 07:58 PM
wvspeedfreak,
Again, thanks for the reply. I restored the fuel lines to the original positions and hooked up the vacuum line to it's correct outlet on the carb. After a lot of messing with the pet-cock to get it to fill up with fuel, the machine finally started and wanted to run at full throttle like it did when the petcock was by-passed and the vacuum line open. The atv was purchased at an auction with no history and with the vacuum line pulled off. I think it might have always had this full throttle problem and the seller just had to disable the machine to sell it. I tested the lines and there are no leaks. I'm at a loss what to look for unless the problem is inside the carb. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Scott

wvspeedfreak
07-27-2007, 08:40 PM
At this point I would pull the carb off,completely disassemble it and clean it.Re-install the carb,make sure the throttle cable is adjusted correctly and see what it will do.If the quad has been sitting for any length of time it should be done anyway.This will also eliminate some possible causes of your problem and help narrow it down.
Also check around the rubber intake boot for any cracks or tears.This can cause a a high idle/lean condition.

SLWott
07-31-2007, 07:43 PM
wvspeedfreak,
I'm still baffled with this Kasea. I did take the carb loose from the intake boot and opened each of the three housings that could be inspected and there was nothing obvious wrong and everything looked perfectly clean. Last Friday I got it to run with the fuel cock and vacuum line hooked up correctly but only at full throttle. Today it would only start if I by-passed the fuel cock and would still only run at full throttle. I tried disconnecting the electrical valve? on the carb and that did nothing. I'll take a closer look at the intake boot tomorrow and try to see if it is leaking. There is a little screw in the area of the venturi of the carb. Would that have any affect? Thanks again for getting back to me. Regards.

Scott