PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 440 cannondale soon.

Built_300EX
07-24-2007, 12:51 AM
I have a few questions about the 440's if you all don't mind.

I will be getting the cannondale very soon and would like to know some things about them.
First off, where do I get parts for them at? I want the cheapest and best deals of all, please.
What should I get first? Air filter, pipe and header then what? Should I worry about the cooling system any? Anything to make them run better really cheap? And do they have a power commander out for them?

Last thing. The quad I am getting is setting right now because the guy said the motor won't crank over. The lights worked, there was no splices in the wiring that I seen, what could it be? Dropped valve? Was they know for that? Anyways, just try to think about it and get back to me asap. I would just like to know some problems people have had from them with the motors just not cranking over. Also some things to look out for when I get it.

Thanks, sorry for babbling, I just haven't gotten to ride in forever and it's feeling great again just to know I'm back in trails and on the track soon.

Matt.

atvrulz
07-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Cannondales are a lot of maintence but they are great quads. There are some updates that you MUST do to the engine or you will have problems, such as grenading the engine. Wiring certain bolts in engine, Z400 crank bearing update, etc.
Before purchasing, you should call Black Widow atv and talk with Brad Oakley. Tell him the symptoms of the quad, and he will be able to let you know what is wrong with the quad, and how much you spend on the quad. I do not think you can bring a cannondale quad into your local dealership and say, hey, fix the problem. They require someone with experience with cannondale quads. Also, a lot of people that advertise as being cannondale atv mechanics, are crooks and dishonest. Just check out the cannondale atv websites. If you do a search, the most highly regarded mechanic is black widow atv.

yamadjs08
07-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Built_300EX
I have a few questions about the 440's if you all don't mind.

I will be getting the cannondale very soon and would like to know some things about them.
First off, where do I get parts for them at? I want the cheapest and best deals of all, please.
What should I get first? Air filter, pipe and header then what? Should I worry about the cooling system any? Anything to make them run better really cheap? And do they have a power commander out for them?

Last thing. The quad I am getting is setting right now because the guy said the motor won't crank over. The lights worked, there was no splices in the wiring that I seen, what could it be? Dropped valve? Was they know for that? Anyways, just try to think about it and get back to me asap. I would just like to know some problems people have had from them with the motors just not cranking over. Also some things to look out for when I get it.

Thanks, sorry for babbling, I just haven't gotten to ride in forever and it's feeling great again just to know I'm back in trails and on the track soon.

Matt.

Matt, as far as what you should get first, in my mind would be the updates. Reliability comes before performance. Get a z400 main bearing in the crank and get lots of loctite in the motor.

As far as the cheapest and best deals, I would call Blackwidow ATV or Canno-Moto, both are great people to deal with and both have great deals. They are very fast with shipping and are honest people who are great to deal with, always quality parts. Oh yes and to break the rumor that there is no parts for Cannondales, there are plenty of parts to be had, I haven't had trouble getting any parts, ever.

They do not make a power commander for our fuel injection. Our fuel injection is a little different than most. But for the price of a power commander you can buy the Diagnostics and Maintenance program for C-dale FI. With this you can change maps, tune, change rev limit, throttle sensitivity and much more.

As far as the motor not turning over, it could be something as simple as hydro-lock, over time these quads have a check-valve that can stick open and oil will seep into the cylinder. Just pull the plug, crank it over, and clean up the oil. Hows the battery? Has it been charged? Best bet is to spin the motor over from the flywheel nut, if you can't spin it, then something is wrong. Pull the motor and find out or send to one of the many good Cannondale builders. They can drop valves, but the most common problem is the factory cranks seizing up. If I were you I would pull the motor regardless and get it updated.

Does the guy who owns the quad have any more information on it? Did it run when he parked it? Or was he riding it and it locked up? All of these answers will help tremendously.

Built_300EX
07-26-2007, 12:29 AM
This is what the guy told me, he has no reason to lie because I told him I didn't care if he ragged the motor I just really need to know how and why it happened. Here is what he said.

He told me that he was starting it up and just taking for a spin not getting out of maybe 2nd-3rd gear turning around because it hasn't been rode too much in awhile and he just thought he should ride it a few minutes.

After that, he turned around it quit on him, started back up, brought it to his house then after that it wouldn't start anymore. He said there may have been some small tickin but nothing major?

I was thinking either, timing chain for that. However there was something else I remembered about the quad that made me think again and think even smaller. His headlights work however one is slightly melted, maybe he blew a fuse with some faulty wiring on the headlight? I was just thinking of the possibilities.

He really doesn't know anything about the quad though, he didn't even know where the air box was.

Btw, can you give me the #'s to these places and some #'s to the best and cheapest dealers that work on the motors nearest to WV?
I know i'm asking alot but wow, you just don't know how great this feeling is getting to ride after being stripped of riding for over 1 1/2 to 2 years.

Thanks again everyone for the responses, keep them coming.

Heh, one more thing, any nice pics of ways to shave the fenders? or mods for the hood and such? I think they look like a "Frog" in the front end and would like to change it slightly just to be different from the other cannondales "if any" that are around me.

happyboy
07-26-2007, 07:58 AM
go take a look at www.cannondaleriders.com

Its the atv site for cannondales and the motorcycle site is
www.cannondaler.com

Both sites are great and you will get all the help you need there. Just feel free to ask questions.

happyboy
07-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by atvrulz
I do not think you can bring a cannondale quad into your local dealership and say, hey, fix the problem. They require someone with experience with cannondale quads. Also, a lot of people that advertise as being cannondale atv mechanics, are crooks and dishonest. Just check out the cannondale atv websites. If you do a search, the most highly regarded mechanic is black widow atv.

Long time no see rulz....how you been

Very true about local dealerships. These quads are alot different than other machines out there.

As for crooks and dishonest, we refering to Winky? There are a few shady folks out there and I think if he posts questions about people he'll get honest answers.

As for Blackwidow being the most highly regarded...um, i would think Timbo would be up there. Cord does a great job, but Tim just drives the customization this market wants and does it way too cheap.

Bottom line for any of those guys is you will get a great running quad.