PDA

View Full Version : 450r vs yfz

yamadog
07-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi guys i just bought a bone stock 05 450r, with only aftermarket parts being radiator shrouds and underbody skidplates...my friends bro has got a 05 yfz450 w full hmf exhaust jetted, new stock gears. Wen we went ridin yesterday, we raced about 10 times and every time he would have me by a quad length or so, it seems im gonna need some upgrades, any suggestions w some performance parts for not tooo expensive..attached a pic of it

400exrider707
07-23-2007, 01:43 PM
A pipe and filter alone will substantially wake up that motor. If you ride in an area where it must be quiet, take the lid off put a UNI no it, and throw in a cam. Wont cost more than $200 total for everything including any additional jets you need.

yamadog
07-23-2007, 01:50 PM
I have been looking at a new Curtis sparks pipe, but i havent heard really that much info on them, and i want to keep my airbox lid on bc we do alot ridin crossin creeks and stuff, could i jet it w a sparks pipe to be able to keep my airbox lid on or could i get them little holes in ur airbox lid

TheBlasterMan
07-23-2007, 01:55 PM
do what i did,

modify you air box lid (hrc style) or completly remove it.

HRC end cap

Hot cam stage 2

Jets 172, 180, 182, 185, 188 and a pilot jet 50. I recamend buying these, that way you can rejet throughout the year.

I bought the end cap and cam used, end cap was 20 bucks shipped and the cam was 85 shipped. The cam only had 10 hours of use on it.

You can also get the hrc style needle, i did not, so i just bumped the stock up a position.

The air fuel mixture is set to 2.75 turns out. Its trial and error.

yamadog
07-23-2007, 01:59 PM
How was the outcome, would race pipe like the sparks have more of a noticable power difff then the hrc power up kit..does neone have any dynos

TheBlasterMan
07-23-2007, 02:09 PM
outcome was prety nice, deffinitally revs out alot quicker, not to mention a better sound for less then 130 bucks. Im not sure if the full exaust system would make more power or not. I beleive it wont, the stock cam is very mild, putting a more aggresive cam in will deffinitally make more power. The pipe just lets the engine breath better. The cam lets the valves open quicker/longer/later/sooner then stock.

Acid Motorsport
07-23-2007, 02:12 PM
I've heard an aftermarket pipe compared to the HRC insert smooths out the power band and gives it a little more over rev.
But the HP numbers were not very much higher than the HRC, only about 2-3 something like that.

yamadog
07-23-2007, 02:18 PM
what would be diff if u got both a pipe and cam

Acid Motorsport
07-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Cam will make a huge difference, the HRC probably is the best compared to a Stage 1 Hot Cam. But like I said with the pipe it won't gain you as much as you'd hope, and the HRC cam works best with the HRC exhaust.

pro-rider46
07-23-2007, 02:44 PM
i have a sparks pipe and a hot cam stage 1 and it is rediculous. it has so much more power over stock. i ride a lot off mud and trails and alot of dirty things. and i have no lid and the filter stays pretty clean. you will be fine with no lid. buy a hot cam and full exhaust and jet it correctly and will notice a huge difference, it is like night and day.

GPracer2500
07-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by TheBlasterMan
...and a leak jet 50....

I think you mean pilot jet. 04/05 450r cabs don't have leak jets. ;)

400exrider707
07-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by TheBlasterMan
do what i did,

modify you air box lid (hrc style) or completly remove it.

HRC end cap

Hot cam stage 2

Jets 172, 180, 182, 185, 188 and a leak jet 50. I recamend buying these, that way you can rejet throughout the year.

I bought the end cap and cam used, end cap was 20 bucks shipped and the cam was 85 shipped. The cam only had 10 hours of use on it.

You can also get the hrc style needle, i did not, so i just bumped the stock up a position.

The air fuel mixture is set to 2.75 turns out. Its trial and error.

Leak jet? Its an 05, no need for that.

I would do the HRC style lid, stock pipe if you dont want the noise, and the cam, it will come alive!

sandmanblue
07-23-2007, 02:53 PM
How much money do you want to spend yamadog?

Having gone through plenty of upgrades, it all comes down to how fast you can afford to spend.

There's some free HP available in just rejetting and uncorking your R. Cut lid - DO NOT remove the entire lid on the 04/05. You can either buy an HRC lid or cut yours to duplicate it. Rejet and get a slip-on pipe. Just opening up the intake and exhaust might get you by for a while, after that, a cam (HotCam Stage 2), and a higher compression piston (either 12:1 for pump gas or 14:1 for race fuel) and a full pipe will be good.

A lot of ppl will have the head ported when they do the piston. There are plenty of good plaes to port, but I'll only recommend ones on a PM because it usually brings up arguments here.

Start in stages and go to where your budget allows at the time.

TheBlasterMan
07-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
I think you mean pilot jet. 04/05 450r cabs don't have leak jets. ;)

corect, i dont know why i said leak.

roundsy
07-23-2007, 09:26 PM
if you are worried about your airbox lid do something like this:

yamadog
07-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks guys, i still got to pay the rest of it off still, im waitin for my 400 to sell..lol but once that is done money wont really be an issue, but now that i got some ideas floatin around ill see wat will be the best for me. And bout the airbox lid they make these little circle filter vents about an inch wide diameter that u drill into ur airbox lid, they come in like 3 packs

yamadog
07-24-2007, 08:13 AM
would u guys really think if i just got an hrc lid, would i still be able to go through puddles, creeks and stuff

yamadog
07-24-2007, 08:33 AM
wat do u guys prefer w tires and rims, i need somethin at least 4ply wuld prefer 6ply, i hav kend klaws 6 ply on my 400 but that thing doesnt spin anywhere near as much as my 450, and i usually go w the douglas .190 is this a good setup for trails and such

Acid Motorsport
07-24-2007, 10:48 AM
You will be able to go through most puddles. For tires go with ITP rims and Holeshot XCT's, there tough to beat. I had DWT .190 red labels on my EX but while hammering through the woods one day I bent a rear rim so bad, the bead of the rim actually touched the axle. Must of been a stump:rolleyes:

flowmasterz
07-24-2007, 02:38 PM
You will definantly be able to go through puddles. I have a 07 with no lid and a outerwears air box cover and i have never had a problem with sucking in water and i ride in southern ohio and its always muddy there. I ran the outerwears cover under the hose when i got it and you would be suprised how well it stops the water. And for wheels i have the itp c series with xcr tires and i love them.

KrazyKeith
07-25-2007, 08:32 PM
for an 04/05 model to be faster than the a piped and properly jetted YFZ your gonna need a full exhaust (like rossier or sparks dasa) stg. 2 hotcam , hrc needle, and a good air filter. There are many options but w/ what I mentioned here will get you there for sure if you are as good of a rider as him. As for wheels and tires I recomend c-series w/ gncc's.

yamadog
07-26-2007, 10:04 PM
sounds good, thanks guys, w all those mods done, how much wuld i hav over him considerin us both rated at the same ridin level