PDA

View Full Version : My a-arms. Why so steep??

johnsls
07-23-2007, 08:55 AM
We notice this past wknd that my (+2 LSR arms) are steep.

I thought I had pics of mine but I don't.

This is someones elses quad,, notice they look steep, but they also look like stock arms. MIne sit the same way.

I know someone else that also has a 400ex also with +2's in the front and they sit more flat,, not completely flat but they are not as steep as you see here.

Whats up with this??

vett_09
07-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Are you running the stock front shocks? I noticed when I installed my Elka's my front end sat down lower.

400exrider707
07-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Susepension setup is #1, and a-arm design could also slightly alter it.

johnsls
07-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by vett_09
Are you running the stock front shocks? I noticed when I installed my Elka's my front end sat down lower.

No I'm running the 450R shocks. The arms also sat steeper when I had +2 Housers too.

Like I said, I know someone who also has a 400ex and also has +2's (I think houser) and his arms sit more flat.

johnsls
07-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Susepension setup is #1, and a-arm design could also slightly alter it.

I understand but were talking the same quad (400ex) One quad sits fine the other the arms are steeper.

On mine both name brands mounted the same way with the same result... too steep.

Oh and we both run 450R shocks... :(

86 Quad R
07-23-2007, 01:09 PM
regardless of the manufactorer of the a-arms, they are designed around how the 400ex's spindles "rotating angle" are setup. more than likely the a-arms that are setting "flatter" are designed with one that is shorter than the other, allowing the spindles to keep the oem factory "rotating" angle.

see where i'm headed with this? from experience, if you lower the front (using stock a-arms) of the 400ex so that the a-arms are flatter. it changes the angle of stearing pivot and makes the stearing response waaaay too qwik. kinda darty like.

make sense?

:confused:

300exOH
07-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by johnsls
I understand but were talking the same quad (400ex) One quad sits fine the other the arms are steeper.

On mine both name brands mounted the same way with the same result... too steep.

Oh and we both run 450R shocks... :(

It is possible that the other guys 450r shocks have been revalved/resprung to achieve the lowered ride height and yours are stock?

johnsls
07-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
It is possible that the other guys 450r shocks have been revalved/resprung to achieve the lowered ride height and yours are stock?

Well yes they were but only recently. Even prior to being rebuilt they still sat lower. :confused:

johnsls
07-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
regardless of the manufactorer of the a-arms, they are designed around how the 400ex's spindles "rotating angle" are setup. more than likely the a-arms that are setting "flatter" are designed with one that is shorter than the other, allowing the spindles to keep the oem factory "rotating" angle.

see where i'm headed with this? from experience, if you lower the front (using stock a-arms) of the 400ex so that the a-arms are flatter. it changes the angle of stearing pivot and makes the stearing response waaaay too qwik. kinda darty like.

make sense?

:confused:

I guess it kinda makes sense. BUT were both running stock spindles? Then again maybe mine are NOT the stock front spindles.. I did buy it used.
Hmmmmm..:confused: :confused:

REPOMAN
07-23-2007, 02:09 PM
i have lonestar on one of my quads they are +2 +1 and sit real nice. i also have tcs suspension on it.

300exOH
07-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Well yes they were but only recently. Even prior to being rebuilt they still sat lower. :confused:

I'm guessing you have tried to adjust the preload collar to adjust the ride height? ... If not then I'm guessing it has more to do with the design of the a arms like stated above. I wouldn't think the spindles would cause it to sit higher off the ground like that though.

STEVENJANNA
07-23-2007, 02:19 PM
John you have stock spindles.
Maybe I've been just looking at Scott's quad (and mine) for so long that your quad just looks wrong to me.

johnsls
07-23-2007, 02:22 PM
I "think" they are stock.

The front spindles are red but the rears "were" yellow when I got the quad,, since then I painted the rears black.

It is possible that my front spindles are NOT stock.

Steve, you should've taken my quad with you,, sounds like we have some work to do.:D

STEVENJANNA
07-23-2007, 02:26 PM
I "think" they are stock.

The front spindles are red but the rears "were" yellow when I got the quad,, since then I painted the rears black.

It is possible that my front spindles are NOT stock.

Steve, you should've taken my quad with you,, sounds like we have some work to do.:D
Before I went back out on the track I thought you asked me if I would take your quad. The next thing I know you and your quad are gone. The "spindles" that you are reffering to are the Hubs. In the front, the painted red part is the hub and the spindle is the shaft which the hub rides on.

johnsls
07-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Goofy me,, yeah your right. BTW I thought you told me to take it with me...

No big deal your not that far from me.

Thanks