PDA

View Full Version : How much and whats involved in replacing grab bar?

trey88
07-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Me and my cousin were riding today and we went up this pretty nasty hill, 2/3's of the way up the front end started to lift up, which almost resulted in one heck of a tumble to the bottom. Got it stopped though, but was stuck on the hill. Got it started easing down the hill, then the front brakes locked and down I went. Nailed a tree pretty hard and totaled the grab bar and the tool holder. I'm very lucky thats all that was damaged though. I tried to hammer the grab bar back out, but the tubing is starting to crack so it's no dice. I assume the rear subframe will have to be replaced from the way it looks. The bar is kinked in the middle, and the two bends where it forms the U like shape. Just curious how you guys would fix the bar, whether it would be a new subframe or maybe weld a piece in. The frame itself doesn't appear to be hurt, which is amazing because the quad picked up speed quick and hit hard. Thanks.

BasSTiD
07-22-2007, 11:19 PM
honestly... if it hit as hard as you explained and you had sufficient $$$, Lonestar makes a subframe for the 400ex that lets you replace the grab bar with any 250r grab bar. Once my sub twists or sumtin i'll def pick one up.

flauge
07-23-2007, 02:54 AM
you could always look on ebay if you need another sub.

j450rking
07-23-2007, 06:25 AM
if it's only the grab bar part then i would cut the grab bar off and weld on some brackets to mount up a 250r grab bar:macho

trey88
07-23-2007, 05:16 PM
I'll post pics when my camera charges up and I get something to eat. It looks better since the hammering but it's definetly not safe to trust. A 12 o clocked wheelie would equal an upside down ride pretty quick I believe.

trey88
07-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Heres a pic of the damage. Pretty bad for the bar. Very lucky the whole quad didn't go tumbling down and tear to pieces tho.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/trey88/grabbar.jpg

j450rking
07-23-2007, 08:39 PM
you could cut that part out and weld a peace of steel in there and it should work great

AbnMP13
07-24-2007, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by BasSTiD
honestly... if it hit as hard as you explained and you had sufficient $$$, Lonestar makes a subframe for the 400ex that lets you replace the grab bar with any 250r grab bar. Once my sub twists or sumtin i'll def pick one up.

How much do the LS subframes go for?

j450rking
07-24-2007, 07:50 AM
they are $375 last time i looked

gcart2
07-24-2007, 09:27 AM
i think it looks cool. id send it in to get sand blasted and powder coated and keep it tthat way.

trey88
07-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by j450rking
you could cut that part out and weld a peace of steel in there and it should work great

I thought about that since money is real tight right now with a engine build for the car and school going on. At shop we got some metal that wouldn't give much if any, just if the welds would hold with two different types of steels.

casey_lamm
07-24-2007, 05:22 PM
I dont know...the fact that it bent like it did might have lightened the load on the rest... do you have any indication that anything else is bent? Cause the way it looks to me I would cut it and weld in a new one... Doesn't look as bad as I imagined. But is anything else on the sub frame thats hard to see bent?

Does it ride smooth...any indication the frame is bent...if not...save your money and enjoy the bike :)

I feel your paid with the front end coming up on hill climbs...mine scares the heck out of me sometimes...seems like if they would have moved the engine forward 2" it would have helped significantly....

Originally posted by trey88
I thought about that since money is real tight right now with a engine build for the car and school going on. At shop we got some metal that wouldn't give much if any, just if the welds would hold with two different types of steels.

leprogle85
07-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Here is a pic of my 400ex, the previous owner cut the stock grabbar off, and welded nuts onto the subframe, so a 250r grab bar could be mounted. I like this setup because I am on my second grab bar lol

trey88
07-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by casey_lamm
I dont know...the fact that it bent like it did might have lightened the load on the rest... do you have any indication that anything else is bent? Cause the way it looks to me I would cut it and weld in a new one... Doesn't look as bad as I imagined. But is anything else on the sub frame thats hard to see bent?

Does it ride smooth...any indication the frame is bent...if not...save your money and enjoy the bike :)

I feel your paid with the front end coming up on hill climbs...mine scares the heck out of me sometimes...seems like if they would have moved the engine forward 2" it would have helped significantly....

The quad rode fine, frame looks straight to me, even though it took a hard impact. As many braces as it appears to have under the plastic I think it's ok.

The only other thing hurt is the plastic tool holder, it got bent out of round. I think that bracket may have bent a little too, but the frame itself looks ok.

trey88
07-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by leprogle85
Here is a pic of my 400ex, the previous owner cut the stock grabbar off, and welded nuts onto the subframe, so a 250r grab bar could be mounted. I like this setup because I am on my second grab bar lol

I may go with that idea. I'll have to take some time and figure out what needs to be done, then actually get a grabbar. Just have other priorites trying to get my other playtoy running again.

leprogle85
07-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Mine takes the 86-87 250r grab bar, the bolts are spaced further apart than the 88-89, and the grab bars are fairly cheap, I believe the 86-87 are cheaper, because the 88-89 come with a pipe mount.

choco
07-25-2007, 12:04 AM
Not to Hi-jack but...

My grab bar is one witht he sub-frame(not sure if thats suppose to be like that) Can you still buy a new rear bumper to screw on with the u-joint bolt set up, or do you have to cut some ****?

Noob question I know.

gcart2
07-25-2007, 04:38 AM
the only grab bars they sell for he 400 is the cooler holder 1.

j450rking
07-25-2007, 05:56 AM
not true i have the one from the top link and it's awsome! but the one from the bottom link would be better for if you like to put your feet on the grab bar for wheelys

http://prm-atv.com/MN.asp?pg=products&specific=282&from=47&mfr=2

http://prm-atv.com/MN.asp?pg=products&specific=281&from=47&mfr=2

billyboy
07-26-2007, 07:23 AM
I got a LSR subframe for you :devil: chrome and ready to go.