PDA

View Full Version : 05 wont kick what might have happened??

AlexG
07-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Ok so today me and my buddy were riding and i go down to his house and we are sitting there and then we decide to leave i go to kick my quad and it wont kick at all im like wtf?? so i push it forward a little and it then i could kick it but it wouldnt start?? so then i catch it in gear and finally it goes so im like ok well lets rides.

well then we are up in the woods and see some ppl we kno, we stop, start talkin to them and yea i told my buddy i got to go and i try to kick it and it wont kick again. i had to leave right then so i start to push it back down the hill and catch it in gear again but this time it starts to click really loud and wont catch then it just seizes?? so i got him to take me to my uncles and we towed it home with my unlces rhino.

Like right before i tried to catch it in gear the second time i thought i heard it clickin but i wasnt sure well yea i guess im sure now. So anyone have any ideas what could have happened

07-22-2007, 08:36 PM
I dont know what might have happened to it. What most people do for it to work is put it in gear and push it back and forth once real quick and it will kick over but i dont know what happened to you. I have always had great luck with my 04 450r *knock on wood* but its under warrenty till december 08 but my uncle has a 04 450r that has been beat to hell and back and was always real hard to kick and you have to put all your weight into it to start it and today he cracked the bottom end trying to start it under the kicker and ruined the center part of the bottom end.

pro-rider46
07-22-2007, 09:08 PM
it could be the crank bearings maybe. what year quad is it.

AlexG
07-22-2007, 09:11 PM
It is an 05

pro-rider46
07-22-2007, 09:23 PM
yeah i would have someone take a look at those crank bearings if were you. or can do it if think your qualified enough. do check your valve clearences often?

AlexG
07-22-2007, 09:27 PM
No i havent got that checked for about a year. My buddy actually said maybe i could have dropped a valve but im not good with engines so yea i dont really kno lol all i kno is it didnt sound good when i tried to start it and yea wont kick :ermm:

pro-rider46
07-22-2007, 09:36 PM
yeah maybe the valve locked the motor up. drop her by the dealership or someones house. the crank bearings going out can get very pricey. good luck, keep us posted up

BlaineKaiser450
07-22-2007, 10:34 PM
I would definatly check the crank bearings

400exrider707
07-23-2007, 06:20 AM
Crank or Rod bearing most likely... not too uncommon with these motors....

Probably would have saved a lot of headaches if you didn't ride it after it locked up the first time...

07-23-2007, 03:42 PM
yea man when something doesnt work as it should you should always have it checked out before riding it i mean its only common sense.

440challenger
07-24-2007, 06:47 AM
if it still runs but is hard to kick, im betting the auto decompression bolt backed out, the spring broke, or its just way out of adjustment

AlexG
08-04-2007, 10:22 AM
So yea i finally have some time to work on my quad and see what happened. well the first thing i was going to do was just take out the air filter and yea i guess clean it for later. well i took of the air box lid and the filter was just laying there?? so i guess the bolts broke offf some how and yea idk. well point is there was a spacer that was used to hold it up that now is missing and i dont think that there is anyway it could have left the air box except the intake hole thing to the carburetor. you think that this could have f*cked up my engine?? ohh and I had a K&N air filter in it thats where the spacer came from

Punk'd
08-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Crank or rod bearings is what it sounds like to me.

AlexG
08-12-2007, 09:20 AM
I said that that spacer was missing in my air filter box well i guess i was right on where it went. As soon as me and my buddy took off my head saw a little rounded metal spacer about the size of a dime now but it use to be a little smaller than a quarter lol. well anyways it bent a valve put a couple big scratches in the piston, on the head, and on the walls. Well after we got everything off we tried to see if it would kick still and yea it wouldnt then that is when we noticed for some reason that the back skirt of my piston was cracked?? so we stared to look for the piece and couldnt find it so it must have been done in the case. well he tried to push down on the kicker again and all of a sudden it unlocked and we found the piece it must have few up out of the case i thought it was a little crazy. so now all i got to do is get the money to put it back together lol

AlexG
08-12-2007, 09:21 AM
ohh yea and how would that back of the piston crack??? anyone got any ideas on that? thanks

chad502ex
08-12-2007, 09:36 AM
i would bet that the rod no longer was centerlined in the cylinder bore..

i'd say you verify that your crank bearings are still good.. a bad bearing will throw off the entire crankshaft centered within the bore causing side-skirts to break.

AlexG
08-12-2007, 09:47 AM
does that mean that im going to have to split the case?

chad502ex
08-12-2007, 06:43 PM
I would at least remove both sides of the engine, clutch side and flywheel, plus remove the seals to verify play... this would be after of coarse i inspected for ferrous metal fragments in my oil filter/oil...

if no metal, then I would just :fingers-crossed: lol just kindding good luck.

AlexG
08-12-2007, 09:26 PM
well i checked my oil like as the second thing i did and both sides were metal free i didnt check my filter but im going to do that in a little so i think that my troubles stayed mainly in the top. i going to run gas through the case just to wash it out make sure there isnt any metal in there. that will work right