PDA

View Full Version : clutch perches

CarGuy7a
07-22-2007, 07:56 PM
i'm lookin to buy a new clutch perch b/c i recently removed my parking brake and i made a little spacer so i could take the little p/brake pin lever deal out but my clutch is sticking a little at the lever.

i read in a previous thread that you can't use the stock clutch switch with aftermarket perches. they mentioned that you can take the 2 wires and connect them together so it will start in gear.

my question is, if you connect the wires it will engage the starter when the clutch is not pulled in when i gear correct? also will it blow any fuses having them connected all the time?

i was thinking of gettin an ASV C5 lever setup.

Ace Sixx
07-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a

my question is, if you connect the wires it will engage the starter when the clutch is not pulled in when i gear correct?

Yes, I believe that to be the case. With the stock clutch switch, you are completing the circuit when you pull the clutch in thus allowing you to start the engine whilst in gear. If you remove the switch and connect the wires together you are once again completing the circuit just as if you had the lever pulled in. So, if your quad was in gear and you hit the start button it would lurch forward. Just make sure you pull your clutch lever in and it shouldn't be a problem.

I've not heard about anyone having issues with blown fuses doing this mod.

Regarding the C5, I have the pro version and really like it. However, when I installed it initially, the lever adjustment screw and lock nut would hit on the starter and light switch assembly when the lever was pulled. To remedy this, I simply did away with the adjustment screw and lock nut and replaced it with a shorter set screw from the hardware store. I figured that once I adjusted the lever to fit my hand no further adjustment would be necessary. To keep the screw in place I put a small dab of Loctite on it. Working out quite nicely.

JOEX
07-22-2007, 09:56 PM
If you remove the switch and not connect the two wires you will need to put the transmission in neutral to start the motor.

project400ex19
07-22-2007, 10:01 PM
I ran into the same problem...I have the ASV F-3 clutch perch. And highly reccomend it. Yes you have to connect the two wires. and i have not had any problems with mine blowing fuses and i guess i haven't even tried to start it without the clutch lever pulled...habit of pulling it in i guess. But you will notice even with just the F-3 your clutch pull is way smoother and easier. It gets a five star rating from me.

hornetgod13
07-22-2007, 10:11 PM
I have an ASV F3 perch on my quad. I connected the two wires. The quad will lerch forward if you forget to pull in the clutch while it's in gear. It will only take you once or twice before remember to pull the clutch every time you hit the starter button. I highly recommend connecting the wires because having to shift it to neutral everytime you want to start it will quickly become a pain in the @$$! I've had no issues with blown fuses in the 6 months I've had the wires connected.

CarGuy7a
07-23-2007, 07:37 PM
yeah i don't think it will take long to get used to pulling the clutch in to start since i do it now with the stock setup so i should be good to go.

thanks for the picture as well. also with the F3 setup you have does it hit the switch housing when pulled all the way in? if not i may just get that one.

hornetgod13
07-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
thanks for the picture as well. also with the F3 setup you have does it hit the switch housing when pulled all the way in? if not i may just get that one.

If you look closely at the picture you may be able to see that I filed a little bit off the adjusting nut on the handle assembly. With the clutch pulled in it clears by a 1/16th.

Def-e-nition
07-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Guys , would One of you Be able to Give me the code or part no . for the F3 set-up ?

I think my Local dEaler has SOld me the 2-wheeler bike Lever kit , meaning : I am having ENDLESS problems trying to engage the Lever 2 Laps Into the Race .THe clutch cable feels so tight , as If I've Never bothered to actually Oil it .
I'm a little upset , as this Now means I need to find Another shop to supply Me the Correct Lever . I do Not want to use the original lever , urrent set-up , Im Not so Sure at All ..

1965 honda
07-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
If you remove the switch and not connect the two wires you will need to put the transmission in neutral to start the motor.

CarGuy7a
07-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Def-e-nition
Guys , would One of you Be able to Give me the code or part no . for the F3 set-up ?

I think my Local dEaler has SOld me the 2-wheeler bike Lever kit , meaning : I am having ENDLESS problems trying to engage the Lever 2 Laps Into the Race .THe clutch cable feels so tight , as If I've Never bothered to actually Oil it .
I'm a little upset , as this Now means I need to find Another shop to supply Me the Correct Lever . I do Not want to use the original lever , urrent set-up , Im Not so Sure at All ..

the www.motosport.com part no. for the F3 is PRLQGS
the F3 Pro setup no. is XKNPWF. don't know if that will help, i couldn't find the actual ASV website.

ok guys thanks. so whether i get the C5 Pro or the F3 Pro i will have to do a little bit of modding with the adjustment screw. no big problem. thanks for the info.

dariusld
07-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Some people remove their switches.:ermm: