PDA

View Full Version : another wrong forum thread

Alberta_Qaudin
07-22-2007, 07:47 PM
i know this is in the wrong forum but i know you get faster responces here...... so dumb question, when putting my motor back together (400ex) should i be able to compress the rings with my fingers to get them back into the cylinder wall or does that mean i'm going to have low compression. should i need a tool to get them back in.

JOEX
07-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Alberta_Qaudin
i know this is in the wrong forum but i know you get faster responces here...... so dumb question, when putting my motor back together (400ex) should i be able to compress the rings with my fingers to get them back into the cylinder wall or does that mean i'm going to have low compression. should i need a tool to get them back in.
In my experience... sometimes.....:ermm:

GPracer2500
07-22-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm a little unclear about your question.

It's either: Is a ring compressor tool required to install my piston or can I just use my fingers? Answer: You can use your fingers but sometimes it a real pain. It helps to have three or four hands. There is some danger of damaging a ring during the install if you get one hung up and force it anyway. I've always used my fingers. I think this is what JOEX was answering.

Or you're asking: Will fresh rings have so much spring tension that I shouldn't be able to push them into the piston's grooves with my fingers? Answer: No. All by themselves, the rings don't really press into the cylinder wall all that hard. You should be able to press the rings flush with the piston by hand. I think this is what your actually asking about but I'm not sure.

Sidenote: The rings do get a whole bunch of extra sealing pressure when the engine is actually running. When there's pressure above the piston (like on the compression stroke and especially on the power stroke), some of that pressure gets behind the rings and press them outward into the cylinder wall. That's why I mentioned "all by themselves" above.

Alberta_Qaudin
07-24-2007, 08:12 PM
both of those are exactly the answers i was looking for, thank you very much