PDA

View Full Version : getting worn out racing...help?

ZSNOW
07-22-2007, 07:15 PM
i keep getting worn out quick in my second moto and im having trouble putting two motos together...

i get arm pump and thumb pump so bad i can barely move my arms and thumb afterwards, any suggestions?:confused:

BlaineKaiser450
07-22-2007, 07:49 PM
i would find something that will exersize (sp?) your hands (stress ball or something like it) and do it while you watch tv or something

firefighterjosh
07-23-2007, 02:20 AM
Cardio stack and some small weight training, and wrist brace has helped my arm pump. Now I just get plan worn out lol

Rootar
07-23-2007, 06:49 AM
relax a little, be more confident and ride a little loose. Dont keep a death grip on the bars and dont try to manhandle the quad as much, youll be able to ride alot faster and not be near as tired. Its not at all easy but if you can break those habbits i havent had arm pump or handcramps or been plain wornout this year at all and i feel much better the next day then i used too.

also like its already been said do some handexercises while or sitting around or during school and what not.

quad2xtreme
07-23-2007, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Rootar
relax a little, be more confident and ride a little loose. Dont keep a death grip on the bars and dont try to manhandle the quad as much, youll be able to ride alot faster and not be near as tired. Its not at all easy but if you can break those habbits i havent had arm pump or handcramps or been plain wornout this year at all and i feel much better the next day then i used too.

also like its already been said do some handexercises while or sitting around or during school and what not.

I don't race but I get arm pump riding on the tracks. I take 3 Advil or 2 Excedrin 20 minutes before I ride and I am fine for 4 hours. If I forget, I can only ride about 20 minutes and then the pain is strong enough I have to stop riding.

It will only take one race to see if this will help you. Good Luck!

ZSNOW
07-23-2007, 07:41 AM
what about for a throttle, could i put a different spring in my throttle so its not so hard to push?

LTR450_#67
07-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Make sure you're well hydrated and eat a banana about 20min b4 a moto. The potassium in the banana will help resist the armpump.

ZSNOW
07-23-2007, 07:42 AM
and thanx for all those answers, i already grabbed a stress ball and started working on that haha, as far as cardio stack, does it have any weird side effects, and will it kill my stomach? since my stomachs not very good as it is?

400exrider707
07-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Drink lots of water throughout race day, eat one banana before your first moto.

What setup do you have on your quad, I've found that a good combo of handlebars and grips works wonders....

A steering stabilizer will help tremendously too on the arm pump. You dont really ever notice it, but at the end of the race you will notice you are a lot less tired.

quad2xtreme
07-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by LTR450_#67
Make sure you're well hydrated and eat a banana about 20min b4 a moto. The potassium in the banana will help resist the armpump.

Also heard of people eating at least a banana a day for the week before a race...

TWISTED DINLI
07-23-2007, 08:42 AM
i made this lil arm pump workout thing. just take like a 5 pound weight, a rope, and something to hold on to. i used a small pvc pipe. then tie the rope to the weight and the pvc pipe. then start rolling your wrist but pulling up the weight when u roll your wrist.

eat a banana evreyday. then try to relieve yourself at the line and dont be nervous. thats what i do and it all works for me.

07-23-2007, 08:58 AM
I used to get it a lot too, but now I rarely get any arm pump or thumb pump. I used to have one of those thumb throttle extenders on and it worked pretty good, but mine fell off so now I'm back to the normal throttle and its been fine for me. Just ride and ride and ride, and it will all go away. Now all I gotta work on are starts, my starts are a joke:o

ZSNOW
07-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Drink lots of water throughout race day, eat one banana before your first moto.

What setup do you have on your quad, I've found that a good combo of handlebars and grips works wonders....

A steering stabilizer will help tremendously too on the arm pump. You dont really ever notice it, but at the end of the race you will notice you are a lot less tired.

i got pro taper atv highs, with no langths cut off and scott grips...as far as the steering stabalizer, anyone got one used?

i guess my biggest issue after all this, im alergic to banana's...:D

whats the biggest thing i can do to get rid of thumb pump, thats my biggest issue on my blaster...

iraq66
07-23-2007, 01:47 PM
go twist throttle when i raced my blaster thats what i had thats when i frist started racing and had the same problem as you but now im older and been raceing for a while i dont get arm pump no more and back to thumb throttle

400exrider707
07-23-2007, 02:21 PM
I am not a fan of twist on atvs and I dont think its safe, but thats a preference. I know yamahas are notorious for stiff thumb throttles. Buy a 300ex throttle off ebay or here and try to make it work, they have substantially less effot in their push. Also I've never been a fan of scott grips, I think they are one of the worst I've used. I personally use oury, but going fatter will cause more arm pump and you dont want that. Try a set of renthals or tags, tags are pretty decent. I guess its a preference though. Grips are cheap enough to try a couple different sets and see what you like.

N300exJ
07-23-2007, 07:46 PM
If you want to fix your thumb fatigue you need to put a honda thumb throttle on your blaster. Hondas thumb throttles are more egronomic to your thumb and hand. It will make it seem way lighter. Yamaha thumb throttles suck. Its even written in dirtwheels or atv action about swithing from a yami to honda thumb throttle. do that asap!

To fix the arm pump the biggest thing i have found to help is a few asprin and flexx bars. second would be ride more. the asprin helps to thin your blood out so it doesnt clot in your veins. thats what arm pump is.

Spider makes the best grips hands down. They wear out super fast but there so comfy its worth it.