PDA

View Full Version : Underground Utilities

JOEX
07-22-2007, 06:45 PM
I'd like to run all utilities to a future detached garage/shop underground which will include:

Water supply
Sewer
Electrical
Phone line
Natural gas (maybe)

Also thinking of running a couple empty conduits for future use.

Does anyone know if everything can be run in the same trench or do certain items need to seperated?

Anything else I should think about?

Ruby Soho
07-22-2007, 07:18 PM
depending where you live, heating?

wvspeedfreak
07-22-2007, 07:38 PM
I know here you can't run water supply lines and sewer lines in the same ditch.

JOEX
07-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
depending where you live, heating?
Heating method is undecided.... Radiant floor would be nice but upfront cost may be too much for me and this area. Thinking about upgrading the house F/A Nat Gas unit and transplanting the old to the garage.

Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
I know here you can't run water supply lines and sewer lines in the same ditch.
Yea, I thought that would be an issue...

Thanks for the input so far, would like to hear more:)

I haven't contacted the local authorities on this subject yet. Just trying get some info so I know what questions to ask when I do;)

spanky101
07-22-2007, 09:32 PM
different utilities might have to be run at different depths.

terko440
07-22-2007, 09:34 PM
electrical phone and cable can be burried together, it may be inconvenient but i cant imagine you'd put everything in one trench, maybe a wide one so there not so close.

my88r
07-22-2007, 09:48 PM
i would check your areas codes for what you want to do.

JOEX
07-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by my88r
i would check your areas codes for what you want to do.

Originally posted by JOEX
I haven't contacted the local authorities on this subject yet. Just trying get some info so I know what questions to ask when I do;)
;)

JOEX
07-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by terko440
electrical phone and cable can be burried together, it may be inconvenient but i cant imagine you'd put everything in one trench, maybe a wide one so there not so close.
Yea, i'm just trying to limit the amount of uneccessary labor since I may be doing most of it:p

bwamos
07-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Most places the majority can be put in the same ditch except for the sewage.

Generally water is at the bottom at about 5ft (below the frost line). Then above that is the Power. Then above that is the cable/phone, etc..)

Gas line can usually be run next to, or right under, the water line.

Check the local codes & best practices, though.

MOFO
07-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Make sure you pull some Cat 5 and Coax cable - you might want to send out the internet or some TV signals to the workshop area. Atleast I know I would...

<DRS>GPF
07-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Make sure you pull some Cat 5 and Coax cable - you might want to send out the internet or some TV signals to the workshop area. Atleast I know I would...

agreed, even if you just leave it/them looped in a work-box, behind a blank..

JOEX
07-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Most places the majority can be put in the same ditch except for the sewage.

Generally water is at the bottom at about 5ft (below the frost line). Then above that is the Power. Then above that is the cable/phone, etc..)

Gas line can usually be run next to, or right under, the water line.

Check the local codes & best practices, though. Water is 5 feet? Wow...

Thanks for the info:)

Originally posted by MOFO
Yea, that's what I have intended for the empty conduits, maybe i'll just run them anyway.

HondaEXrider22
07-24-2007, 04:37 AM
I personally would use a wood stove to heat the garage. What sizes are you planning?

derekhonda
07-24-2007, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Water is 5 feet? Wow...

Thanks for the info:)

Yea, that's what I have intended for the empty conduits, maybe i'll just run them anyway.

Not five feet everywhere, think its 3.5 for indiana, it does vary though....

tw1976
07-24-2007, 05:35 PM
I install underground utilities for a living. In new subdivisions we always bury the electric, cable tv, and telephone, then a foot of backfill and the gas goes on top of that. You need to keep the gas seperate in case your electric would ever fault. When we are finished the gas must have at least three feet of cover. Being private lines you may not have to have specific covers.

I don't know about the water and sewer I don't work with them. One other thing I can suggest is to bury a copper tracer wire with the lines so they can be located in the future if needed. We often dig in peoples yards to replace service lines and often hit private lines that they have no idea where they are.

Be sure to check with your local building inspector. He should be able to answer what goes for your area.