PDA

View Full Version : Skid Plate

jeepguy46126
07-22-2007, 03:36 PM
I just made my own skid plate . I havent decided how to mount it yet . I have never seen one on so , I was just wondering how they go on . Should I just drill and tap holes in the bottom of the frame ? or do they go on with u-bolts around the frame ?

Thanks for any help!

Nate

JOEX
07-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by jeepguy46126
I just made my own skid plate . I havent decided how to mount it yet . I have never seen one on so , I was just wondering how they go on . Should I just drill and tap holes in the bottom of the frame ? or do they go on with u-bolts around the frame ?

Thanks for any help!

Nate
I belive most if not all use u-bolts, wouldn't recommend drilling into the frame:ermm:

sahlberg
07-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Yup, U-Bolts are the way to go.

ride-to-live
07-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Yea Ubolts are the way to go because drilling the frame makes your frame less strong i believe and it looks bad..

86 Quad R
07-23-2007, 12:40 PM
personally i would try to mount it by fabbing up tabs where are places to bolt them to. vibrations have a tendousy to allow slack to develope in a u-blot application.

if you do go with the u-bolt setup, make sure you wrap the frame with rubber hose in the mounting locations and be sure to use locking typ nuts.

jeepguy46126
07-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I am just going to make my own brackets to mount with. I was just wanting something easy if it was aready out there. I dont really like the look of u-bolts. I dont really think tapping some small holes spread out over the frame would hurt anything , but since everyone is againt that idea I will just fab something up.

Nate