PDA

View Full Version : kfx400 information

jd20
07-22-2007, 12:45 PM
hey guys i need your help i looking at buying a 2004 kfx400 what are some problems with these quads adn is it a good quad or not.

JGlaze
07-22-2007, 07:48 PM
As long as you keep it maintained it is a great quad. I got a z400 in early 02 when they first came out and still have it, I even got a second one this winter. Besides stripping out the steering stem threads (I beat the CRAP out of it riding very rocky trails in October mountain state forest in MA) its a great machine. Having the frame gusseted is a plus. For what it is and considering that you can get a used one for 2-3k its a very affordable high performance trail machine.

JGlaze
07-22-2007, 07:55 PM
As long as you keep it maintained it is a great quad. I got a z400 in early 02 when they first came out and still have it, I even got a second one this winter. Besides stripping out the steering stem threads (I beat the CRAP out of it riding very rocky trails in October mountain state forest in MA) its a great machine. Having the frame gusseted is a plus. For what it is and considering that you can get a used one for 2-3k its a very affordable high performance trail machine.

jd20
07-23-2007, 01:19 PM
i have never had the chance to ride a kfx 400 are they fast or should i look into their 450r

JGlaze
07-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Honestly, I used to race a full blown racing 450 and no the Z is not as powerful as a 450. How ever for normal/aggressive all around riding for fun in the trails or where ever the KFX/Z400 is a blast. I can best describe its power as what ever you want it to be. For example if you want a lesurly ride it is kind too you when ridden a gear high, if you want to be aggressive it responds well to full throttle action when you feel like violating the dirt of a nice berm. Its comfortable for long rides, reliable, and has decent power. If this is the kind of riding you will be doing I'd say go for the 400. If you want to race motocross or hit up huge sand dunes go with a 450. Since I'm not racing any more I'm gonna stick with the z my self.

jd20
07-23-2007, 09:14 PM
lk thanks for all teh information i really appreciate it it helped alot i think i am going to buy it in a couple weeks once i get the money.

cataway
07-24-2007, 08:34 PM
the front shocks need to be replaced , 450r 's work very well. one thing that wore out on me was the wheel bearings ,there is no seal on the bearing on the inside the hub and no way to grease ,its an easy fix, but still a grease zerk would of been a great idea or at least they could of used bearings with both seals on them.thats it, thats all thats wrong with a ltz 400

tgreenz400
07-24-2007, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cataway
[B]the front shocks need to be replaced , 450r 's work very well.

whats the difference between the two:confused: their almost identical

drnez
07-25-2007, 11:08 AM
03/04 style shocks only preload adjustable and are non-rebuilding They will not last more than 30 hours from what I've been told before they turn into pogo sticks.

The 05+ shocks are preload/compression/rebound adjustable and fully rebuildable. They are excellent shocks, and can be made even better with a revalve.