PDA

View Full Version : Quadfest 2007 Coverage

Pappy
07-22-2007, 11:55 AM
I just returned from the annual "Quadfest" sponsored by Can Am and held at the Mountain Ridge (http://www.mountainridgeatvtrails.com/) facility in Reels Corner Pennslyvania. The event is co-sponsored by so many, especially www.paatving.com and many others that do everything they can to promote this growing event each year. 3100+ pre entries were sold prior to the gates opening Thursday, and thousands more were expected to arrive throughout the weekend. ATV's and UVT's of all makes and models were running the 60+ miles of trails. The Rhino and Razor seemed better suited for the green trails, but i did hear of a few venturing to try the black trails!

Photo Gallery (http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thumbpage.aspx?e=3026808)

Pappy
07-22-2007, 11:58 AM
With so many riders on hand, the vendors area stayed busy most of the day with people taking abreak from the trails to see what was going on and to catch the special events the promoters had in store for everyone.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Can Am had a huge presence at this event as they continue to prove they are eager to get riders onboard their models. Test rides of almost every model were held every day and most everyone who could climbed aboard for a chance to see what they are all about.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Carlisle Tires were displaying all it's current models, including it's brand new utility Mud tire at this event. This event marked the debut of the new model and it appears to be a contender!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:04 PM
The new Can Am 450 was on display and it was getting the once over by anyone who was into sport and racing quads. the new technology brought to the ATV world by Can Am caught a few by surprise when they saw there were not any welds. I was'nt the only one wanting to try it out but it was a no go, and was regulated to sitting and holding down 4 spots of dirt.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Almost every model was represented and driving one away from vendors row wasnt hard if you were so inclined to make a deal! Pricing was competitive and I almost left with a new KFX450

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Mike Penland was signing autographs for fans and even managed to take the Can Am Spyder for a spin. He relayed to me afterwards that it had some safety controls regarding the positioning of the rear wheel:devil:

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Vendor row was open for riders this year, and worked out fairly well. I only saw the water truck once and by friday afternoon nothing was clean:p The security people were worse then any riders I saw on vendor row and were more numerous to boot.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Fishers Outdoor Television was once again onhand to film the event for upcoming episodes.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Gear and parts were in decent supply, and even the pricing was in the affordable range for most items. Goggles were moving fast as dust was a huge issue this year with the lack of rain. The crew at Instigator Racing gets my award for hardest working as they non-stop changed tires and wrenched on quads for people!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:15 PM
HMF was out in full force and not only had enough parts for anything imaginable, they had one helluva good time entertaining the crowds!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Hans, the owner of HMF, had his kickazz custom Rhino outfitted and ready for anything Quadfest could throw his way.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Friday's sunny albeit chilly weather lead us from dust filled skies to a beautiful sunset as tired riders wandered the facility to get food and check out the entertainment.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Some riders caught a break (literally) and made UPS deadlines to have parts shipped overnight.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:23 PM
It seemed that almost every person i met belonged to some form of club, formal or not, and the chance to show that club off was of utmost importance! The sanctioned race quads aint got nothin' on the good ol' boys when it comes to making sure you know where they come from!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:28 PM
I attempted to ride a Green trail friday afternoon, and I managed to complete it at the expense of a throbbing foot :p My chances of getting out on the trails saturday disappeared thanks to broken bones but I did meet a TON of people that all seemed to have stories to tell. If I couldnt be out there, thier stories atleast made me feel part of what was going on in the surrounding hills and valleys.

Having to hobble around I got to see more of the Utility/Trail side of our sport from the perspective of a buyer. It was interesting to find many similarities when it came to proper set up and just because Ute riders dont always have 3 zillion stickers on their machines, didnt mean they took their choice of tires , rims and accessories any less serious.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Powermadd products have been enjoying great success in large part to GNCC Pro rider Johnny Gallagher's involvement in getting these products in the hands of racers, and to the average rider via events such as these.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Friday was low key as trail riding took center stage. The slow trickle of riders into vendors row was no surprise with 60+ miles of trails on tap for all to enjoy! Those that did come in before evening meandered about taking it all in. Free shirts, hats , drink koozies and stickers were in abundance for those willing to walk up and chat!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:36 PM
The cool part about being able to ride vendors row was that you could easily show any vendor a problem and most were able to help in most situations. Riding groups would pull up and buy a product and install it before riding off to tackle another trail, or get needed safety equipment before heading back off to tame what lay ahead.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Tire kicking was in full force:p I would love to see more manufactures get involved in this event and have atleast two models to do test rides on. many I spoke with said they would buy the Can Am based soley on the fact they could test ride it! The company that stays in touch with its customers before and after the sale get the big bucks, and Can Am is leading the way!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Front row parking for the live band, and the infamous deer antler helmet made its annual appearence:p

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Riders of all ages on every type of machine ever made filtered through the trails

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:41 PM
The first full day of riding was drawing to a close as the dust began to settle and the sunset over the event.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Sometimes riding partners have four legs:p

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Cody had wanted badly to go hit the harder trails, and Johnny G was up to the task of keeping an eye on the mighty midget. JG was on 2 wheels for this ride as Cody awaited the chance to go riding with one of the Pro's

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:47 PM
An hour or so later they returned no worse for ware. Cody had a blast and I thank JG for letting him tag along. Im sure his PRM bumper does not extend the same thankfullness...haha

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Womans GNCC Champ Traci Cecco was on hand signing autographs at the Powermadd booth and took a second for me to grab a shot before the sun went down.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:51 PM
The Carlisle tire reps were a bunch of fun, and eager to show their products. With some new advertising and great attitude, look for them to step up their support of our sport!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Everywhere I went I ran into good folks! I know the hard work alot of these people put into this event and it showed this year!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Saturday dawned cold to alot of folks, I thought it was perfect with temps in the high 50's! The sky was so blue it seemed surreal. I wanted to scoot down to the obstacle course when I passed this clean chevy. I figured I would take a pic of it before it was coated in an inch of dust:p

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:57 PM
The obstacle course was laid out fairly simple, with some challenges thrown in to keep it honest. Fishers films as the riders get their lap in.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 12:59 PM
A see-saw obstacle ended the course, with the rider having to ring a bell to stop the clock.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Two classes, one sport and one utility would compete for a new set of tires! The fastest lap time would be the victor.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:00 PM
A few good hard corners would keep speeds to a sane level, and while a few contestants did manage to flip, the only thing hurt was their pride. A dirtbike rider did enter and I saw him heading to the ambulance after kicking the bell and whiping out upon landing.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Before each run, the rider was given an object to retrieve from the pool. There were so many things in that water that finding the one item proved to be the hardest challenge!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Honda5 from this site opted to use his 250ex for the obtacle course, and he was flyin!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Cody was soon on the course and looked great!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:05 PM
He made short work of the big tires:p

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:06 PM
He found his object in the pool in record time and was off to the last few obstacles!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Up to the end he was in contention, but he missed the bell and had to spin around for another attempt that killed his time:p You can be the judge if he had fun or not:D

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:08 PM
One rider accidently hit the bell sending it flying! After that, riders got inventive in better and faster ways to shave time off the clock!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Returning to the tent, Ryan was all ready to hit the trails for more riding! Our GNCC prepped TRX90 was a crowd favorite and drew a boat load of attention both on the trails and on vendor row. many looked it over and stated it was Honda's new 250 haha. Kids on Quads hooked Cody up with a new protective suit as an early birthday present for his little brother and Ryan wanted to see how well it worked:chinese: Thankfully he never really found out:p

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:13 PM
No matter what time it was, riders were steadily hammering the vast trail network set up for them

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:14 PM
The drag racing was looking to be a huge draw, as hundreds upon hundreds gathered to spectate

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Mini racers were on deck first and last minute talks were underway

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure what the delay was, but the crowd wasnt to happy with no action to watch. After a few choice words from the large crowd, everything died back down to hurry up and wait

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:22 PM
I would geuss over an hour passed before we actual saw any racing:(

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:24 PM
The mini;s finally got the ok to run and run they did. The Cobra turned a few heads on its first pass as many folks had no idea what it was or that it was so fast!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:25 PM
We would have entered, but seeing the delay sure made me feel better about missing it:p All I can say is that there were tons of entries adding to the workers load.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:37 PM
I had a few hundred more shots of the drag race and the mud action but they have disappeared:grr: Im not sure if I dropped a card or hit the delete button by mistake but I cant locate them. If I find them or someone happened to find a 4 gb card, post them...lol

The rockets they shot off were pretty cool, and boy did they ever go WAY up in the air:p I geuss me yelling "ALQUEDA" at the first launch did not go over well...lol:devil:

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:39 PM
The parachute was deployed by the operator on the ground, high tech toys for sure! I would have bet anything that finding them in the wind would be impossible as high as they went, but all were retrieved.(You can see one floating towards the buildings in the background)

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:43 PM
By saturday night, you could tell people were tired. Many had riden every trail and the dust and rocks had taken a toll! From what I hear however, the festivities were alive and well as a huge party erupted in the parking area. I did not personally venture down to it, way to late and I was way to sore, but it was described to me as a cross between larry the cable guy and girls gone wild:devil:

For the average person, a good nights rest was all the action they needed

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:45 PM
A few quads got to get a bath courtesy of your $5 and the local fire dept!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:46 PM
The crew at HMF had a good crowd all trying to geuss TV theme songs, and the winners all got HMF goodies:p

I was first to get I love Lucy:huh

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Saturday night melted slowly into complete darkeness as the last few people mingled around the vendor area. Sweatshirts were popular as the chilly mountain air came rolling in.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Sunday morning was ugly. I had to get up and head off to town to get a part for my generator and on the way back I could see the dust from over 5 miles away.

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Riders heading out to trail ride stirred up as much if not more dust in the parking area then they did on the trails. Rain did hit the area wednesday and thursday but it was no real help. Mother nature needed to pitch in just a shower or two and this could have easily been the best quadfest yet!

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Looking out at distant trails showed what the riders were facing. Everyone took it in stride as its just another part of having fun in this sport:p

Pappy
07-22-2007, 01:58 PM
I would say the dust rivaled this years GNCC at the Penton, but atleast here you could slow down and take a break....if you couldnt hack it that is:devil:

Pappy
07-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Thats about all I have seeing I am missing a card of pics:ermm: i had a great time and meeting so many new people was awesome. I hope that next year I can actually get out and ride everyday and enjoy what the event offers! If you were there and have pictures please post them! Some of the best shots are from the trails and the camp areas and we all look forward to seeing them!!

Ghost-Rider
07-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Nice pics Pappy ! Looked like fun.

450Rfutureracer
07-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
The crew at HMF had a good crowd all trying to geuss TV theme songs, and the winners all got HMF goodies:p

I was first to get I love Lucy:huh

Thats my lil bro and one of my dads friends kid to the left haha i was the one limping around with the crutchs and huge cast i got a free HMF hat from that too. GREAT TIME

05Z400rdr
07-22-2007, 07:43 PM
great coverage Pappy!! It was good to see and talk to you and your family again. By the way, I love my shirt! haha. Well I got my first ride at Breezewood on my pass that i got from the time trials...we stopped on the way back from the quadfest...also thanks to Dan and Amanda!! :macho

Landon

Pappy
07-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by 450Rfutureracer
Thats my lil bro and one of my dads friends kid to the left haha i was the one limping around with the crutchs and huge cast i got a free HMF hat from that too. GREAT TIME

im pretty sure i gave those two boys some hats and stuff that HMF threw to me...they had already given me and my boys stuff so i wanted to make sure others got some as well:p

Dinner
07-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Those are sweet pictures, makes me really want to go next year. Maybe I will have to make it down there next year:devil:

Gray33
07-22-2007, 10:09 PM
alright is this place worth a 3 and half hour drive from ne ohio? and do you need a person who is over 18 with you beacuse me and my friends will bring our tralior nad our trucks and come down and ride for a week

TheBlasterMan
07-22-2007, 10:18 PM
man i wished i woulda went. I was going to but i had some issues involving bad depression and panic attacks.

Ghost-Rider
07-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by TheBlasterMan
bad depression and panic attacks.

Cheerful ....:ermm:

Hope your feeling better !

450Rfutureracer
07-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
im pretty sure i gave those two boys some hats and stuff that HMF threw to me...they had already given me and my boys stuff so i wanted to make sure others got some as well:p

yep thanks a lot

Barrymaxx
07-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Awesome pics pappy.

Ill post my pics when I get home.(of course they wont compare) It was a great time.

exrider272
07-23-2007, 11:53 AM
hey pappy were sorry about the drags.. we came a hour and a half and half way we got a flat tire so that put us at quadfest at like 12:30 and it was tuff gettin everything ready. but we had about 200 people enter and it was ruff tryin to make a braket for all 6 classes.thats what all the waiting was about.but i hope everyone had a goodtime. and in the drag pics u can c are 700R and are grizzly under the tent. and hopefully next year we can be alittle more ready lol

Pappy
07-23-2007, 02:30 PM
exrider272....no problem on my end. if my foot wasnt hurt i wouldnt have mided as i had a ball chatting with folks...right up to the point a lady stepped back onto my foot:p a few beers and a beach umbrella and a nice comfy chair would have been ideal:devil:

exrider272
07-23-2007, 02:54 PM
yeah thats what we all needed:D but i think next year were goin to run them again so maybe next year will be more organized and were get thought it faster :D

Barrymaxx
07-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Im entering the drags next year without a doubt!

Xater
07-23-2007, 05:15 PM
im going to try to get there next year. is the a website for this?

Barrymaxx
07-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Thequadfest2007.com

Xater
07-23-2007, 06:13 PM
it stinks that some one over 18 has to be with you.... w/ell just have to wait acouple of years, my parents dont have quads right now. and 15 mph limit on open trails my first gear probly goes 15 mph. w/e it looks like a blast and ill try to get down there one year.

Barrymaxx
07-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Rules rules rules. The 15 mph thing isnt really inforced. Just be cautious when going by other riders and by vendors and stuff. Out on the trails, its all fair game.

xater, I know u from somewhere. Were you on 2 stroke smoke?

Pappy
07-23-2007, 09:04 PM
LOL...Ryan hit 44 on his TRX90:devil:

QIKLTR
07-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the kind words Pappy. im sure Mike and Renae Fajbik at Instigator racing will be very happy to hear it. i cant believe how many tires we changed by hand. we also helped alot of guys with fixing their damaged quads. most of them my buddy and i did for free. i just wiish i hadnt blown up my LTR on Friday i would have had tons more fun.

Pappy
07-24-2007, 07:11 PM
No prob QIKLTR...you guys worked your butts off for sure!

Im at a loss on the drag race...I found a few on one camera but the others are gone:p

Crazy Diamond
07-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Hey QIKLTR, were you the one on the MX track that went sideways jumping the up hill? If so I was standing right on the side when you hit. Crazy Landing man! If that was you I have NO IDEA how you didn't roll!!!

QIKLTR
07-25-2007, 07:15 PM
no i didnt have any sideways landings it may have been my buddy who was also on an ltr. i didnt have time to really get ripping i made 2 practice laps then my engine let go.

05Z400rdr
07-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Crazy Diamond
Hey QIKLTR, were you the one on the MX track that went sideways jumping the up hill? If so I was standing right on the side when you hit. Crazy Landing man! If that was you I have NO IDEA how you didn't roll!!!

hahaha that was me man... i blew out both rear tires n broke my footpeg off n bent my nerfs n broke a bunch of other stuff. yeah...idk how i stayed on....but i did.. lol. we gotter all fixed up for time trials the next day :macho

i know who QIKLTR is now...he's the one who wouldnt sell me his nerfs off of his blown ltr.... hahaha!!

Landon

here's what we rigged up to get it back to the trailer...

NC_700R
07-26-2007, 02:43 AM
looks like ya'll had a blast

pro-rider46
07-26-2007, 03:26 AM
i saw that mosites motorsports was a preety big sponsor at quadfest. then realize oh yeah thats were i bought my quad

Pred_003
07-27-2007, 07:21 PM
A little late but have to say... Great coverage Pappy... Myself and one of my buddies drove 6Hrs from Upstate NY and had it not been for the hospitality of everyone involved and our camping Neighbors......we might not want to make the trip back next year.... BUT... we had a BLAST and cant wait for next year!!!! Great event and anyone who truly love to ride ATV'S this was heaven!!!

Honda5
07-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Well here are some pics from the motorcross track "the step-up" in the back. I tried it about 30 times and only cleared it 3 times! We had a great time and Honda5 won the obstacle course for the sport quads. But won it on his wife's 250ex! He didn't go out for the time trials.

Xater
07-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Barrymaxx

xater, I know u from somewhere. Were you on 2 stroke smoke?
planet blaster :macho

Honda5
07-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Honda5 jumping the step up on the motorcross track at Quad Fest.

05Z400rdr
07-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Honda5
Honda5 jumping the step up on the motorcross track at Quad Fest.

^^^^^^^^^ thats one of the 3 guys i was talking to after i had my little "mishap" on the step up...he was telling me bout how he got it 3 times. they were pretty kool people. is that the ltr with the tag bumper that i was talkin about there?

Pred_003
07-29-2007, 08:43 PM
I think that's a 450r with a Rossier pipe... And a TAG bumper... I could be wrong...

Honda5
07-30-2007, 04:21 AM
pred 003 your right thats the 450r the ltr was with me but he just got the quad and wasn't jumping too much. 05Z400rdr you did make a hell of a save on that jump.

Jgoad2
07-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Man that looks like alot of fun. I wish i would have known about it. Oh well there is always next year. I would also like to see something similar to this in WV. From the site it looks like they also got a good bit of money for the community.

jherbie28
07-31-2007, 03:33 PM
any more pics of the mx track? didnt hear good things:(

450Rfutureracer
07-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Jgoad2
Man that looks like alot of fun. I wish i would have known about it. Oh well there is always next year. I would also like to see something similar to this in WV. From the site it looks like they also got a good bit of money for the community.

dirt days aqt hatfield mccoy i think its kinda like it but no vendors

05Z400rdr
08-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by jherbie28
any more pics of the mx track? didnt hear good things:(

you dont wanna waste your time and come just to ride there mx track...trust me. i mean if your already there riding theire trails, you cant help but to hit it up.. but it is VERY rocky and rough, and not maintained. ill put 3 pics of me on that somebody took of me, but they aint good cuz they are scanned.. there is only a few jumps on the whole track, 2 tabletops, a double, an uphill, and a little downhill thing.

btw...saw you in dirtwheels Josh! :macho :cool:

here i am at the turn before the uphill..

05Z400rdr
08-01-2007, 04:18 PM
the downhill...

05Z400rdr
08-01-2007, 04:20 PM
the double...

n thats all the pics that i got :ermm:

Landon

wilfredin
08-05-2007, 02:35 PM
cool pictures