PDA

View Full Version : LTZ440 in DirtWheels

ccole400EX
10-24-2002, 02:54 AM
Have you all seen the test that they did with a 440ex and the 440Z? They said the EX was no match for the Z at all if you haven't seen it check it out.

bmf400ex
10-24-2002, 09:01 AM
i read it, very good read. i don't doubt it a bit. SUZUKI RULES!! :D

2 QuicK
10-26-2002, 10:35 AM
What issue was this in?? I missed it.:grr

Dave400ex
10-26-2002, 10:59 AM
It`s the new one. I like the 440ex. Very nice.

10-26-2002, 11:08 AM
i cant take this any more .u know what all i hear is how the z-400 owns the 400ex bla bbla bla bla and the worst part is... its true. they do kick the 400exs butt. in everything they own the 400ex. so u know what, screw honda. thats right i am sick and tired of their wating for everything. they put out good products but i am done with them. if they dont have somthing out by next year i am getten a c-dale end of story.or u know what?better yet i am getten a z-40o or a yamaha. the only way the would restore my faith is if the out somthing like a 250r out or a 440 that put somthing like 45+ ph out. but man i am really getten mad at them. and mad is an understatment

10-26-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by 2 QuicK
What issue was this in?? I missed it.:grr

December

ridinthedunes
10-26-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by hondaquadman
i cant take this any more .u know what all i hear is how the z-400 owns the 400ex bla bbla bla bla and the worst part is... its true. they do kick the 400exs butt. in everything they own the 400ex. so u know what, screw honda. thats right i am sick and tired of their wating for everything. they put out good products but i am done with them. if they dont have somthing out by next year i am getten a c-dale end of story.or u know what?better yet i am getten a z-40o or a yamaha. the only way the would restore my faith is if the out somthing like a 250r out or a 440 that put somthing like 45+ ph out. but man i am really getten mad at them. and mad is an understatment

I know, I was gonna build my 400ex but I'm not sure now.
Don't want to be getting beat by the other manufacturers
STOCK bikes.

Nausty
10-26-2002, 02:20 PM
lol yah sept hi torque publications are being paid off by suzuki:eek: I dragged a z400 and it was about half a bike lengtha ahead of me and they still don't handle as good. I'm not brand biast either, Only 2 of 7 bikes i've owned are honda's and if I were to do a motor swap it would be a yz450f motor.

Dave400ex
10-26-2002, 02:33 PM
Yeah Honda needs to get their heads out of their butts and do something. Only other Quad I would buy is a CDale. Man I like those.

400extracc
10-26-2002, 02:48 PM
boys, i have seen those new z400's in action, they are not much better then the 400ex. if you guys have read dirt wheels, they say the z400 is better then the c-dale and raptor!! bull $hit. i don't think so. ya it has a nice price tag, however, its not the best sport quad out there. the only difference i see in the z400 from the 400ex is cooling. that extra bit of power comes from the liqued cooled motor as per the 400ex air cooled motor. and if honda realy wants to make a quad that will smoke *****, and is still good for guys like me that ride for fun, build a crf450f quad.

what u boys think???

VegasEx'r
10-26-2002, 03:04 PM
I was at Dumont a couple of weeks ago, and there were a couple of z's there, but none of them would race. If they are such awesome quads, why won't the owners run up the hill with them? All that was out there were several ex's & Raptors, a couple of c-dales & the z400's, and we all know now (thaks to DW) that the z owns all of them, so why won't they go race??

But they do look prety cool just sitting there. :blah

400MXer
10-26-2002, 03:18 PM
Dirtwheels says that honda is releasing a new quad. their theory is that the frame with be a mix between the 250r and the 400ex. the motor will be a liquid cooled 450 with electric start. and it will have a race inspired long travel suspension.

They also say that Yamaha will be releasing a new quad based on the yzf450 motor.

ridered300
10-26-2002, 03:36 PM
I cant speak for the guys at Dumont, but maybe their quads werent broken in yet. I am always willing to race, even if I know Im gonna get beat. I beat a piped 400ex and lost to a 440ex. I also raced a Raptor but the guy sucked and killed it off the line, so that win doesnt count. The Z and 400ex are close enough that it comes down to the racer.

10-26-2002, 03:57 PM
i have a question for you ridered300. dw says(they say allot of crap) that the z400 is better powered than the 400 now from your experiance how much better is it. i would rather know from a owner that is truthfull than dw. btw thanks for not beeing an ***** hole even tho u have a z400. i know allot of people who own z and yamahas and are just jackassess.

matt

ridered300
10-26-2002, 04:58 PM
Well its not just Suzuki and Yami owners that can be JAs. Ive run into some honda ones too. Its the person, not the brand that makes them that way. But movin on... this is just my opinion but I did use to be a honda owner and really considered the 400ex when buyin a new one: there is a little more power in the Z, not a whole lot, but its noticeable. I also like the T seat alot, but some dont. I think the styling is much better and Im all for looking good, but again, some dont. I am a HUGE fan of reverse and its great to have, I also like bein the new kid on the block, there are 3 million 400exs around here. I also think the hop-up potential is better because of the liquid cooling. Well there you have it, thats just what I think, Feel free to ask whatever ?s you have and I'll answer them. Also when i beat the piped 400ex my bike was bone stock, only a week after I got it.

matt

Ricky g
10-26-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
It`s the new one. I like the 440ex. Very nice.

I would not trade my Honda 465ex for anything, put some mods on your ex and quit complaining. If your waiting for the factory to do it, it's going to be a long waite, aftermarket mods rule and always will.

Ricky g

TT 400ex
10-26-2002, 06:14 PM
i think your all wrong unless i read the article wrong they used a 12:5 to 1 piston in the z400 and a 11 to 1 in the honda. thay also used a works shock in the rear of the z400 and called the suspension a tie. so im not convience that the two quads where set up equal. send the ex to sparks and get their 440 and see whos faster

New-400ex_guy
10-27-2002, 07:35 AM
with equal kits the z400 will have more power, with its dual cams and liquid cooling its just a better more up to date motor than the ex. its no even fair to really compare them. there also different in the power the z is like a 2 stroke hit with lots of mid to top and the ex is a bottom to mid hit. the ex handles a little better but the z is alot more comfy and easier to throw around with that great seat design. i hope honda grows some ballz and comes out with a 36+ hp 450ex, that would be great and id own one :D

10-27-2002, 09:17 AM
Hopefully this will be the last z400 v/s 400ex thread :(

I have said this b4 but all zuki did was copy the ex frame and put a higher tech better designed motor in it.

Just think how much better your ex would build hp if it was liquid cooled and had dual overhead cams!

The potential for making hp is gonna favor the better motor period, and the z is no joke but isnt a killer macine any more than the ex is stock.

Both are well rounded excelent handling quads buy the zuki is more high tech in the motor and thats the only performance diff I can see and if I am wrong please post your thoughts etc.

Dirt liars is as believable as a bill clintons story about monica they just seem to have an agenda and are biased on way too many stories.

The 440 to 440 thing is a pos and as posted earlier the quads were not nearly equal. Its not even close to take the higher tech zuki motor and give it bigger cams and much higher compression than the older tech honda and then call it equal. So if there was a small diff with the results then it would be even smaller if the compression ratios were equal and I mean the real comp not just the advertized piston numbers cause they are not even close on the honda.

josh
10-27-2002, 10:27 AM
i'm gonna agree with you on that 440ex4me, all zuki really did do was perfect a quad, they put a high tech motor in the 400ex frame and suspension, and they put a high tech body that is designed after the raptor almost, i think it is almost perfect for a stocker, honda frame and susp, zuki high tech motor, and raptor looks, it's not all that diff from the ex besides the motor and the woopy it weighs 5 lbs. lighter dry weight, and i don't believe dirt wheels after that issue around april, with the supposedly 750ex tripple cylander that puts out 105 hp stock, o and then there was that crap about being able to order a suppercharged one:eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: , i can't say bull sh*t enough, that was there april fools joke to all there readers and after that i don't think i will believe any technical things about the new z vs. ex unless i see it in person, just cuz zuki is paying all the magazine's to say too much good sh*t about them doesn't mean it is all true, they are just advertising, enough said on the whole subject

New-400ex_guy
10-27-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by josh
i'm gonna agree with you on that 440ex4me, all zuki really did do was perfect a quad, they put a high tech motor in the 400ex frame and suspension, and they put a high tech body that is designed after the raptor almost, i think it is almost perfect for a stocker, honda frame and susp, zuki high tech motor, and raptor looks, it's not all that diff from the ex besides the motor and the woopy it weighs 5 lbs. lighter dry weight, and i don't believe dirt wheels after that issue around april, with the supposedly 750ex tripple cylander that puts out 105 hp stock, o and then there was that crap about being able to order a suppercharged one:eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: , i can't say bull sh*t enough, that was there april fools joke to all there readers and after that i don't think i will believe any technical things about the new z vs. ex unless i see it in person, just cuz zuki is paying all the magazine's to say too much good sh*t about them doesn't mean it is all true, they are just advertising, enough said on the whole subject

well you cant believe everything you read lol. ask z owners and most like me will say they love it. handles like a ex and faster than a stock raptor ( with pipe and airbox mods. ) i have both and i like the 400ex stock suspension better but i love the power of the z more and the seat design. the only thing i dont like is the swingarm design even though it looks bullet proof, it would of been better to use the round ex type design.

lets just hope that now the z has come out and is out selling the ex, honda will get off there arses and build us the 450ex.

RED121572
10-27-2002, 11:50 AM
With the following mods below, except for the valve job, I raced a stock Z400 in a drag race on pavement not long ago.

Mine was so much quicker out of the hole. Just out of the hole, i layed off the gas for a second in order for the other rider to catch up. We he did, both of us screamed down the road neck and neck. It was a great race. Whomever shifted at the right moment, would inch forward in front of the other. Its a kind of race that you just wanna keep doing over and over.

I will not buy another sport machine until Honda releases a new EX. For you dying Honda fans out there, just have a bit more patience and enjoy the machine you have now. :D

Ricky g
10-27-2002, 03:46 PM
Cause' when it comes to racin' it's all about the rider, a good rider will beat a faster machine, and 400ex's with all the mods smoke, excellent torque outta the hole and high top end, excellent handling, and what other quad has as many after market mods available? 250R? , Banshee? It's all about what you like, and I'm sticken with my Honda 465, if you get one modded right you won't want any other quad.

Ricky g

Bean
10-27-2002, 04:53 PM
i agree, its the rider, not the bike, btw, Z's, if you think about it, realy is not a brand new motor, the Mojave, which came out when the R was arouund still, has the exact same setup, dual cams, blah blah, so really its an overbored mojove with electric start, thats MO

beerock
10-27-2002, 05:05 PM
the motor in the Z came from the motorcycle....

just like the 400ex motor came from a bike.

MX26
10-27-2002, 06:58 PM
Can't we all just get along??? :confused: :rolleyes:

Maybe its because I haven't ridden/raced in a while, but really, who cares if the Z400 is faster or handles better? Instead of you guys worrying about getting beat, how bout you go to your local MX track and PRACTICE, or do some maintenece to your quad? There's no way a junked out 400 will hang with a new Z.

Maybe it's just the way I was taught to take care of my stuff, but one of my very biggest pet peeves(sp?) is listening to someone gripe about getting beat in an MX or drag race, then going over to their machine and see the chain have 2" of slack, or its so freakin dirty, you cant hardly tell what it is.

cheetah
10-27-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by MX26
Can't we all just get along??? :confused: :rolleyes:

Maybe its because I haven't ridden/raced in a while, but really, who cares if the Z400 is faster or handles better? Instead of you guys worrying about getting beat, how bout you go to your local MX track and PRACTICE, or do some maintenece to your quad? There's no way a junked out 400 will hang with a new Z.

Maybe it's just the way I was taught to take care of my stuff, but one of my very biggest pet peeves(sp?) is listening to someone gripe about getting beat in an MX or drag race, then going over to their machine and see the chain have 2" of slack, or its so freakin dirty, you cant hardly tell what it is.

You know, come to think about it, I probably would have won that race if my chain wasn't dragging the ground. Thanks MX26:D

10-28-2002, 04:08 PM
first of all mx26 we are discussing not griping. second of all if u dont likeit dont freeking read it. it is that easy.

MX26
10-28-2002, 04:43 PM
Well why worry about it? Who freakin cares if its faster. Speed isnt just the quad man.

10-28-2002, 06:29 PM
it all depends on the rider. i mean if tim far was riding a stock 400ex (or 300ex for that matter)and i was riding his 440 he would still kick my *****. it is just all rider. the z may have a better engine but it doesnt have the potential the the 400ex does. and that is what makes the 400ex great . it isnt very good stock but it has so many posibiltys and that is what makes it great. that is the grwat thing about quads they can be modifyed to fit your needs. maybe its just me but quads kick *****

New-400ex_guy
10-28-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by hondaquadman
. the z may have a better engine but it doesnt have the potential the the 400ex does. and that is what makes the 400ex great . it isnt very good stock but it has so many posibiltys and that is what makes it great. that is the grwat thing about quads they can be modifyed to fit your needs. maybe its just me but quads kick *****

hmmm id say it has the same potential its about the same design lol.

10-28-2002, 07:02 PM
yea well hay cut me some slack i am trying to figure out somthing that the 400ex has on the z

Davids440ex
10-28-2002, 11:31 PM
if the 440 ex is donbe right the 440z wont beat it.

MX26
10-29-2002, 11:47 AM
Oh, and by the way.. The Z400's engine is liquid cooled... So that allows it more mod capability.

MSL
10-29-2002, 12:08 PM
the z400 is a great machine but it will not beat a Raptor..and it does not have Raptor like power.. I have rode both and altho the Z400 is a great quad it doesnt live up to all the hype..

I have raced (Drag Race) several z400's at St Joes state park in Missouri with my 400ex and had no trouble beating them in a 300yd or more run..I know what all z400 owners are saying the riders on the Z's must have sucked...Maybe but i doubt that they all sucked... and my 400ex isnt stock though....

New-400ex_guy
10-29-2002, 12:51 PM
put a pipe and air filter on and it will have more than stock raptor power. :D

10-29-2002, 01:27 PM
i am not trying to argue . i would like to know how a engine that has liquid cooling would be better than a engine with air cooling. i dont understand. am i missing somthing simple??? this isnt sarcastic i just dont know

MSL
10-29-2002, 01:44 PM
i am not trying to argue . i would like to know how a engine that has liquid cooling would be better than a engine with air cooling. i dont understand. am i missing somthing simple??? this isnt sarcastic i just dont know

when a engine gets hot it expands and you loose compression
a loss of compression = loss of power.

a liquid cooled engine keeps engine cooler so it doesnt expand and loose as much compression when it gets hot.

if i am wrong someone please correct me

10-29-2002, 04:03 PM
Oh, and by the way.. The Z400's engine is liquid cooled... So that allows it more mod capability

i understand that it is better for that cooling purpos but what i ment to say ( my question was unclear) how is it better for moding? how does a liquid cooled engine have more moding potental than a air cooled engine does?????

MX26
10-29-2002, 06:10 PM
MSL wrapped it up pretty much. Its a general rule of thumb that the more your motor is modded, the hotter it runs. Take a stock 400EX versus a 440. The 440 has more to "sling" around inside there, so it will get warmer

. when a engine gets hot it expands and you loose compression
a loss of compression = loss of power.

a liquid cooled engine keeps engine cooler so it doesnt expand and loose as much compression when it gets hot.

10-30-2002, 03:39 PM
is it going to make a noticible difference in a 20 min mx race
?