PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Climbs you have found?

Chef
10-28-2001, 06:39 PM
Hey guys i was just wondering what the biggest climbs you guys have gone up/found at the varying big dune spots around the country. name the place and how tall you think the hill was and the name of it if there is one, like: Winchester Bay: Attitude Hill, 350 - 400FT, something like that

Deathbringer
10-29-2001, 01:30 PM
Yep that is the one that comes to mind. There is a hill climb at Winchester that is probably 350-400 from sea level up. I have pictures of it on my website if people want to look. Very very close second would be at hauser, same specs I think.

JabberJaw
10-29-2001, 02:00 PM
Does Rosanne count?

Chef
10-29-2001, 10:10 PM
jabber, you are one hilarious mofo, and death bringer, are you talking about iron man? or banshee hill? it has a few different names, is it right by the road kind of? i am talking about the one at winchester off the side of one of the fingers that has 10 or 15 turns at the bottom, then you pop out of the trees and hit it in 2nd on a banshee, my group and i named it Attitude hill, cause it didnt have a name

10-29-2001, 10:19 PM
There is a hill winchester bay that nobody was making up because of the sand was too deep, the sand would get caught in your chain. It the one that goes through the trees, you can see it when you drive in to the parking lot, it's on the left side.

Chef
10-29-2001, 10:22 PM
yes, that is iron man, and the last time i was there it wasnt even a problem, i could make it on a stock raptor without paddles every time. later in the day it got bad after it rained though cause it got severely rutted. that is probably my favorite hill

Deathbringer
10-29-2001, 10:23 PM
I have included a picture off the top of the hill... If you are heading in from the camp (Discovery Point) it would be to the left about a 1/2 mile or so in. Yeah it was a Banshee killer that day, we sat there and watched 2 banshee's try..key word, try...to make it up the hill and couldn't. Anyway when they left we climbed it no problem, well another dude came by on a Banshee and ask if there was anyone up there we said no go for it... His kid says very proud "he'll make it that bike has $6000 worth of mods on it" I said well lets watch...NOPE..didn't make it and he tried 5 times..finally on the 6th time he made it up... It was a killer that day. So when he left that is when my brother in law climbed it for the last time and flipped his quad over..hehe.

Check out my site for some pics.

www.members.home.net/400exatv

http://members.home.net/400exatv/MVC-002F1.JPG

JabberJaw
10-30-2001, 07:57 AM
Hey, you guys stop by! You don't live that far away.

beerock
10-30-2001, 10:09 AM
this hill is like the hill by my house, but this one is no where near as steep or as high.

the one by my area is about 15 stories high and is pretty much at a 70-85 degree angle.

LOOK AT NEW POST FOR PIC

Deathbringer
10-30-2001, 12:06 PM
Can't get anything to show the picture..give another link to it.

trx400ex
10-30-2001, 02:33 PM
how can sand be so steep, i dont understand why it wouldnt come down eventually be nothing

Deathbringer
10-30-2001, 02:41 PM
Wind wind and more wind. The dunes are always changing, building up and tearing down in some cases. The wind blows sand in and off the top of the dunes. The ocean you see in the picture plays a big part because the wind is always rolling in off the ocean and with it comes more sand. It doesn't sound like much but all day everyday, 24/7 it adds up. That is why when you ride them you always ride with caution at first till you learn them because they change all the time, razor backs rear their heads in different spots all the time... Hope that helps you.

JabberJaw
10-30-2001, 04:15 PM
When it's real windy, why do I hear whistling?

Deathbringer
10-30-2001, 04:28 PM
Only if I dont wear a jockstrap...oh god that was bad :(

beerock
10-30-2001, 04:50 PM
Ok, i found a better site to put that pic on, obviously the site it was on was slow here it is:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/bertha1.jpg

rhandw69
10-30-2001, 05:12 PM
Well i see im going to have to retire my time of going to sand lake and head further south to the bigger dunes. Im a hill climb attic, so i think winchester is where im heading come spring, unless i get some freak weather before then.
Beerock,,where are these hills at. They look rather fun.
SO of the two as far as wild hill climbs goes, which is better, florence, coos, or winchester????

Rhan

Chef
10-30-2001, 06:07 PM
winchester by far has the best i think, but the best ones are the ones you cant see by simply riding up to them, you have to get off and look down the hill into the trees :devil

Deathbringer
10-30-2001, 07:57 PM
If you come this way you can just spend the week riding all of them. Winchester, Hauser, Horsfall,Boxcar,Spinreel...they are all within about a 20-30 mile stretch...
Here is how the dunes break down, correct me hott440ex if I am wrong.

Winchester=Hill climbs and some good trails, wide open areas
Spinreel=Long trails, trails and more trails, wide open areas, along with 12 miles of beach riding
Hauser=Hill climbs and razor backs, nothing to speak of in trails
Horsfall=trails, small hill climbs
Boxcar=A small trail filled area near horsfall, small hill climbs

Hope that helps you in deciding where to ride first.
:D

beerock
10-30-2001, 09:57 PM
I want to plan a get together down the shore where I ride soem time before it gets to cold

Deathbringer
10-31-2001, 12:38 AM
Too late, we were there last weekend and it was already getting really cold then, and the damn rain is a bummer. I wouldn't be able to make another trip for about 3 weeks and arggg it will be freezing then. We usually try to make a trip early in the year around march-april. So maybe at that time I would be able to if you are still interested. Unless something weird happens and the weather turns around again..
Anyway take care, and I look forward to meeting you.

barbwire44
11-01-2001, 10:21 AM
Wellsville ohio has the biggest and steepest hills i have seen by far. alot of them were made with railbuggy's and dirtbikes but there are some atv's that have topped a few of them, not uncommon to see near 90 degree hills that are close to 75 feet in height.:devil

Deathbringer
11-01-2001, 10:27 AM
90 degrees???? hmmmm little steep I think, but the as far as 75 feet being high, that is not. Some of the little mole hills on the dunes are that high..

beerock
11-01-2001, 10:37 AM
its never to cold, just put on the snowboarding gear!!!
i should be going riding down there next weekend, my engine should be built by then!!

barbwire44
11-01-2001, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Deathbringer
90 degrees???? hmmmm little steep I think, but the as far as 75 feet being high, that is not. Some of the little mole hills on the dunes are that high..

Im not saying 75 feet is high for a hill, but at the degree these hills are sloped they are extremely high, I love to hillclimb and consider myself very experienced at it, and some of the hills in wellsville i wouldnt consider thinking about trying on the 400ex and did not attempt years ago on my 500 quadzilla with a 6" extended swingarm. But if you think you can top em i'll send you a map and gladly bring the camcorder to film the attempt..lol:devil

rhandw69
11-01-2001, 02:26 PM
http://ohiooffroad.virtualave.net/rides.htm#Wellsville

Here is some pics of this place i found on the internet.
Looks fun, but not overwhelmingly too large of hills.
Is there any other pics out there barbwire??
try this::
ohiooffroad.virtualave.net/rides.htm#Wellsville

11-01-2001, 05:52 PM
Well, I am heading down to little sahara utah this weekend and in the inside front cover of sand sports magazine, there is a picture of sand mountain. It is at little sahara utah and they say it is 750 ft to the top. I will find out this weekend. I can't wait.

I used to live in pheonix and go out to glamis and there were several hills that were probably 400 ft and up. this is a guess, they may be much higher than that. Glamis rules in my mind, but is a little too far.

Bat

Deathbringer
11-01-2001, 06:10 PM
Anybody got good pictures of Glamis?? I haven't road there yet and would love to make a trip....please make me drool.

barbwire44
11-02-2001, 06:31 AM
Ok i found some pics of wellsville here goes also another nickname is yellow creek.
www.dune-buggy.com/buggylinks/by_Location/Ohio/165.html

www.foxracing.com/where_to_ride/pages/yellowcreek.html

http://members.aol.com/ldboot/Wellsville1/

EXtreme-
11-02-2001, 07:48 PM
here's some pennsylvania hills (http://www.paatving.com/postcard.asp) for ya....check out the 330R mpeg!

out4sand
11-08-2001, 04:41 PM
Dethbringer - Have you ever tried the hill climbs along the tracks at Coos Bay, sort of around the corner from boxcar? I know that they aren't crazy but some of the ones in the trees are pretty nice and get a little sketchy at night.

The tallest/lagest dunes I have ever riden were in Idaho at St. Anthony's. That place is huge and the dunes are unreal!

Chef
11-08-2001, 05:48 PM
ive done those. once i was there and my bike died right on the tracks and wouldnt start for a couple minutes. we got a picture like i was staring at train like it was going to hit me, its actually kind of funny. are you talking about where there is like this little section and theres like a whole bunch of different ones in the same spot that like all connect? i found a way to do those that is pretty challenging, makes your quad want to wheelie. if you go clear to the right, go up till the other trail hits it, turn left, go along one trail right along the side of the hill, then turn right on teh next trail you can get on, it makes the bike want to wheelie, its pretty fun

Deathbringer
11-09-2001, 12:36 AM
Not sure exactly where you are talking about, but I will say this... I have riden everything I can find from Boxcar to winchester and everything inbetween.. So probably but wont make any bets..:)

WyoDuner
11-09-2001, 10:21 PM
I'd say that St. Anthony has the steepest hill around, Chokecherry. Little Sahara, Utah has sand mountain which on the left side is pretty steep but REAL long.

FlyinRed
11-09-2001, 10:23 PM
Ive been threw those. They cool

dune250r
11-10-2001, 12:55 AM
here is a picture of that famous hill in Winchester Oregon. It will give you an idea how big it is.

out4sand.tripod.com/images/Septs_pic_of_the_month.jpg

I will also agree with Wyoduner. St anthony has some of the tallest and steepest hills I have seen. The hill in Winchester is comparable but I would say it is harder because you have to manouver around trees.

Cut and paste the link into a web browser. For some reason it would not work as a hyperlink.

Deathbringer
11-10-2001, 09:11 AM
Yep thats the one...

Chef
11-10-2001, 10:39 AM
hey dune250R, when those pics were taken, was there another little trail on that hill to the right when you pop out the trees? cause when i was there last time, about a month ago, it was so opened up that a sandrail fit down it. i was there about 6 months ago this year and it was very tough, but now its just another hill....there is one that is as tall as that hill and loads tougher. it is in the last finger i think, the one with the dead trees, just past this picture i am uploading, it has a whole ton of turns at the bottom and then you come out of the trees for another 200 feet or so, its on the right side of the finger.

dune250r
11-10-2001, 12:55 PM
The picture in my previous post was taken a little over a year ago. There was only one way up the hill at that time. It way very hard to keep the front end down with a stock swingarm. You had to ride on the tank to makit without blowing over backwards. Its a shame that the hill has lost is glory now.

11-27-2001, 12:21 AM
standing in silver lake michigans parking lot and looking west theres a huge hill like 500 feet tall but i don't think anyone could ever climb it..it's steep as hell

Red Rooster
12-02-2001, 01:41 PM
I never tried to post a pic before but this is test hill in silver lake its more rutted up than it ushually is

Red Rooster
12-02-2001, 01:44 PM
Holy **** its kinda big. at least it worked

12-24-2001, 07:24 PM
anyone try Sand Mountain near Fallon Nevada??? Top of dune is almost 700 feet above the camp sites. Paddles make a major difference in just how far you can climb. Some parts are real steep!

check out sandmountain.com for a pix. like one giant razor back! awsome riding there. good desert riding in surrounding areas.

julie
oh - i have seen pix's of Glamis - much larger riding area but I think the dunes are not as tall.

400exUtah
01-08-2002, 01:18 PM
Those hills are like speed bumps compared to sand mountain Little Sahara Dunes in Utah, and of course St. Anthony Dunes in Idaho. Here is a pic of sand mountain Little Sahara dunes in Utah. It's a hugh rush to race up this baby:D

400exUtah
01-08-2002, 01:21 PM
I forgot to mention, that little spec at the bottom is one of those big garbage dumpsters. If you'd like to take a look at one of the Utah Little Sahara Dunes websites, check out www.planetsand.com

Chef
01-08-2002, 07:04 PM
How big are the garbage dumpsters would you say?...

400exUtah
01-09-2002, 08:41 AM
LOL:D The garbage dumpster is the double wide standard dumpster, probably 10x20. Big enough for me to sleep in:macho

FlyinRed
01-09-2002, 08:44 AM
Those sound like motels!:p

All these places look awsome. I think this spring we'll be headin to st anthoneys, coos bay, and maybe even glamis. These pics keep me dreamin, Thanks.