PDA

View Full Version : cam reliablity?

Crazy lil punk
07-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Does an aftermarket cam effect the reliablity of a 450r? With a slip on pipe and jet kit also?

TRX450RACER174
07-20-2007, 03:11 PM
I don't think so, it will actually wake it up with a cam.

CHEVYZ
07-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Not if it is installed correctly.

Crazy lil punk
07-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
Not if it is installed correctly.

How am I suppose to know that?

Is it better to buy a bike with no mods?

Here..Take a look at the quad..

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/378351703.html

CHEVYZ
07-20-2007, 03:52 PM
I guess that you wouldn't with a bike like that. I would hands down prefer to get a bike without any engine work that way I could do it myself and not have to second guess the bike's reliability. JMO.`

Crazy lil punk
07-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
I guess that you wouldn't with a bike like that. I would hands down prefer to get a bike without any engine work that way I could do it myself and not have to second guess the bike's reliability. JMO.`

Thats how I have always been, its just hard to pass up a quad that has all the mods you would do to it done already, lol

sandmanblue
07-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Crazy lil punk
Does an aftermarket cam effect the reliablity of a 450r? With a slip on pipe and jet kit also?

Depends on the cam. There's so many to choose from.

If you're talking about the HotCam Stage 2, it won't hurt a thing. Great cam for overall power.

Now stick some of the radical Web, Johnson or Megacycle cams in the motor and be prepared to do a lot more maintenance.

This is in regards to valvetrain reliability. If you start looking at th rest of the motor, the more you spin them, the higher the stress and the less reliable they get. Nature of the beast.