PDA

View Full Version : cam or revbox

exrider49
07-20-2007, 09:39 AM
which would i feel morer power from a hotcam or a programable revbox or spark enhancer..i am currently runnin a 416 kit but got a stock cam tho, i am runnin a fmf header with hmf exhaust and a pro design pro flow intake..i am leaning more towards a cam prlly a stage 2...give me ur opinions

davetheslave
07-20-2007, 09:52 AM
I would say cam. That would really wake up your big bore, and let it breathe

REDRIDDER
07-20-2007, 09:53 AM
THIS IS STRAIGHT FROM HOT CAMS INC........."1.For Model(s):
1999-2007 Honda TRX 400EX
1996-2004 Honda XR 400

Description:
TRX 400EX Stage 1: single-cam motor. Excellent midrange and top-end power increase. Not recommended for big bore applications over 426cc. Uses stock valve springs and rockers. *Does not use auto-decompression mechanism. Stock starter sufficient

2.For Model(s):
1996-2004 Honda XR 400

Description:
TRX 400EX Stage 2: single-cam motor. More top-end power than Stage 1 with midrange gain. Uses stock valve springs and rockers. *Does not use auto-decompression mechanism. Stock starter sufficient.

3.For Model(s):
1996-2004 Honda XR 400

Description:
TRX 400EX Stage 3: single-cam motor. More top-end power. Designed specifically for Hot Rods big bore stroker kit. Uses stock valve springs and rockers. *Does not use auto-decompression mechanism. Stock starter sufficient."

this should help you to decidevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvthat is with a whitebrothers R4 and 170 main jet with no air box lid,but i have one in mine and it was a wake up to my motor .

exrider49
07-20-2007, 09:55 AM
allrite thanks for the help im gonna go with the stage 1

GPracer2500
07-20-2007, 10:01 AM
REDRIDDER, I've got no problem with copy & pasting info from various websites. But you should make a habit of being clear about where the information you're posting is coming from. It's easy to link to websites or just say: Here's what it says on HotCams' [or where ever] website....

In this case it's pretty clear where all that came from. But I'm mentioning it only because I seem to recall a post or two in the past where I had no idea where you were getting the information.

Just my opinion.

REDRIDDER
07-20-2007, 10:24 AM
what does it matter were it comes from as long as you think its legit and usually i say were it came from i don't get your point,why does it matter to you I'm just curious,im just trying to help someone with out typing so much and its straight forward also if i post it everyone else can see it with out even leaving this site so whats your reason for questioning were i got it lol...

GPracer2500
07-20-2007, 10:48 AM
That's the thing--a big part of evaluating if something is legit is being able to judge the credibility of the source. If I don't know where something came from than I'm left wondering. Sources are important to me. For example, what if that information was coming from an engine tuner and third party retailer vs. the original manufacture. Would that matter? It might. In many cases it makes a huge difference.

Like I said, in this case it's no biggie. But if your goal is "....trying to help someone with out typing so much and its straight forward..." then I believe you'd be well served by explaining where you're getting your information. But more importantly, the people you're trying to help will be well served by knowing where the info came from.

If that's off-putting for some reason then sorry. I'm not trying to bust balls; just trying to offer a friendly suggestion that I think would make certain posts even better. :)

REDRIDDER
07-20-2007, 11:08 AM
I will admit at first i was like what the hell i was only tring to answer a question the easiest i could,but your right it is a little more assuring to know that the info i left just didn't come out of my butt so I'm sorry to come off like a rick GPracer2500.But i will continue to copy and paste lol.... i just find it easier sometimes instead of me trying to reword something.

vett_09
07-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Back to the main topic now... :)

I would tell you to go with the cam as well. You'll notice bigger gains with the cam then you would with the aftermarket CDI.

EX LONERIDER
07-20-2007, 03:23 PM
cam definately. then throw a timing advance key in it for 20 bux from sparks and it'll definately wake up the the bike. from what ive seen/heard a cdi box throws a diffrent ignition curve at the bike that makes it hard to start. (correct me if im wrong anyone) the advance key makes it easier to start and makes the bike alot snappier everywhere because of the advance. only downfall is it makes it run *slightly* warmer... but when i had mine, i put air scoops on it and ran just as cool as stock again if not cooler.

rooster300ex
07-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by exrider49
allrite thanks for the help im gonna go with the stage 1

The stage 2 doesn't say anything about not recommended for over 426cc or over big bores. I would go with the stage 2 for more power. It says it uses stock valve springs etc.

WeTDrEaM
07-21-2007, 01:38 PM
I have a good used hot cam cam and a white brothers cdi out of my 426 that I will sell. I'll take $125.00 plus shipping for both... Pm me.

1965 honda
07-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by WeTDrEaM
I have a good used hot cam cam and a white brothers cdi out of my 426 that I will sell. I'll take $125.00 plus shipping for both... Pm me.
good deal buy it. :huh

WeTDrEaM
07-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Why is that not a good deal. A stage 2 hot cam on ebay sells for 125.00 plus 7.00 for shipping by itself....

The cam is in great condition with very low hours as well as the cdi....