PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a Chinese made ATV?

jcv400ex
07-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Your choice is a Honda 300ex, Yamaha 350 Raptor or a Viper 300.

Viper 300 is made in China $2,788
Viper 300 (http://www.usaatvs.com/Detail.cfm?id=650)

Honda 300ex $4,999
300ex (http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/sport/model.asp?ModelName=TRX300EX&ModelYear=2008&ModelId=TRX300EX8)

Yamaha 350 Raptor $4,999
Raptor 350 (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/400/0/specs.aspx)

jcv400ex
07-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Viper

Pappy
07-20-2007, 06:55 AM
many of the Chinese made products are severly subpar. I follow several motorcycle tests on versions made from china (i.e. XR100 clone etc) and their tests have shown huge differnces in quality and reliability. Im sure its like anything else, good and bad etc.

Many if not all of the import mini atv's are made in china, including the Polaris 90 if I am not mistaken, and it is a solid mini, but more then likely held to higher standards then others.

Quad18star
07-20-2007, 07:12 AM
There's issues with a few of these import ATVs ... not long ago I read an article saying something about one of the brands having serious issues with the brakes not functioning properly.

Now that being said , if you do a little investigating before you buy , I think you can get yourself a decent ATV for a child.

A lot of parents can't picture themselves dishing out $5000 for an ATV that a child might grow out of in less than 2 years or get bored with . What these imports have done , is lower the cost for them and actually opened up the sport to more people. The major manufacturers need to lower their prices ...

u_want_some
07-20-2007, 07:26 AM
I am not sure if we are all talking about the same quads or not, but my vote is for the Honda 300EX...For Sure!! I have noticed alot of these imports being sold on the side of the road or on the internet for alot cheaper than it would cost to buy a good ATV. I have had a couple of friends buy these imports thinking that it would be cool, but within a couple of rides something goes wrong. If you browse through the forums you will see that there is quite a few people asking how to fix this or that or these particular models. Just my 2 cents

Magna1098
07-20-2007, 08:07 AM
I read a few bike magazines and the main problem with these chinese machines is once they break it is impossible to get parts for them. Before you buy one call the dealer and tell him you need a part and see what he says. (it's on back order most likely)

jcv400ex
07-20-2007, 09:11 AM
This is a heated debate here at work. We're starting a plant in China and they feel the China ATV MFG's will over take the North american/Japan manufactured vehicles and they'll drive the prices down on them also. I strongly disagree and told them I'm a member of the largest online forum for ATV's and I'll prove it to them.

The Chinese made units do not meet our emmission tests and replacement parts are a problem. The machines that due past emmisions, just don't seem to hold up. I wanted to see how many would buy a machine on price alone.

Another aspect that China has to overcome is brand loyalty. It may not be as strong as it was, but many of us started on a TRX90, went to a 250x, 300ex, 400ex, and now to a 450R.

I know the majority of the members have owned ATV's that where manufactured by the same company because of the way their original machine treated them.

born2ride14
07-20-2007, 09:20 AM
i thought 300exs were made in japan?

07-20-2007, 09:51 AM
He's saying would you buy a Chinese quad over a Jap quad like a 300ex.

DOHC
07-20-2007, 10:52 AM
I have worked on some of these chinese machines, there very hard to get parts for and everything is crap. In autoshop class me and my friend had to weld the rear shock mount on the swingarm and the metal they used was so thin we could hardly weld it with out burning through. And they dont seem very fun i passed one going down a dirt road in 3rd gear on my dads beat up xr 200 that smokes like a 2 stroke and the guy i passed was on a 400cc topped out. Is it just me or do the china brands copy also, that viper doesnt look like a predator :rolleyes:

250r4life
07-20-2007, 10:54 AM
not like a real quad no... but we have an army of pink chinese quads down at the dunes with us... all of my buddies bought there daughters little 90s or 125s for $400 out the door... they held up for one season without a problem... would i spend a lot of money on them- not a chance... but for $400 you cant go wrong...

Quad18star
07-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
90s or 125s for $400 out the door... they held up for one season without a problem... would i spend a lot of money on them- not a chance... but for $400 you cant go wrong...

Exactly.

You can't go wrong spending $400 on a quad , especially when your kid might outgrow it in a year . It's a hell of a lot better than spending $5000 and then trying to sell the quad ,because we all know the resale on kids quads ( any quad for that matter) is CRAP. It's better to buy a $400 and sell it for $300 the next year , than to buy a $5000 quad and sell it for $1200 the next summer.

My neighbour has a little chinese made quad for his young son and he's beat on it for the last 3 years now. Hasn't had any problems with it breaking so far. Good investment for the $800 that he paid .

BlaineKaiser450
07-20-2007, 11:24 AM
We did get an off brand for my little sister to learn on but shes almost too big for it now. Next up is a 250ex.

400exstud
07-20-2007, 01:13 PM
$5000 for a 300ex. You've got to be kidding me.

I was just at the Cat dealer and he quoted me $3700 on a new DVX (not sure on the year but that it irrelevant).

If your paying MSRP you need to get your head examined.

jcv400ex
07-20-2007, 09:12 PM
I agree on the 100cc and below market, you really can't go wrong with one of the Chinese made quads. It's tough to justify paying $1,900 for a "name brand" 50cc quad when you can get one out the door for less than half that. We know how fast they out grow them!

I think it may get somewhat interesting in 5 years or so. I think a few of the Chinese made quads may make a run in the full size quad class here in the states. If you could get a 450 sport quad for $3,000, and parts where available...it'd be a tough decision. I'd have a hard time spending $6,000 - $9,000 on something that I knew I was just going to go out and beat up pretty good.

07-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Would anyone buy a Chinese made car?

Honda400exrox
07-20-2007, 10:54 PM
They are fun as hell to piss around on, but they are garbage. My little bros friend has one, n its never startin, well after 150 kicks from going through a puddle. And the battery dieing, so he toed him home on his 400ex, through a bumpy feild in 4th, n took every bearing out of it, lmao.

Outlaw 50
07-21-2007, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
Viper

http://i16.tinypic.com/4uc8xn4.jpg

That thing is nothing but a rip off of the Polaris Predator...........P.O.S.

eff the freakin' chinese, they're a bunch of heathens.
Oh yeah, I'm hatin' on them big time. They make junk and sell it here in America to people who don't realize where the money goes. The Communist government in china controls EVERYTHING in that country.

They peddle their goods and take the money and build up their military. So they kill 2 birds with one stone. They take money OUT of our economy AND work towards gaining super power status in the world.

Bunch of thugs!!!!!

<DRS>GPF
07-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Outlaw 50

They make junk and sell it here in America to people who don't realize where the money goes. The Communist government in china controls EVERYTHING in that country.

They peddle their goods and take the money and build up their military. So they kill 2 birds with one stone. They take money OUT of our economy AND work towards gaining super power status in the world.

Bunch of thugs!!!!!

exactly!!
excluding saudi arabia, theyre a bigger threat to the US than anything in the middle east.

noone in power will say anything, because itll hit them in their wallet too hard.(big business has no loyalty to the US)

07-21-2007, 07:51 AM

They make junk and sell it here in America to people who don't realize where the money goes. The Communist government in china controls EVERYTHING in that country.

Bunch of thugs!!!!!

exactly!!
excluding saudi arabia, theyre a bigger threat to the US than anything in the middle east.

noone in power will say anything, because itll hit them in their wallet too hard.(big business has no loyalty to the US)

too funny, i said that in another thread a while back and everyone like pappy was saying i was a communist...im just being realistic. China is well on their way to becoming a world super power, and this country is falling HARD! But back to the quad topic. I prolyl wouldnt buy one. But then again ill never buy another new quad, just used 2 strokers for me

Quad18star
07-21-2007, 08:45 AM

Bunch of thugs!!!!!

Funny thing is .... 95% of the stuff around your house probably has a " Made in China" tag attatched to it.

deathman53
07-21-2007, 05:42 PM
my friend worked on a few of the xr50 copies, the guy told him that xr50 parts fit, none of them did. My friend took what he needed apart, ordered xr50 parts, none of them fit. He called the company that made it, trying to get parts, they gave him a run-around. In the end he gave it back to the guy and told him "I never want to see another chineese dirtbike/quad, they are junk and immpossible to get parts for". A few weeks later some people called with work on some xr100 copies and some quad, he turned them all down, he told them, he won't work on a bike he can't get parts for. Sure, they may look just like a honda, but are far infererior and no matter what they say, honda parts don't fit them, even though the buyer is told that.

MERC
07-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Is it me or does that thing sit high
"ready flip":D

Anvil
07-23-2007, 12:42 AM
<DRS>GPF wrote:

Bunch of thugs!!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

exactly!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly the biggest threat to America is your insatiable appetite for consuming, just look at all that stuff on the shelves at Walmart, made in China and people can't get thier credit cards out fast enough, its sad very sad.

Back to the quads, I have a Chinese knock off of the predator, good entry level , but cheap literally you get what you pay for. I am happy with it, but wont buy another chinese quad, they will be throw away/

Outlaw 50
07-23-2007, 05:17 AM
Anvil said:

"Honestly the biggest threat to America is your insatiable appetite for consuming, just look at all that stuff on the shelves at Walmart, made in China and people can't get thier credit cards out fast enough, its sad very sad."

Our insatiable appetite for consuming is what drives the WORLD economy and causes people all over it to live better lives as a result.

As far as Wal-Mart goes, most people who shop at their stores pay with CASH. They perform a good service in our country by making goods available to a lot of lower income people in our society.

Anvil
07-23-2007, 06:58 AM
outlaw 50 wrote:
Our insatiable appetite for consuming is what drives the WORLD economy and causes people all over it to live better lives as a result.

As far as Wal-Mart goes, most people who shop at their stores pay with CASH. They perform a good service in our country by making goods available to a lot of lower income people in our society.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The down side of all that cheap goods consumption is that your manufacturing is moving to third world country's to remain competitive costing you jobs and ultimately lowering your own standard of living. Your balance of trade is already in China's favour.

Having said that, it's a similar story here.

400exrider707
07-23-2007, 07:34 AM
This is getting out of hand already...

back to topic...

NO way would I ever buy oen of those quads. EVER. I dont really care how cheap it is, its not worth the headaches.

On another note, I would say that they will still probably sell some of those quads, only because there are a lot of people who dont know what they're buying, these are the people who dont know how to put air in a tire... asking this kind of question on an atv forum, where most of us do our own work and know whats going on with quality, will give you the same answer, no I wouldn't buy one.

jcv400ex
07-23-2007, 07:53 AM
I agree with you, if someone does their homework and does some research, I don't see alot of these being sold until the network of support is there.

u_want_some
07-23-2007, 08:14 AM
jvc400....These things are being sold like hotcakes!! Take a look at the ones on Ebay. Where I live people have a lot of them sitting next to the road and one day there will be 10-15 of them and the next day there will only be 4-5. People are purchasing them becasue of the cheap price and "lying" salesman. The other thing they dont know is that the parts are made extremly cheap and you will have to replace them soon, very soon. No need to say anymore

DVXracer
07-23-2007, 09:14 AM
http://i16.tinypic.com/4uc8xn4.jpg

That thing is nothing but a rip off of the Polaris Predator...........P.O.S.

Its got the Predator frame but 300ex motor.
:huh

07-23-2007, 04:45 PM
id never buy a new quad, ever...but for a lil kid that might not like riding, sure why not?? and if he/she does really like riding then you can always get a "better" quad later on...

N300exJ
07-23-2007, 06:12 PM
If i was buying a quad for someone who was just starting to learn i wouldnt get them something brand new thats just stupid. You could easily get a used older 300ex for wayyyyy less than 2700. For example there was someone near me selling an 02 300ex for 2100. It was all stock and the cleanest thing i have ever seen. Had hardly even a scratch on it. Cheaper and 10 times more reliable than that chinese garbage. Do your home work and shop around for a used quad and youll save lots of money in the long run.

Kaleigh
07-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Funny thing is .... 95% of the stuff around your house probably has a " Made in China" tag attatched to it.

thats cause everyone to cheap to buy stuff thats made in the US.. everyone compains about the ecomony but does nothing to help it..

u_want_some
07-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Ok you guys will not belive this.......The dealerships that I have previously been speaking about in this thread has a new product with a big sign, well it's a riding lawnmower that looks just like one of the 4 wheelers they have with a full plastic enclosure. I wish I had my camera, but I will get you some pics. This is the funniest looking thing I have ever seen. (Do they have grass in China)

kwik02gixxer
07-24-2007, 04:24 PM
well i bought my youngest son one last year it was $899 out the door its a 150cc fully auto forward and reverse for a young kid that just plays around on it its ok he loves it, but for a adult buy the 300ex on the china you have to go over all the bolts after a couple hours and retighten them but its ok for a kid

Anvil
07-24-2007, 07:44 PM
This is a 90, it gets a rough time and so far is doing ok, I'm not expecting it to last forever, but having owned one I will be in a position to comment.

jcv400ex
07-25-2007, 05:40 AM
I'd buy a kids model in a heartbeat. Honda, Suzuki, Polaris and Kawi are over priced on their youth models, in my opinion. They only ride them for so long, then you can't get crap for the used quad. Might as well pay half for a new Chinese one, and get out of whatever you can in the end, you still make out.

Kaleigh
07-25-2007, 01:22 PM
I personally think they made those for less then average person to get out and ride.. knowing that they dont really ride hard or to fast.. kinda like the equivalent of a compact car.. someone that wants something to get around on.. Im sure if someone didnt abuse them they would hold up great for a long time..

u_want_some
07-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Anvil....Is that you in that picture ^^^^^?? I am really suprised that the welds held up during that jump. Not trying to offend you but I stopped and looked at these atv's this afternoon and 1 thing that I noticed is that some of the welds do not look so good. I noticed one between the motor mounts and the A-arms that appeared to only be spot welded. Just thought that I would add an additional comment!!

For someone that is not going to do any hard riding, and just be cruising around I would recommened a China made bike. Not saying that I would ever buy one. I perfer to have a Honda over anything, mainly for reliability purposes.

Anvil
07-25-2007, 08:01 PM
u_want_some wrote: Anvil....Is that you in that picture ^^^^^?? I am really suprised that the welds held up during that jump.

Ah no! that wasnt me, that was a 10 year old.

Here is my logic:

The boy had never ridden quads before, I didn't know if he would stay interested in riding or even like riding. That quad is a 95% knock off of the 05 Predator 90, only substantial difference was no reverse and marginally narrower track, almost no difference when riding the 2, I prefer the wider track of the predator, clearly the predator is better product

I could buy that bike for half of what it was going to cost me for a used kids quad and it had a 6 month warranty.

Nearly 12 months on and it's going strong, lots of kids jumps like in the photo, and lots of riding with 2 people on it 100kg, I have done nothing to it other than fuel and oil, oh I replaced an exhaust bolt that dropped off.

As it is the 10 year old is getting hungry for more power to climb bigger dunes and follow the rest of the crew, it has served the purpose that I bought it 4.