PDA

View Full Version : Post Pictures of Your Oil Coolers!!!

EX LONERIDER
07-19-2007, 03:21 PM
wanna see what evryone is doing as far as oil coolers. how/where you mount em, what type... and so on. i bought a super sized oil cooler myself but kinda whent overboard on the size and now i cant figure out how in the hell to mount it without blocking all the air to my bike.... so im thinking about going with another one half the size like a tranny cooler similar to the stock one (flat passes).... dunno... maybe ill end up with a CBR 1000 oil cooler i havent decided yet.

so common guys, if you would. post your pictures up of what you have.

j450rking
07-19-2007, 08:29 PM
first off i would like to say that this needs to be a sticky!

and here is my cbr 1100 oil cooler right now i just have it zip tied but i am going to make a bracket

j450rking
07-19-2007, 08:32 PM
here is the only mod i had to do

i'll get a pic of it with plastic and stuff on a sunny day

EX LONERIDER
07-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by j450rking
first off i would like to say that this needs to be a sticky!

and here is my cbr 1100 oil cooler right now i just have it zip tied but i am going to make a bracket

we need to get a hold of one of the Mod's and tell em about these threads. i know alot of the stuff ive asked or posted has had alot of decent replies that could be very helpful being at the top like the 450R carb and such. these are REALLY common questions. ill get the list of threads and see if i cant get that done.

back on topic... i was looking at yours and the only thing i see is that mounted up there there is a limited amount of space.... the cbr cooler fits pretty good but otherwise has no more room for a bigger cooler. i know ive seen sommeone mount a trans type cooler up front but dont remember where ive seen it. i aslo wanna see what other people have come up with.

i know i saw a thread somewhere on a racers quad that had a radiator sized oil cooler up front near the nose of the bike but now i cant find it.... :ermm:

j450rking
07-19-2007, 09:06 PM
they mount them to the front down bars on the frame but then you can't use a stick style steering stablizer

davetheslave
07-20-2007, 08:42 AM
2000 toyota tundra Transmission cooler on mine. even bolts to stock mounts on frame.

davetheslave
07-20-2007, 08:43 AM

davetheslave
07-20-2007, 08:44 AM

davetheslave
07-20-2007, 08:44 AM

vett_09
07-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by davetheslave
2000 toyota tundra Transmission cooler on mine. even bolts to stock mounts on frame.

That looks pretty good. What made you try a truck trans cooler?

davetheslave
07-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Well I went for the CBR cooler, got it off ebay and it was smaller than my stock one:scary: So I went out back (I work at a salvage yard). And saw this tundra one, and it looked like it was the perfect size, and it was. The only down fall is having to run regular hoses with hose clamps. Works good, just looks stupid in my opinion.

What years do you need for the CBR coolers? Theres obviously differences between years.

EX LONERIDER
07-20-2007, 10:36 AM
the tundra dont look half bad (size wise) but it looks like it could be mounted better elsewhere like on the down rail near the front of the bike instead of so close to the header.

davetheslave
07-20-2007, 11:01 AM
yeah that is a porblem I noticed. I would have to mount it on the front of the bike to make it fit though. Cant go any lower where its at cause it either hits the oil tank, or blocks off the dipstick.

j450rking
07-20-2007, 11:21 AM
my cbr 1100 oil cooler is off a 98 or a 96 black hawk cbr 1100 but i know i have seen oil coolers from plane cbr1100's that are the same as mine.

that tundra cooler is a bit big for my taste but i think if you are not running a steering stablizer then put it up front on the down pipes and it would look better there

apachepride
12-22-2008, 10:07 PM
so does it matter what year as long as its a 1100 right i think the 1000 smaller than the 1100

ae13291
12-23-2008, 01:12 AM
you guys do know that transmission fluid is alot thinner on cars then engine oil? if u look at an engine oil cooler and transmission cooler it is obvious that the engine oil cooler has much bigger and higher flowing tubes. if u use a trany cooler for the 400ex engine oil cooler you will have more added pressure on the pump and it could possibly fail on you

sc400ex_rider
12-23-2008, 10:41 AM
I was looking into this but ended up putting a fan on my stock cooler. this works great, no heat fade or spark knock since i installed it. this works really well for the 99-04 models cause the cooler is mounted up hi and the hood comes down so far. it just needed a little help to draw some air across it. this is a dell server fan 92MMx38MM. not the reg pc power supply fan
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011158.jpghttp://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011148.jpg

buck440
12-23-2008, 10:55 AM
i've been wanting to put a bmw tranny cooler they have on ebay and get rid of the old one but was wondering what about oil pressure? need i be concerned?

frank_claytor
12-23-2008, 11:23 AM
how did u wire that fan up

hypersnyper6947
12-23-2008, 11:36 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/exriders/IM000574.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/exriders/IM000575.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/exriders/IM000577.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/exriders/IM000578.jpg

This is my spal 4" puller

ae13291
12-23-2008, 11:47 PM
lol are those fans really gonna last in the mud?

78ta
12-24-2008, 12:29 AM
lol are those fans really gonna last in the mud?

the spal will, they sell motorcycle/atv specific fans, there are tons of threads on this!!! search function is a wonderful thing!!!

the computer one won't last very long

ae13291
12-24-2008, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by 78ta
the spal will, they sell motorcycle/atv specific fans, there are tons of threads on this!!! search function is a wonderful thing!!!

the computer one won't last very long

sure is beautiful. i have not seen factory atv fans that small tho. i know the ones that are meant to put on atv's are pretty bullet proof but where can i find one that size?

12-24-2008, 02:53 AM
I at one time had a fan on my oil cooler. Fan oil coolers do nothing. Once your going 5-10mph the fan cant move enough air to be doing any good at less itsa radiator fan on your oil cooler.

This is what I did with my 400ex/yz hybrid.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/getdrunk1990/4wheeler164.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd127/blue450yo/quad/4wheeler224.jpg

sc400ex_rider
12-24-2008, 09:12 AM
I dont ride mud, i take care of my stuff and for 10 bucks shipped you cant beat it. the 4 inch spal is 60$ so i can replace this one 5 times!!!! this fan does alot of good at any speed cause the cooler is mounted so high. it also blows on the top of the motor to push the heat away. I dont have 15 g's in my quad like alot of people. LOL my 02 still looks sweet.
P.S. nice tin shed
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4010789.jpg

rcatvrider
12-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by ltr450fly
I at one time had a fan on my oil cooler. Fan oil coolers do nothing. Once your going 5-10mph the fan cant move enough air to be doing any good at less itsa radiator fan on your oil cooler.

That's what i was thinking. Those fans don't move much air, and you're blowing hot air from the motor onto the oil cooler so how does that do any good? And it's only blowing on one spot on the cooler, I can't see how that would help much.

sc400ex_rider
12-24-2008, 09:37 AM
if you have no experiece with these fans then you dont know what your talking about. these fans are very powerful if you hook them to power they will take off on the bench. the spal specs out at 118 cfm and mine is like 111 cfm 5500 rpm and 1.1 amp draw, perfect for my application. also the fan overlaps the cooler so its drawing in cool air and sending it to the motor. yes at WFO the cooler might get some air but when you slow down and putt is when you get heat soak because hot oil is still going to the cooler with no airflow. :rolleyes:

hypersnyper6947
12-24-2008, 12:09 PM
The spal moves a lot of air, you can feel it standing behind the quad. Plus mine is on a toggle so i can turn it on and off whenever i want.

rcatvrider
12-24-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm still not completely convinced. I have some experience with those fans, own a couple but have only used them on lower voltage. In hot weather they will still be blowing hot air. I think i would opt for a larger oil cooler instead of a fan, but that's just me.

NacsMXer
12-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
I'm still not completely convinced. I have some experience with those fans, own a couple but have only used them on lower voltage. In hot weather they will still be blowing hot air. I think i would opt for a larger oil cooler instead of a fan, but that's just me.

You have to think about it this way. An oil cooler is simply a heat exchanger. Anytime air is flowing across it, it will transfer heat energy from the oil into the air....thus cooling the oil. In hot weather it will still be exchanging heat into the air. The only time it would not exchange heat would be if the air was equal to, or greater than the temperature than the oil. That is not very likely at all with oil temps at 200+. I personally run just a larger cooler on mine, but the fans do help a lot.

2muchquad
12-24-2008, 09:52 PM
dont have 15 g's in my quad like alot of people. LOL my 02 still looks sweet.nice tin shed

These fans will help a GREAT deal,i had one on my 300ex with the 385kit and it ran hot..until i added a oil cooler and fan.I have one on my 400 as well,to the naysayers,if you dont want to run one then dont,these are the people that think high oil temps are good for the rockers..:rolleyes:

apachepride
12-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by apachepride
so does it matter what year as long as its a 1100 right i think the 1000 smaller than the 1100 anybody please im looking at doing the bigger cooler just need to know if it can come from any 1100 does it have to be a cbr or will a cb work plese HELP my new 440 kit will be here tue and i want it here or on its way here when i start the build

sc400ex_rider
12-25-2008, 07:39 AM
well if you put a fan on it you wont have to worry about oil leaks or flow problems. you wont have to bend your oil lines or have to rig up some copper tubing. i love my quad to and only want the best for it. once again these fans help alot. they should have come with them stock. if you have any mods you def need one. if your going 440 just a cooler might not be enough. the 440 kit brings alot of heat thats why i didnt do it they all run hot. unless you get the cooler that mounts low by the steering stem and bypasses the cylinder. do whatever you want you can always add a fan later no prob. as far as stock bike coolers the only one that remotely fits is the cbr1100 blackbird. it has the same kind of oil connections and you only have to bend the lines some to get them to line up. these rarely come up on ebay. all the other makes have different oil connections so you will have to hack and mod to make them work. i looked into this extensively cause my quad was almost unrideable after 20 minutes. im just trying to tell you the easiest way to go. good luck

rcatvrider
12-25-2008, 01:27 PM
I was running heavier oil in the summer on a stock ex last summer and in hot weather there was some obvious heat fade even with the thicker oil. I now have mods so I will see how it runs this summer.I'll consider trying one out for kicks if it's running hot and see what happens.

adawg89
01-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Bump since I'm looking at bigger oil cooler.

Pipeless416
01-09-2009, 12:08 AM
here ya go, this is my new four stroke tech cooler. this is in conjunction with the stock oil cooler, so i still have that. basically, oil comes out of the bottom end, goes into this cooler, and goes back into the top end.

Pipeless416
01-09-2009, 12:10 AM
here you can see the lines. the one in the bottom end comes from right behind the clutch cable mount. my quads usually not this dirty :p

adawg89
01-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
here you can see the lines. the one in the bottom end comes from right behind the clutch cable mount. my quads usually not this dirty :p

So you have dual oil coolers?

Pipeless416
01-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by adawg89
So you have dual oil coolers?

yes, though the stock one seems insignificant compared to the FST. its nice having cool oil fed to the top end.

adawg89
01-09-2009, 09:33 AM
yes, though the stock one seems insignificant compared to the FST. its nice having cool oil fed to the top end.

Do you need to mod it to cool the top end? I don't remember seeing a line at the top like in the pic.

Pipeless416
01-09-2009, 11:39 AM
yes, you need to tap into the clutch cover.. theres an oil line that feeds into the top end there that just runs on the inside of the head.. sooo, you need to tap into that line, block the other side of it so oil is diverted into the cooler, and tap back into the valve cover. its kind of involved..

adawg89
01-09-2009, 09:32 PM
yes, you need to tap into the clutch cover.. theres an oil line that feeds into the top end there that just runs on the inside of the head.. sooo, you need to tap into that line, block the other side of it so oil is diverted into the cooler, and tap back into the valve cover. its kind of involved..

Oh ok thanks.

anyone else have any oil cooler pics.

sprayedgt
01-10-2009, 05:33 AM
Just wondering with all the trouble of mounting a bigger oil cooler if anyone has tried using the stock cooler but coating it with heat dispersant? I've used it in drag/road racing applications on the radiator, upper and lower intake, and alternator on Mustangs and it worked great.

sc400ex_rider
01-10-2009, 06:09 AM
i've never seen it. do you have a pic? who makes it? is it like in a spray can? i put a little fan on mine and it cured all my problems. the fst bypass system is sweet though. also you got to keep the cooler clean i cant count how many times i seen them packed with mud. also seen many 450r radiators clogged with mud then they wonder why there motor blew up. :rolleyes:

P.S. S.C. RULZ

sprayedgt
01-10-2009, 12:43 PM
It does spray on but it has to be baked in an oven for a little while. Don't confuse it with high temp paint although it looks similar when cured. This will greatly increase the amount of heat transfer of whatever it's applied to. Most places that do powder and performance coatings will be able to do this and should know exactly what you're talking about. I tried this stuff on my Mustang along with dry film lubricants on the bearings and piston skirt, and a thermal barrier on the piston top. All this stuff works together to not only free up hp but add to the durability of the engine. The cooling affect of applying it to my Griffin alum radiator was about 20 degrees. I've also used it on brake calipers in road racing application.