PDA

View Full Version : 450r jetting question *****help*****

creampuff
07-19-2007, 07:41 AM
I am about to put a motor in my 05 honda 450r. I am also putting a sparks exhaust, and the hrc kit on it. I was wondering what to jst the carb at. I think it will be to lean if I leave the factory jets in there. Also will it hurt to ride it with the hrc cam and the stock exhaust? The reason I ask is because the motor will be here 3 or 4 days before the sparks. And I am ready to ride.

pro-rider46
07-19-2007, 11:57 AM
well if you going to ride with the hrc cam and stock exhaust and air box lid on your fine with stock jets. but when you get the sparks pipe put a 185 main jet and hrc needle on the 3rd clip. also remove the air box lid

creampuff
07-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Ok thanks for the help. Sorry for being stupid but what do you mean by the hrc needle? What is it? I am getting this engine off a guy on this board and putting straight in my bike. It has the hrc cam in it. So I was just needing all the little details I might not know. Thanks again

TRX450RACER174
07-19-2007, 06:38 PM
If it already has a cam in it chances are it is jetted, but for your own info i would take the carb off of the motor while it is out and just see what jets are in it, that way when you put the pipe on and get it all running you can make changes and you already have a sense for what jets are in it already and you not back pedeling to correct it. just my 2cents

creampuff
07-23-2007, 09:43 PM
I got the bike running tonight, but it would not run. It had a 118 main jet in it. We put a 160 main jet and it helped out alot. These are the mods right now.
hrc cam
k&n filter
stock exhaust
160 main
Tomorrow the curtis sparks exhaust should be here. I think I need to go up a few more sizes on the jet. What do you all think? I also got beat by some yamaha 450s in a 200 yard drag race. Will the full sparks exhaust help?

TRX450RACER174
07-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Most of the guys that are running that year of motor are running in the high 170s to 180s with those mods, start with what Sparks says and use that as a base then work from there.