PDA

View Full Version : pulse generator tests w/ resistance off the charts??

Lateralus
07-19-2007, 01:06 AM
Just bought a 250R a couple weeks ago. Went to the dunes and road for 1-2 hours but noticed almost no low end power. Would take a second or two to get any power / hit the power band, even in first gear. This started getting more pronounced and then I couldn't keep the bike running without revving it and tried to make it back but it died and couldn't start it again. Does this sound like a stator going out? I hate to buy one if that's not it.

I went through the Clymer (and for good measure just bought the Honda service manual on eBay) and did all of the electrical system tests. Everything in there checked out until I got to the pulse generator, the last thing to check. Normal resistance is 50-200. I'm reading in the thousands or tens of thousands of Ohms. I don't recall exactly, just that it was off the scale. I am unfamiliar with how electronics work but would have expected 0 from a dead part rather than 1000X more resistance than the spec??

The Clymer says the stator and CDI must be "replaced as a unit". That doesn't make any sense to me; it seems it could be one OR the other, or perhaps both, but not necessarily both. (?)

TIA -- Just want to be sure I've done all possible diagnostics before I plunk down the money for a part or parts that might not be the problem.

GPracer2500
07-19-2007, 10:20 AM
--When it wouldn't start again was the plug sparking?

--What mods does it have?

--Have you checked the compression?

--Have you checked the ignition timing with a timing light?

Lateralus
07-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
--When it wouldn't start again was the plug sparking?

No - we tried it with a new plug as well and I kicked it as fast as I could and zero spark.

--What mods does it have?

All stock except for an FMF pipe and fatboy exhaust.

--Have you checked the compression?

--Have you checked the ignition timing with a timing light? [/B]

Actually no, I've checked neither. I still need to get a compression tester and timing light.

mxduner
07-19-2007, 12:55 PM
If you know you made good connections with the test leads to the pulse then yes the reading you have would indicate a bad pulse genarater.with the reading you are getting it indicates a slight break in the coil in the pulse.

Lateralus
07-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by mxduner If you know you made good connections with the test leads to the pulse then yes the reading you have would indicate a bad pulse genarater.

Actually I made a mistake when testing the pulse generator and tested the wires going to the CDI instead of the stator. (It was late, I was tired, what can I say LOL) The pulse generator tested fine.

I know by process of elimination I am now looking at the CDI as the only culprit. Do CDI units go out all at once? I gradually lost power over the course of about 1.5 hours and then could stay running only by revving the engine.

I'm ready to buy a new CDI but going to give the wiring harness a very careful inspection first.

mxduner
07-21-2007, 11:45 AM
cdis for this machine are known to go bad alot

Lateralus
07-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
cdis for this machine are known to go bad alot

How good / reliable is the DynaTek compared to the stock unit? Talking about the $80 DynaTek. I saw the $300 one but that's probably a lot more CDI than I need at this time LOL.

I've read that the combination of the DynaTek with a good aftermarket coil can dramatically improve the spark over stock.

mxduner
07-22-2007, 09:37 PM
thats the route i am gonna go. sounds to be the way to go with a limited budget

kiesta00
07-24-2007, 09:47 PM
I love my dyna, I haven't made a clean pass with the alcohol setup yet, but it sure starts a LOT easier and revs out without breaking up.