PDA

View Full Version : Stock Shock Conversions

ride_red_ex
07-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Alright guys, I have a 04 trx450r and I am ready to make upgrades to the suspension. I need to know the good and bad of stock shock conversions. I prefer this route over aftermarket to save a lil cash for a-arms in the future. I want to convert the fronts to dual rate with respring and revalve, rear respring and revalve with a new xc link. Also the extended travel mod seems typical but i am unsure about increased flow to the shock piston. I am bouncing between derisi and gt thunder and would even consider c&d. Any big differences between these guys or are they pretty much doing the same things. let me know what you guys think and your experience with these conversion kits. I intend to trail ride and race xc. thanks

07-18-2007, 03:46 PM
they are all pretty much doing the same things, excepot that c&d does not do the xc link. coldby of c&d says that it is really not necessary, they can get the same results without it...

ride_red_ex
07-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the thought, how much do you think the link contributes to lowering the ride height. This seems very important to me to reduce the height from the current stock setting.

Colby@C&DRacing
07-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Our rear shock is a dual rate with zero preload. This can lower the ATV up to 3"

07-19-2007, 01:17 PM
since colby already answered what can be achieved with no link, i will tell you that i went from 11.5 inches ride height in the rear to 8.5 with the link...you can make your own assumptions.

400exrider707
07-19-2007, 02:16 PM
They're all about the same. The two differences like mentioned are one comes with a link and one setup doesn't. The one with the link uses the linkage to lower the bike, and the one without uses the ZPS shock setup to lower the bike.

I have C&D rebuild fronts, which performed great, but are back at C&D for refreshening and new style pistons so should be even better, and I also have a GT Thunder rear shock and linkage, which is getting some more work done too. I liked both setups, and should like them even more now.

ride_red_ex
07-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Am I gonna be kicking myself if I don't go ahead and get the new shock pistons that are be offered while I am having my shocks sent off? Also, anyone have experience with derisi conversions?

07-20-2007, 06:57 AM
i had derisi do my fronts and i am happy with them...very happy with them

gt thunder did the rear on both my 400ex and my 450r. he got the rear for the 450r because i was able to get his rear linkage off of ebay. it was slightly used, but less than half price

cbr929rr
07-24-2007, 06:20 PM
I have C&D 450R front rebuilds and my 400ex rear dual spring conversion setup and it's awesome. I thought about getting a rear link but most of them are better for mx racing and I ride XC and trails. Alot of rear swingarm skids interfere with links and it's mandatory for me to have a .250 thick rear skid for all the rocks in the North East. Just my 2cents...

nicker71
07-25-2007, 02:27 PM
I run the gt thunder rear shock on a yfz and really like it. I was trying to sell my front ars/fx axis front end so I could buy his front end as well.

ride_red_ex
07-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Well...like speedyquad I was able to get a used gt thunder link for less than half price so I think I am going to go with that setup. The link alone made a huge difference, cant wait for the revalve and new springs.

beany
07-27-2007, 06:14 PM
If you don't mind me asking, What is the cost on the C&D rebuilds? All three??

Colby@C&DRacing
07-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by beany
If you don't mind me asking, What is the cost on the C&D rebuilds? All three??

$700

09-20-2007, 12:36 PM
has anyone tried a gtt xc link with a c&d rebuild?

Colby@C&DRacing
09-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Our conversion will need a different spring setup to use a linkage. I can be done.;)

Flynbryan19
09-25-2007, 03:45 PM
I have a GT thunder rear conversion on my z400 and I'm VERY pleased with it.

The action is very plush and the bottoming resistance was not sacrificed.

I have also ridden a 450r with GT thunders rebuilds and another time with his full kit (shocks, link, and a-arms). They both performed great and were very smooth and REALLY did a good job of absorbing the stutter bumps.