PDA

View Full Version : Engine work

Hall400ex
07-18-2007, 02:13 PM
I was wondering how many of you do all of your own motor work like cams, big bore kits, etc... and if you do install these parts yourself how difficult is it?? Thanks

davetheslave
07-18-2007, 02:36 PM
I did everything on my bike myself (Accept for the boring of the cylinder jug). It's easy enough I suppose. But that's all relative. If your mechanically inclined you can do it. If all you have done is oil changes and brake work your whole life, I would reccomend paying somebody, or you'll have a pretty tough time doing it yourself. But you gotta learn somehow. So have at it if you want, but I'd reccomend getting a full service manual atleast.

hondaman440ex
07-18-2007, 04:38 PM
I agree with dave. I did all the motor work myself except for the boring. With basic hand tools you can do most of it your self.

Originally posted by davetheslave
I did everything on my bike myself (Accept for the boring of the cylinder jug). It's easy enough I suppose. But that's all relative. If your mechanically inclined you can do it. If all you have done is oil changes and brake work your whole life, I would reccomend paying somebody, or you'll have a pretty tough time doing it yourself. But you gotta learn somehow. So have at it if you want, but I'd reccomend getting a full service manual atleast.

XXXRACER165
07-18-2007, 06:04 PM
I had a shop do most of it for me, not because I can't do it but the shop know's best. Most of the time, lol.

REDRIDDER
07-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
I had a shop do most of it for me, not because I can't do it but the shop know's best. Most of the time, lol. plus if something goes wrong it gos back to the shop :mad: but i do all my own work except boring and other machine work.

Hall400ex
07-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Do any of you run 11:1 compression piston with your stock bore?? If so how much of a difference did you notice

hondaman440ex
07-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Sorry never had a high compression on a stock bore.

ride-to-live
07-18-2007, 08:56 PM
I got a 440 big bore kit with 13:1 compression.. .. and i have a friend that is going to school for atv repair and i let him do it.. cheap and he knows what he's doing. But if its bolt on stuff, a-arms, suspension, and stuff like i will do it.. ill do my carb stuff just not motor work.

my88r
07-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
I had a shop do most of it for me, not because I can't do it but the shop know's best. Most of the time, lol.

some shops are good. but if you have a honda service manuel it will help you out alot

GOTFEAR
07-18-2007, 10:55 PM
I have my own shop and do all my work and others and keep learning new things all the time kinda like reinventing the wheele but what i see most atv motor biulders usaly small shops or back yard part time i do not rcomind a dealer to do your biuld

EX LONERIDER
07-18-2007, 11:36 PM
if you are so bold as to try... have a manual, this will tell you 95% of what you need to know to tackle the build. some good assortment of tools and a good clean area too. dont be afrid to ask questions! thats what the boards are for. if you have the time and patience to learn, it is a good step to understanding your machine alot better.

i did my own build for the first time a month ago... it was a timely process but it all came out good. i asked questions and read the sections in the book many times before proceeding with a step. most anyone that has a good mechanical know how can do it. the machining process is done by a shop so that leaves that out. most everything else is unbolting and bolting things back together. in exception for taking some care and concentration in what you are doing, in my opinion its easy.