PDA

View Full Version : battery keeps dieing

kodie
07-18-2007, 11:47 AM
i got a 400ex motor on a 300ex frame
my battery keeps dieing, when i finished the fab of the motor on the small frame it ran perfect for about a year and now the bike will pop start and run like a champ but when i shut it off and push the button to restart it it clicks. (some times it will start back up but very very rarely) what is the part called that keeps the battery charged?

Thanks
Kodie

SmokeyJohn
07-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Well i belive it is called a genorator( cant spell) but if you here a clicking it might be your your startor soilinod ....same thing happend to mine.. check you startor solionid

86 Quad R
07-19-2007, 07:20 AM
have ya tried to see if the lights work while running the quad with the batt. unhooked. you may also wanna check to see if the cells in the batt are dry.

Caseys 300ex
07-19-2007, 12:12 PM
When it clicks either your solenoid is out or u starter. Its not your battery.

gncc025
07-19-2007, 12:41 PM
yep probably the solenoid. my 400 has been doing the same thing lately. try tapping on it some with a rock or something, its not a permanent fix or anything but it will get it to crank.

kodie
07-19-2007, 03:23 PM
there is no light on it at the moment i never put one on it from when i did the motor swap, and its not the solenoid because when i go to start the bike by putting a metal object between the two prong things it sparks and then it clicks due to the battery not putting the juice out to start it, and some times the push button starts it up without me haveing to popstart it or anything like that, what i want to know is if anyone knows what the part is called that recharges the battery when the bike gets started.

Thanks
Kodie

Also casey what part of ohio u from? im in south east (Cambridge)

86 Quad R
07-19-2007, 03:46 PM
that would be the stator....

take a volt meter and check the voltage across the + and - terminals on the batt with and without the engine running and see what you get. if you get a higher reading with it running then the stator is working.

Caseys 300ex
07-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by kodie
there is no light on it at the moment i never put one on it from when i did the motor swap, and its not the solenoid because when i go to start the bike by putting a metal object between the two prong things it sparks and then it clicks due to the battery not putting the juice out to start it, and some times the push button starts it up without me haveing to popstart it or anything like that, what i want to know is if anyone knows what the part is called that recharges the battery when the bike gets started.

Thanks
Kodie

Also casey what part of ohio u from? im in south east (Cambridge)

It shouldnt be your battery. The starter might be going out. Thats the same thing mine did when the starter went out on my 300. And im about an hour north of dayton by I-75.

Aceman
07-19-2007, 11:44 PM
If all your connections are tight and clean, this is most likely a battery problem....not the stator. If it won't start immediately after you shut it off, that tells me the battery is dead, and the stator is supplying the power to run the quad once it's pop started. An easy way to check is to jump start it off your cars battery.