PDA

View Full Version : K&N Air Filter Seal

charlie211
07-18-2007, 11:42 AM
I recently had my stock foam air filter begin to tear on me at the top where it is bolts to the quad, so I decided to replace it with a K&N high flow filter.
Well, I slammed it in there yesterday and everything went smoothly, except that I am not real confident in the seal between the filter and the air box. I applied a light coat of sealing grease on both sides at this point as directed in the instructions with the weld on the filter facing up as well. It just feels like it is not close enough to be air tight.
Anybody install one of these and have the same issue that can make me feel better about knowing dirt won't be tearing up the insides of my engine?

starfckerinc57
07-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Yeah mine was real loose too. I put a small bolt in replace of that screw because you can get the bolt alot tighter, and I smear the seal with just your basic grease everytime I clean it. It helps but the K and N itself still lets in alot of dirt. I'm planning on buying another foam filter.

charlie211
07-19-2007, 05:13 AM
What if I get the pre charger sock and slide it down a bit, so that the elastic band covers the seam where the filter meets the air box? Then add a thicker coat of sealant grease?

FasstMidnightZ
07-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Basically your only option is to put a lot of grease in between the box and filter. You can blame Suzuki for that design. Although you can buy a after market filter with a aluminum adapter plate such as this.
http://www.magicracing.com/Pro-Design-Pro-Flow-Kit-Foam--LTZ400-KFX400-DVX400_p_760-874.html ;)

Old Dirtbiker
07-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Would returning it for an exchange be an option. K & N has always provided their customers with this concern.

On the otherhand, Uni filteration units provide a different system that allows easy cleaning without the worries of damage to your engine.

Just a thought,

charlie211
07-20-2007, 07:23 AM
Thanks for all the good advice... What I ended up doing was cutting the bottom off my stock filter, oiling it, and then using it as a gasket in between filter and air box. Works like a charm! No air gets through at all and the little that does gets filtered! :D

ACDVX400
07-20-2007, 08:04 PM
I am having the same sort of doughts as you are. I have the stock air box setup, and the K&N filter, along with the K&N Powerlid kit, which is the replacement of the stock top lid, and it has a filter on it. I haven't had any issues so far, and everything still works top notch. I have ridden in some pretty dusty conditions, and no probs yet. I am however thinking of switching to a no box setup. I have had no issues so far with mine though, and I have had my setup for about a year now.

nator187
07-20-2007, 09:21 PM
http://modquad.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AF3-1

You need an adapter for the air box like this to get a good seal

Woody

booterskuggs
07-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Well < I have a k@n cold air intake on my Dodge Hemi and i cleaned it the other day. It wasnt real dirty,but i wasnt happy with the light dust film in my intake tube. IT was oiled properly and the clamp was tight but there was dirt getting by. Im not happy with k@n at all