PDA

View Full Version : Using Automobile Oil In Your Ltz

ROC400
07-18-2007, 11:22 AM
I have just recently got into the "Quad World" thanks to my son. I hear lots of different stories about using auto oil in your quad.
I have just recently bought 3 LTZ400's, 1 LTZ250 and a TRX450 for my son. I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me about the type of oil to use. I currently use Honda 10W-40 in all of them and at $6 per quart and 5 Quads the oil cost is really going to add up.

Thanks for your help...

charlie211
07-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Whoops, looks like I created a new thread instead of posting a reply...

In any case I use Suzuki's 10w - 40, 4 stroke oil in my Z and it runs me $3.99 a quart...

jherbie28
07-19-2007, 03:31 PM
dont quote me on it but i dont think that you should be useing automobile oil in your bike i cant tell you why but im pretty shure you shouldent, also like the other guy said use the suzuki oil

drzoo2
07-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Automotive old contains molybdenum which it a friction modifier. Motorcycle does not contain molybdenum because it may cause clutch slipage. Try rockymountatv. I run Maxima ATV oil. They have it at 4.50 a quart but have small discounts on more quantities. 6 quarts run .10 cheaper per bottle

z

LRD450R
07-27-2007, 09:13 AM
dude i have a suzuki 250 ozark and i've auto oil for three years and i ant had one beat of troble out of it till the beganing of summer when i blue up the moter and ant road it sece

drzoo2
07-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by LRD450R
dude i have a suzuki 250 ozark and i've auto oil for three years and i ant had one beat of troble out of it till the beganing of summer when i blue up the moter and ant road it sece

:grr:
I really am not trying to be an @ss but you do not belong in this conversation. Your statement has no merit. The Ozark is not a friction clutch so the fact that using car oil in it makes no impact on this thread. Motorcylce oil is designed for a wet clutch system. Because car oil may work for some does not mean it's the best for the application. There numerous threads on this already.

You know what? I run vasoline in my rototiller with no problems. Everyone should do it. Shot of hairspray in the intake for that really tough soil.

z

Sc0
07-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Have been using Auto oil in my toys for awhile now, My '03 KFX400 is still on it's stock clutch and has 150hrs on it and runs fine... I have a '01 Honda CBR600F4i that I put 28k miles on and it still has the stock clutch. (Delvac 1300 oil, wouldn't run anything else other than heavy duty diesel oil but I am in Texas and freezing temps don't happen too often.) Also have friends with YFZ's, Raptors, 400Ex's, and 250R's that run the same type of non-MC oil and their engines/clutches are far from being trashed by doing so...

It's your decision but 1 gallon of auto oil runs $10 now. Why pay more if you don't need to, scaring consumers can only work for so long?

drzoo2
07-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Glad it works for you and you save a dollar. Do you use walmart brand to save a little more? I'm sure lots of people use junk or the wrong oil with no issues. I guess I'll by into all that marketing hype and use what's made for my machine.

I don't remember saying anywhere there was going to be trashed engines or clutches by using car oil. Car oil has friction modifiers where as motorcycle oil doesn't. It's a touch more expensive because they don't sell it in anywhere near the same quantity as conventional automobile oil.
z

mojavedude
08-06-2007, 06:34 PM
i had automotive oil in my kfx400 (same as ltz) and ever time id gas it going up a hill or gass it in a wheelie to keep it up, the clutch would slip. after that i changed the oil, and put in shell rotella t. its an oil for diesels, and my dad said those have wet clutches like quads, so i tried it and almost no slip age. it sometime slips but not nearly as much as the automotive oil. the slipping might be because the was still automotive oil on the clutch plate though, i dont know.

rotella t isnt as expensive as some actual atv oils but i say it works well and some one said that rekluse (they make manual to semi auto clutch conversions) actually recomends rotella t.

POLKY
08-12-2007, 07:05 AM
i use penzoil 10w-30 all year. change after every 3-4 hard rides and never had any problems. doing hill climbs all day in 80-90 degree weather. call it luck or just a money racket?

mx8
09-06-2008, 12:10 PM
All i know is back in the day when i never knew better, I had a honda atc 350x, atc110, atc185s we rode them everyday all day in the summer. And never changed the oil, just added 10w30 car oil or whatever was around . I never had any problems at all with them. I don't do that now, but i do still run a good brand car oil in my 400ex. And change it every three rides. Just my 2 cents :D